Joney and the Bishop

hissingsid

1 hour ago, Thomas Dalby said:

Then there’s the question of which wing of the Church of England any particular Bishop represents

Not really. Rightly or wrongly the seat is there because the CoE is the established church, ie. it has legal status via Tynwald and not because of which wing he/she belongs to.

The current bish is from the Anglo Catholic wing but previous incumbents have come from the evangelical wing, others middle of the road wing but to my knowledge that hasn't affected their pastoral responsibilities or their 'political' position in regard to Tynwald.

If truth be known I suspect that most of them have regarded Tynwald as being a pain in the ass, something that has to be endured. So if the position is removed I don't think a new bishop would be that concerned or bothered to be honest. Although I'd like to think that rather than being ex officio that the Keys would vote for the bishop to take the seat because as far as I know the bishop does not hold a membership of any government department. The seat would be taken by convention and sit outside of the political arena.

Any how, as others have said, there are far more pressing things to sort out. Bashing the Bish seems to me to be very shallow politics. Deal with the real issues of the day. Stop tinkering round the edges and get on with it.

1 hour ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

I've often found it to be the other way round - it is the religitards who hold the ignorance of what is in the bible.

Often displayed when the phrase "you're interpreting it wrong............."

Precious few know of the prophecy described in the Bible, which needs interpreting because a lot of it is visionary. Even bishops let alone Tynwald, etc., are clueless about what’s to come. I won’t preach to you though.

There may be a lot of more pressing issues to deal with but the point is the opportunity only ever really arises without causing unnecessary angst is between bishops.   The post over here is only considered as a nice one to get prior to retiring anyway a so of winding down jobby.    It will probably be another six or so years now before a more enlightened Tynwald will do the deed, hopefully.

17 minutes ago, ADELE said:

There may be a lot of more pressing issues to deal with but the point is the opportunity only ever really arises without causing unnecessary angst is between bishops.   The post over here is only considered as a nice one to get prior to retiring anyway a so of winding down jobby.    It will probably be another six or so years now before a more enlightened Tynwald will do the deed, hopefully.

Where on earth do you get that information from? 

1 hour ago, Malik said:

Precious few know of the prophecy described in the Bible, which needs interpreting because a lot of it is visionary. Even bishops let alone Tynwald, etc., are clueless about what’s to come. I won’t preach to you though.

Ahhh - you must be one the precious few then.

One of my favourites - is sending a bear to kill 40 kids for calling someone a baldy - how do you interpret that one ?

The last few Bishops have gone on to retire after serving their time on the Island that is where I got my information from.    I have also been told that if the Bishop gets dropped from the Leg Co we will not get another one we will have to come under a diocese in the UK.

Isn't there something  involved in the wages of the Bishop? If he is paid by the Govt, the church don't have to pay him?

So removal of the Diocese is a bit of  spite from the church? Although it would only be few churchgoers who be bothered by the removal.

Just now, ADELE said:

The last few Bishops have gone on to retire after serving their time on the Island that is where I got my information from.    I have also been told that if the Bishop gets dropped from the Leg Co we will not get another one we will have to come under a diocese in the UK.

The only position available after a bishop will be Archbishop but to suggest that Sodor & Man is a place where you wind down and take it easy before retiring is nonsense.  Noel Jones (d2009) & Robert Paterson both retired on health grounds and so will Bishop Peter. Graeme Knowles was appointed as Dean to St Pauls, London.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Isn't there something  involved in the wages of the Bishop? If he is paid by the Govt, the church don't have to pay him?

So removal of the Diocese is a bit of  spite from the church? Although it would only be few churchgoers who be bothered by the removal.

The Bishops stipend is paid from York ( I think).

2 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Ahhh - you must be one the precious few then.

One of my favourites - is sending a bear to kill 40 kids for calling someone a baldy - how do you interpret that one ?

Only since you ask, Elisha is sometimes known as a picture of Christ. He was a prophet with a double portion of the Spirit. That account, for me, is also a forward picture of the last part of Revelation 6:8, when the Wrath of God and the Lamb gets underway soon.

5 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Not really. Rightly or wrongly the seat is there because the CoE is the established church, ie. it has legal status via Tynwald and not because of which wing he/she belongs to.

The current bish is from the Anglo Catholic wing but previous incumbents have come from the evangelical wing, others middle of the road wing but to my knowledge that hasn't affected their pastoral responsibilities or their 'political' position in regard to Tynwald.

Is that right? I didn't think the seat exists simply because it is the established church. I understood that the seat exists because the legislative council was originally what we have inherited from mediaeval times where a group of representatives of the English crown used to represent and advise the Lord of Mann based on their area of expertise.  The bishop's seat is the last old position that has remained.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Malik said:

Only since you ask, Elisha is sometimes known as a picture of Christ. He was a prophet with a double portion of the Spirit. That account, for me, is also a forward picture of the last part of Revelation 6:8, when the Wrath of God and the Lamb gets underway soon.

If you can't provide evidence that your God exists then you can't really expect anyone to pay your beliefs any notice. Same goes for all Christians and their delusions.  Though Revelations is the most bonkers part of the bible. A loopy addition to something already irrational. The only thing interesting or worthy of attention about it is how it ended up in bible. 

Edited by La_Dolce_Vita
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

The Bishops stipend is paid from York ( I think).

.... but he is also paid as a member of Legco and that may be all or part of wage?

I'm sure I have heard in the past that the money is part of the reason the church retain the Diocese and have used it as a 'threat' to removing the bish?