Joney and the Bishop

hissingsid

54 minutes ago, Malik said:

Do you think he said that because he was pro lgbt?

What an incredibly strange thing to say LGBT is acceptable as the norm to most rational individuals and isn’t even a conversation in our house I have a daughter going to Madrid Pride this week I’d be more concerned if she was going to Church - anyhow it’s the church and religion that denies rights- is it at this point we talk about Lot and his daughters (Incest fine homosexuals not fine) it’s your book @Malik

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Gladys said:

You have to prove the very first assertion there, given that the Bible is a recording of the world order by monks and those with no scientific expertise, background or understanding, from an age heavily dependent on superstition to explain the world.  It is not a reliable source document  which has been subject to peer review.  

I understand that religion can offer comfort and reassurance to many people, and that is fine, but do not misconstrue belief with fact.  Some great stories in the Bible though, much like the Greek, Roman and Norse writings. 

Nope, I don’t have to prove that. Anyone is free to disbelieve the Bible. Science is just knowledge, it’s from Latin for knowledge. Christians are drawn by the Holy Spirit to believe and have their eye’s opened to see the Bible as the truth and they have wisdom which is a higher level of knowledge.

Thank you all for your replies. I just noticed Aled Jones explores the roots of Christianity on the Isle of Man in tomorrow’s Songs of Praise if anyone’s interested.

25 minutes ago, Malik said:

Nope, I don’t have to prove that. Anyone is free to disbelieve the Bible. Science is just knowledge, it’s from Latin for knowledge. Christians are drawn by the Holy Spirit to believe and have their eye’s opened to see the Bible as the truth and they have wisdom which is a higher level of knowledge.

Thank you all for your replies. I just noticed Aled Jones explores the roots of Christianity on the Isle of Man in tomorrow’s Songs of Praise if anyone’s interested.

Science is essentially one person’s theory which is then repeatedly analysed tested peer reviewed and scrutinised until either proven as fact or not at which point the process is repeated- when you say I don’t have to prove it you become a laughingstock.

Its like the old adage of saying to a non believer they are going to hell - is exactly the same as telling a rational adult they aren’t getting presents from Santa.

15 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Science is essentially one person’s theory which is then repeatedly analysed tested peer reviewed and scrutinised until either proven as fact or not at which point the process is repeated...

Isn't it more of a method for trying to understand things? And where there is a hypothesis or are hypotheses which can lead to a theory.  The theory best explains something but not necessarily to prove or get facts.  

6 minutes ago, La_Dolce_Vita said:

Isn't it more of a method for trying to understand things? And where there is a hypothesis or are hypotheses which can lead to a theory.  The theory best explains something but not necessarily to prove or get facts.  

Probably yes - but the principle of put it out there and if disproved that’s fine is acceptable in science whereas in religion it isn’t 

51 minutes ago, Malik said:

Nope, I don’t have to prove that. 

At the least, you do need to provide us with good reason for us to believe as you do.

What you need to do is demonstrate to us why you believe in these things. And we don't need proof. We just need some evidence to think your beliefs are credible. All Christians need to do this. 

1 hour ago, Malik said:

Nope, I don’t have to prove that. 

OK, rationalise it then.

As I have said I do not have an issue with religious people, but I do have an issue with religious people expecting others to blindly accept their faith as truth.  Particularly when religion is used as a justification to impose terrible harm on their fellow men who may have a different faith or live outside of the expected standards of that faith. 

In that latter category it is the ultimate abrogation of personal responsibility to their god and faith. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, La_Dolce_Vita said:

At the least, you do need to provide us with good reason for us to believe as you do.

What you need to do is demonstrate to us why you believe in these things. And we don't need proof. We just need some evidence to think your beliefs are credible. All Christians need to do this. 

22 minutes ago, Gladys said:

OK, rationalise it then.

As I have said I do not have an issue with religious people, but I do have an issue with religious people expecting others to blindly accept their faith as truth.  Particularly when religion is used as a justification to impose terrible harm on their fellow men who may have a different faith or live outside of the expected standards of that faith. 

In that latter category it is the ultimate abrogation of personal responsibility to their god and faith. 

You can just read Revelation 21 and decide what future you want. The evidence will be revealed in the future.

13 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Oh the one with a new Earth conveniently replacing an old earth - that fact filled chapter 

Yes Helmut, I would advise anyone to read it at least once, even over and over again before it’s too late.

• Haha 2