Joney and the Bishop

hissingsid

On 6/24/2023 at 10:12 AM, Malik said:

Science doesn’t know where matter comes from and how atoms self-form immediately after the Big Bang, which are made up of as many as 37 sub-atomic particles. They are the basic building blocks of life and this physical world. Science says atoms make up 5% of this world, the other 95% they know nothing about. It’s impossible and proven mathematically improbable for atoms to form dna without it being created by a creator. Atoms are inanimate and have no consciousness, where does that come from? 

I don’t believe we evolved from apes. Apes don’t look at the sky and have never prayed, however, every tribe in the history of mankind have believed in spirits. Mortality didn’t invent God, God invented mortality. Science has its positives but on creation and existence it has led people into a cosy delusion. Sorry to go off topic.

But the basic building blocks are also an illusion. When the atom was discovered it was thought to be the basic indivisible unit. Then when the atom was split we found that there were even more fundamental particles held together by enormous, almost unbelievable, forces, hence Einstein's bemusement because he immediately thought that E=MC2 couldn't possibly be correct. But it was, and hence nuclear weapons were born. So all there really is in existence is energy. Whether it be in the form of heat, light, matter in all of its forms, us or anything else, that's where we are. It's raw universal energy. That's the science.

It doesn't require a god in the sense that you believe. If some act of "creation" took place, it doesn't follow at all that this was an act of the entity that you believe to exist. There is absolutely no way for you to assert this as fact. You're telling us that it is so, but that doesn't make it a fact. You choose to believe it and that's all. It should be afforded no special status because of blind belief.

These discussions remind me of Douglas Adams and the story of the Babel Fish.

"The Babel fish is small, yellow, leech-like, and probably the oddest thing in the Universe. It feeds on brainwave energy received not from its own carrier, but from those around it. It absorbs all unconscious mental frequencies from this brainwave energy to nourish itself with. It then excretes into the mind of its carrier a telepathic matrix formed by combining the conscious thought frequencies with nerve signals picked up from the speech centres of the brain which has supplied them. The practical upshot of all this is that if you stick a Babel fish in your ear you can instantly understand anything said to you in any form of language. The speech patterns you actually hear decode the brainwave matrix which has been fed into your mind by your Babel fish.

"Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that something so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God. Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 9.18

The Babel fish talking to Arthur Dent

"The argument goes something like this: 'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, 'for proof denies faith, and without faith, I am nothing.' 'But, says Man, the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.' 'Oh dear,' says God, 'I hadn't thought of that,' and vanishes in a puff of logic. 'Oh, that was easy,' says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.
"Most leading theologians claim that this argument is a load of dingo's kidneys, but that didn't stop Oolon Colluphid from making a small fortune when he used it as the theme of his best-selling book, Well That About Wraps It Up For God.
"Meanwhile, the poor Babel fish, by effectively removing all barriers to communication between different races and cultures, has caused more and bloodier wars than anything else in the history of creation."

1 hour ago, woolley said:

It doesn't require a god in the sense that you believe. If some act of "creation" took place, it doesn't follow at all that this was an act of the entity that you believe to exist. There is absolutely no way for you to assert this as fact. You're telling us that it is so, but that doesn't make it a fact. You choose to believe it and that's all. It should be afforded no special status because of blind belief.

The more I think about it, if Malik was a real Christian and not a wind-up, then, as someone has said, rational argument is not going to do any good. If someone is just making references to the Bible then they're not operating on the same level when it comes to the subject of belief.

• Thanks 1

Why would I be banned for suggesting sock puppetry is clearly going on here. It’s quite a reasonable assertion from the demographic and dynamic of these forums. There’s too much antichrist sentiment and far too much pro lgbt, non-creationist nonsense. It wouldn’t surprise me if Stephen Fry has bought this forum as he runs many others anonymously and with the help of locals as spotters/helpers their agenda gets pushed to the extreme, voraciously.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Malik said:

Why would I be banned for suggesting sock puppetry is clearly going on here. It’s quite a reasonable assertion from the demographic and dynamic of these forums. There’s too much antichrist sentiment and far too much pro lgbt, non-creationist nonsense. It wouldn’t surprise me if Stephen Fry has bought this forum as he runs many others anonymously and with the help of locals as spotters/helpers their agenda gets pushed to the extreme, voraciously.

That wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.   

AFAIK, he has disdain for the IOM due to it's repressive anti-homosexuality laws which it was dragged kicking and screaming to reform.  

Not the best argument old chum. 

13 minutes ago, Gladys said:

That wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.   

AFAIK, he has disdain for the IOM due to it's repressive anti-homosexuality laws which it was dragged kicking and screaming to reform.  

Not the best argument old chum. 

I bet he’s owned this from the get go then. The same drivel gets posted on his other forums and wonder what his post rate is? It can’t one every 30 seconds.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

You’re comparing chalk with cheese. The Bishop over here is only one voice of 35 that make up Tynwald. He is likely to talk sense, better than most. Indeed MHK ‘Stu’, on the opening page of this thread said the Bishop “often makes good points”. He followed that up, however, by stating “but that isn’t the point”. As a member of the electorate I would want members to make good points as opposed to bad or indifferent particularly when most of the electorate were uninspired to vote. Only 50% of the electorate turned out to vote in Stu’s constituency and 30% for Joney’s.

The electorate, I imagine, would be able to contact the Bishop about their concerns just like any other member of Tynwald.

7 minutes ago, Malik said:

The Bishop over here is only one voice of 35 that make up Tynwald. He is likely to talk sense, better than most.

I don't think many people would be elected if they started introducing their 'imaginary invisible friend standing next to me' to people on the doorstep when campaigning.

5 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I don't think many people would be elected if they started introducing their 'imaginary invisible friend standing next to me' to people on the doorstep when campaigning.

I doubt very much the Bishop introduces you to God when you meet him had one too many in the Rovers