Joney and the Bishop

hissingsid

17 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Make sure you cut your hair too. Only the ones with long hair get taken up in the rapture. I’ve already cut mine in preparation. I don’t drink alcohol as a rule but, if it’s the end of the world then I might just make an exception.

Party ‘round your’s it is then! 

Well, I had hoped to host a Rapture Party rather than a Tribulation Party, (rapture sounds so much nicer than tribulation)  but needs must. 

Edited by Gladys

1 hour ago, Malik said:

I am sorry to say you are completely clueless and likely to be walking around in a drunken haze when the Tribulation gets under way.

What sort of tribulationist are you? The religious jury seem to be out on an agreed definition. It appears there are many theories about this tribulation, which one have you picked to believe? Which is absolute for you?

"Religion ends and philosophy begins, just as alchemy ends and chemistry begins and astrology ends and astronomy begins."

"If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason we would be living in a quite different world."

Do you see..? 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Not very compassionate for an apparently religious person...

Revelationists don't have compassion. This is why it is really satisfying when they die and the rapture hasn't happened. Fucking assholes every single one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, quilp said:

In 1972 (I was 12) I applied for a summer job at a local music shop selling records and instruments. Full of beans at my resourcefulness, I bounded home to tell the old man. When I told him where the job was, much to my chagrin, he just laughed and said, "you'll never get a job there." I asked why and he said, "because you're a Catholic son, and he (the owner) hates Catholics." I didn’t get the job. In past times on this Island there existed a quiet animosity between the faiths in some circles so there was a degree of sectarianism. Did a Catholic bishop ever hold the position in Tynwald? Interesting to know...

When I did some equality and inclusivity training for the police I had a game that included asking the new recruits the dates when catholics on the IOM first

Had the vote

Joined the police

Became an advocate

Same questions for women, LGBT, Jewish, BAME.

The actual answers are interesting, and how far out the students answers were was eye opening.

Last catholic bishop was Thomas Stanley appointed ( well reappointed ) by Mary 1 in 1545. He was a member of the Lords Council ( forerunner of LegCo ) and signed a number of Acts of Tynwald.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Well, I had hoped to host a Rapture Party rather than a Tribulation Party, (rapture sounds so much nicer than tribulation)  but needs must. 

I don’t care what you call it just so long as it’s a party. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I don’t care what you call it just so long as it’s a party. 

I worked out you’re a Snake Pliskin fan from your other forum. Think about inviting/joining up with someone like that, or Rick Grimes for when the alcohol and other substances become unavailable. Revelation says you can get drunk on blood apparently.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Malik said:

That quote was taken from Wikipedia. It said various churches so I assume all the denominations that were around a century ago. I don’t think there’s ever been any sectarian violence on the island, they seem to get on together peacefully as the whole church should.

Your source litterally continues ...

"Like similar parties in neighbouring countries, the MLP's influences were more Methodist than Marxist."

I'm not saying there was sectarian violence. Just that the MLP's founders were mostly methodists (there were various methodist and other non-conformist churches BTW) whereas the established church (the CofE) supported the establishment since its bishop was firmly ensconced in Tynwald.

9 minutes ago, Declan said:

Your source litterally continues ...

"Like similar parties in neighbouring countries, the MLP's influences were more Methodist than Marxist."

I'm not saying there was sectarian violence. Just that the MLP's founders were mostly methodists (there were various methodist and other non-conformist churches BTW) whereas the established church (the CofE) supported the establishment since its bishop was firmly ensconced in Tynwald.

Marxism is non-religious, that sentence just suggests the MLP founders were Christians. It looks like the current MLP are not otherwise they would have attended the recent meetings regarding the new bishop, I never heard their opinion on it voiced there.

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

I can clarify, she is one of Stephen's fries.  I am the other one.

You will never know how good it feels to get that off my chest. 

Why won’t Mr Wright admit it. Is he lgbt too and likes the God hating on here?

5 minutes ago, Malik said:

Marxism is non-religious, that sentence just suggests the MLP founders were Christians. It looks like the current MLP are not otherwise they would have attended the recent meetings regarding the new bishop, I never heard their opinion on it voiced there.

They could still be Christian but believe that the bishop has no automatic right to be in LegCo

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malik said:

That quote was taken from Wikipedia. It said various churches so I assume all the denominations that were around a century ago. I don’t think there’s ever been any sectarian violence on the island, they seem to get on together peacefully as the whole church should.

Various Churches refer to slightly altered versions of the Middle Eastern Jewish fable.

The fact that “various” is now acceptable to you as a way to back your assertion/ assumption is bizarre.

Come clean which version of it is your personal view?

Dont swerve it and give a generic “all children of the same god” dishwater response.

Nail your colours to the mast (or cross) and tell us which sect you subscribe to.

Not a trick question as most of the Abrahamic followers including you will quickly tell you who they cheer for on the weekends - but then when pressed close ranks.

Edited by Mr Helmut Fromage
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Malik said:

But presumably most Christians who are not members of the C of E would feel it's not their place or responsibility to have any input into the leadership choice of a different denomination.  Those religious people who do not identify as Christians would feel this even more.