Joney and the Bishop

hissingsid

16 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Any other time I would agree with many of the posters on here. This is classic navel gazing at a time when things on the island are such dire straits - and I’m not talking money for nothing here! 

I’m not convinced that a man who believes in imaginary beings really brings much to the table when as you righty allude we are rock bottom. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Hail Jesus.

The hopeless freaks have voted to keep the bishop as a voting member of our democratic process.

'Some' hopeless freaks....check Hansard for the voting.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, StCatherine said:

I’m not convinced that a man who believes in imaginary beings really brings much to the table when as you righty allude we are rock bottom. 

Maybe not, but that same man has very high morals and devotion to his people. Far higher than the morals and devotion of many, if not most of the elected representatives. From that perspective alone, we should all be glad he ix there and his vote counts. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

The people have spoken! Democracy wins!

The amendment to remove his vote was far closer (14 in Keys, 0 in LegCo (it would have been close if Edge hadn't changed her mind). I think LegCo were working on the basis of self-preservation. If Keys remove the Bishops vote where do they stop next? Removing LegCo votes in Tynwald? Making them face a public vote?

It was a very weird debate where some of the people who voted against it seemed very nervous. 

They all sang the praise of the current bishop and seemed to collectively forget that the next bishop might not be as nice. The case in point being a previous bishop playing Peter Karran bingo with LegCo Members.

TLDR: LegCo got spooked and feared for their jobs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

The case in point being a previous bishop playing Peter Karran bingo with LegCo Members.

Hah hah! That was a classic. The Manx Radio broadcast mics got left on during a break, the Bishop was overheard talking to his LegCo pals slagging Peter Karran's speech. Oh, and one of them was our Corky, of all people. 

Meanwhile in the Keys, Phil Gawne was overheard slagging the public for daring to go against his plans for Douglas Promenade. "As if they know what they are talking about".

Then Howard was overheard firing up his mobie to tell Manx Radio to turn the mics off. And there the fun stopped.

Edited by Barlow

If there had been a referendum I would put my pension on the motion being passed but the LegCo members were probably getting twitchy in case they were next and we all know how certain politicians would rather run down Strand Street naked than rock the boat.

• Like 1