Joney and the Bishop

hissingsid

4 hours ago, StCatherine said:

Absolute shower. Tim Glover is an extension of the Arbory Methodist Church (Mrs Glover) so his comments were hardly surprising. 

Tim Glover gave a peculiar speech in which he lamented that more MHKs had spoken in the debate on the Bishop than on the Population Rebalancing debate. Needless to say he didn’t speak in the Population Rebalancing debate himself.

I thought the Bishop himself uncharacteristically got the tone wrong. Describing himself as the voice of “legitimate dissent” without articulating what gave his dissent legitimacy

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ADELE said:

If there had been a referendum I would put my pension on the motion being passed but the LegCo members were probably getting twitchy in case they were next and we all know how certain politicians would rather run down Strand Street naked than rock the boat.

I am not necessarily disagreeing with your point of view, but I would suggest that perhaps you don't know the people of the Isle of Man as well as you might think you do.

(Oh, and referendums don't work especially when seen as some sort of panacea, we all know that for sure now).

15 hours ago, Cambon said:

Maybe not, but that same man has very high morals and devotion to his people. Far higher than the morals and devotion of many, if not most of the elected representatives. From that perspective alone, we should all be glad he ix there and his vote counts. 

Presumably the chief constable has high morals and devotion to his people. Do you want him in LEGCO too?

52 minutes ago, Barlow said:

(Oh, and referendums don't work especially when seen as some sort of panacea, we all know that for sure now).

Yes, it appears that dumb people vote in referendums too. 

I'd like to know more about how it works in Switzerland though.  I understand they referendum quite a lot of stuff and don't appear to be a basket case.  Maybe they just have less dumb people? 

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Yes, it appears that dumb people vote in referendums too. 

I'd like to know more about how it works in Switzerland though.  I understand they referendum quite a lot of stuff and don't appear to be a basket case.  Maybe they just have less dumb people? 

Probably.

Politics in Isle of Man depends on whether the electorate know, or know of the candidate. A popularity contest sort of thing. For example "oh that nice Mr So-and-so off Manx Radio" (includes Geoff Corkish who up to being elected a politician was only known mainly for singing songs in local church halls and speaking on behalf of the Isle of Man Steam Packet on Manx Radio all the time).

This is illustrated in UK over the Brexit Referendum. Most (ie 99.99%, seriously) hadn't a clue what Brexit might entail, but they had the option of collectively making such an important decision. Many politicians were tight lipped and the people needed some guidance. Enter Boris fucking Johnson, who up to a few days prior to the referendum had kept tight lipped and undecided about his stance. Aye, that nice Mr Johnson who we all knew from the telly and that, who waves union jack flags whilst suspended from somewhere or other. I like him. We'll go with what he reckons.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2023 at 12:46 AM, HiVibes said:

He should just stand for election, it's a very low bar.

Yeah, with 54.7% of the population recorded as Christian here according to 2021 census he could usurp one of the perverse at least. I never voted for any of them last time.

When people are asked about religion and they do not follow any particular church on a form they usually put Christian down even if the last time they prayed was when a child years ago I would guess not many put heathen down.   As for not reading the public’s take on this matter the majority of the people I have to on this subject either agree that the Bishop should not have a vote or could not care less either way.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Malik said:

Yeah, with 54.7% of the population recorded as Christian here according to 2021 census he could usurp one of the perverse at least. I never voted for any of them last time.

That percentage isn't strictly speaking true because the question was optional.

Fun fact: I don't think it applies here, but until fairly recently CofE clergy weren't allowed to stand for the UK Parliament on the grounds that they were already represented by the bishops in the House of Lords. 

1 hour ago, Malik said:

No It was 54.7% of the people who answered the question on religion ticked Christian.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

That percentage isn't strictly speaking true because the question was optional.

26 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

No It was 54.7% of the people who answered the question on religion ticked Christian.

1 hour ago, ADELE said:

When people are asked about religion and they do not follow any particular church on a form they usually put Christian down even if the last time they prayed was when a child years ago I would guess not many put heathen down.  

These are somewhat twisted replies. There would have been a box to tick on the census form indicating no religion. Is there sock puppetry going on on this forum as well, to push an agenda?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Malik said:

These are somewhat twisted replies. There would have been a box to tick on the census form indicating no religion. Is there sock puppetry going on on this forum as well, to push an agenda?

There was indeed:

image.png.4881d1a7b53828eebc785ae8b3a1eab1.png

But as you can see people didn't have to fill in any of the boxes, so the 54.7% was of those who did.  I reanalysed the figures in a previous comment I linked to.

3 hours ago, ADELE said:

When people are asked about religion and they do not follow any particular church on a form they usually put Christian down even if the last time they prayed was when a child years ago...

Yes, I agree.  Over 50% putting Christian down must be understood as nothing more than a lot of people ticking the box when you probably believe in some vague idea of a God. There simply aren't anywhere near that number of people who take Bible seriously and know much of what is in that book.

9 minutes ago, La_Dolce_Vita said:

Yes, I agree.  Over 50% putting Christian down must be understood as nothing more than a lot of people ticking the box when you probably believe in some vague idea of a God. There simply aren't anywhere near that number of people who take Bible seriously and know much of what is in that book.

There are few people who take the Bible as seriously as you imply. That doesn't mean that the majority don't have Christian beliefs (as opposed to the godforsaken alternatives) and are happy to run their lives at least loosely based on 'the Bible'.

I don't know the Bishop but I know what he stands for. And it's a damn sight better than the vast majority of the rest of Tynwald, past and present.

• Like 1