Joney and the Bishop

hissingsid

I don't mean that they don't have Christian beliefs necessarily but the Bishop is someone who presumably does take the Bible and its contents seriously.  They is a disconnect  between those who profess to have Christian beliefs and someone who is a Christian and takes the Bible seriously.  The bishop hardly represents those people when most of their beliefs amount to little more than cherry-picked warm and fuzzy stuff about Jesus and God loving everyone, not doing unto others..., and the stuff about heaven.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

There was indeed:

image.png.4881d1a7b53828eebc785ae8b3a1eab1.png

But as you can see people didn't have to fill in any of the boxes, so the 54.7% was of those who did.  I reanalysed the figures in a previous comment I linked to.

I beg your pardon and didn’t realise your initial link. I got the figures from the Isle of Man Wikipedia page. Either way Christianity is the majority faith by a healthy margin of 10% from the next- ‘no religion’. I wonder why so many chose not to reply?

I became born again in 2018, was delighted to find it was still an option on this last census and ticked the box for the very first time in my 55 years to that date, with glee.

20 minutes ago, Malik said:

I beg your pardon and didn’t realise your initial link. I got the figures from the Isle of Man Wikipedia page. Either way Christianity is the majority faith by a healthy margin of 10% from the next- ‘no religion’. I wonder why so many chose not to reply?

I became born again in 2018, was delighted to find it was still an option on this last census and ticked the box for the very first time in my 55 years to that date, with glee.

Thought we were only born once. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In the debate yesterday in fact one of the best contributions in favour of the Bishop being retained came from - and you might want to sit down for this - Peter Greenhill. In a mercifully short speech he came at it not heavily from a religious angle but rather to point out that a Bishop will almost invariably from their work have life experiences which not many other politicians will have experienced, and that can bring value to Tynwald. I wouldn’t say it persuaded me but it was a valid and I think original viewpoint

• Like 1

It is important for the Sith to have someone in the Government acting on the behalf of all religions, it makes their take over of us so much easier, Just keep pretending that you don't want the Bishop with very poor motions, while in the back ground getting rid of all the Jedi (Rob Callister is Gungan Jar Jar Binks), and having all the clones Chipped ( civil servants).

Edited by Holte End

14 hours ago, La_Dolce_Vita said:

Yes, I agree.  Over 50% putting Christian down must be understood as nothing more than a lot of people ticking the box when you probably believe in some vague idea of a God. There simply aren't anywhere near that number of people who take Bible seriously and know much of what is in that book.

Also the bishop doesn't represent most Christians. Not the Catholics, Not the Methodists, Not the Living Hopers etc. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, La_Dolce_Vita said:

Over 50% putting Christian down must be understood as nothing more than a lot of people ticking the box when you probably believe in some vague idea of a God. There simply aren't anywhere near that number of people who take Bible seriously and know much of what is in that book.

Ignorance of what’s in the Bible is down to meddling politicians like Joney Faragher who think they know better, often ignoring the beliefs of the electorate. Teaching of the Bible in schools has practically been done away with because of this meddling and a few might rejoice.

Secularism won’t be achieved by the meddling secular politicians neither will progress be made when the Bible is ignored.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thomas Dalby said:

In the debate yesterday in fact one of the best contributions in favour of the Bishop being retained came from - and you might want to sit down for this - Peter Greenhill. In a mercifully short speech he came at it not heavily from a religious angle but rather to point out that a Bishop will almost invariably from their work have life experiences which not many other politicians will have experienced, and that can bring value to Tynwald. I wouldn’t say it persuaded me but it was a valid and I think original viewpoint

Everybody has had 'life experiences'. It doesn't mean they should sit in Tynwald.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Everybody has had 'life experiences'. It doesn't mean they should sit in Tynwald.

Except Watterson - he's been an MHK since he was 12. 

To be fair the Bishop is usually one of the better educated members, has managerial experience in an arcane bureaucracy and the soft skills to exercise influence quietly.

But I'm not sure that is a good thing. Since he's a place man of English PM and only claims to represent 54% (less catholics, envangelicals and non-conformists) of the population. 

59 minutes ago, Malik said:

Ignorance of what’s in the Bible is down to meddling politicians like Joney Faragher who think they know better, often ignoring the beliefs of the electorate. Teaching of the Bible in schools has practically been done away with because of this meddling and a few might rejoice.

Secularism won’t be achieved by the meddling secular politicians neither will progress be made when the Bible is ignored.

I've often found it to be the other way round - it is the religitards who hold the ignorance of what is in the bible.

Often displayed when the phrase "you're interpreting it wrong............."

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Malik said:

Shouldn't you be concentrating on colouring in a picture in reception class rather than posting on manxforums?

When the Dignity in Dying bill is voted on the Bishop will hardly have an open mind but he will have a vote.   Every member of Tynwald should approach an emotive subject, as this is, with an open mind and remember they are representing their constituents when they vote not their own ideals.   I doubt it will get very far unfortunately as it has not gone through the House of Commons yet and everyone knows we must not get ahead of our lords and masters we just follow on usually about 20 years later.