Isle of Man and Other Mobile Phone Contracts/PAYG

Albert Tatlock

As things frequently change - What's the best option these days for a mobile calling both IOM and UK landlines and mobiles from the IOM - and roaming doing that in the UK too? ...and using data for apps such as email, youtube and whatsapp etc. without worrying about out-of-this-world data charges?

Manx Telecom, Sure or other across?

Got a dual SIM phone - but need to operate mainly from one existing IOM mobile number for calls.

Would appreciate current thoughts and experiences.

• 2 weeks later...

Roaming again this week, esim’s are absolutely the way to go.

I think they are all roughly the same price, currently using Airalo on mine and my teenagers phones.

No messing around changing SIM cards, still have the main sim for calls/SMS so people can get hold of us.

I think the only limitation I have seen is that the device being used needs to support esim and can’t be a WiFi only like a tablet without cellular slot.

• 3 months later...

We had a lot of success using eSIMS travelling through Europe in the summer. So easy to use (on the Airalo app).

I’m trying to see if I could also use an eSIM back here on the island.  I’ve bought one for the Isle of Man, but I’m having no luck activating it. It needs to be connected to Manx Telecom - I can select that on Settings, but I’m not seeing any ‘bars’ and no 4G.  

Has anybody used one while living here and had any success or is it not possible?

3 hours ago, Willy Brennan said:

We had a lot of success using eSIMS travelling through Europe in the summer. So easy to use (on the Airalo app).

I’m trying to see if I could also use an eSIM back here on the island.  I’ve bought one for the Isle of Man, but I’m having no luck activating it. It needs to be connected to Manx Telecom - I can select that on Settings, but I’m not seeing any ‘bars’ and no 4G.  

Has anybody used one while living here and had any success or is it not possible?

Telecom and Sure are both currently saying they can’t support esim on iPhone

That is down to Apple though.  As far as I know bothe are pushing to have the functionality available but it needs to come from Apple.

I have no idea what the situation is with Android.

I've seen a third party service that can support an esim even  on a non esim enabled phone 

https://esim.me/

I'm not sure if it will work in the IOM though..

I've seen that it has mixed reviews as well..

Has anyone tried it here.? 

My phone doesn't support an esim so I'm looking for an alternative..

Edited by mad_manx

On 9/16/2023 at 5:49 PM, CrazyDave said:

That is down to Apple though.  As far as I know bothe are pushing to have the functionality available but it needs to come from Apple.

I'm not entirely sure why Manx telecom can't.

https://www.breathesim.com/about

15 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Yes I know. They sell many hundreds of thousands if not millions of those so Apple are keen to help.

About 50,000 07624 numbers, not so much

You left a confused emotion 

The product you linked to is sold all over the world to people in different countries:

We are talking about MTs inability to provide esims on island for their own contract customers.

They are two completely different things.

• Confused 1

On 9/16/2023 at 5:49 PM, CrazyDave said:

13 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

You left a confused emotion 

The product you linked to is sold all over the world to people in different countries:

We are talking about MTs inability to provide esims on island for their own contract customers.

They are two completely different things.

• Confused 1