Isle of Man and Other Mobile Phone Contracts/PAYG

Albert Tatlock

4 hours ago, immortalpuppet said:

Visiting relative has an eSIM from Airlo - selected an IOM specific eSIM and all works ok.

I don’t think it has anything to do with whether the networks over here support eSIM, it’s just a roaming contract with the provider. 

The network needs to support esim So you can use your MT or sure 07624 number.

• 9 months later...
3 hours ago, Gizo said:

E-sim. Going to give this thing a go next week.  No idea what I have to do but best esim to get at the moment please?

I think they’re all much the same, just reselling the same service. I put a few on my phone for around the world, but used Airalo and it worked fine so I stuck with it. Prices are in dollars though, but I had dollars on my Revolut card. 

Depends where you are going. Maya is good/easy as is airlo and the others. If it’s domestic, check what you need v’s the providers t&c (some providers offer limited speed or only a single network which limits coverage for example).

On 7/8/2024 at 8:35 PM, Gizo said:

E-sim. Going to give this thing a go next week.  No idea what I have to do but best esim to get at the moment please?

Which country are you going to? 

10 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Which country are you going to? 

Ive downloaded the Airalo app, travelling to Spain, I've bought one now and added to phone. I hope it connects when I get there!! Ive never used one before so see what happens

6 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Ive downloaded the Airalo app, travelling to Spain, I've bought one now and added to phone. I hope it connects when I get there!! Ive never used one before so see what happens

I used it recently... install the esim on your phone

When you reach Spain set mobile data to esim  and it should connect automatically 

If it doesn't change to flight mode and back .

Suggest you set roaming  cap on your island contract ( if you are with a mobile provider in UK or IOM)

Even though my mobile data was set to esim only there were occasional connections to sure while roaming  . These were tiny  like  a few kb at a time every few hours ( even with data switching   off ) .

I've heard of same with MT and UK mobile networks.  Obviously the safest thing is to turn those sims off  but I don't want to do it as I may need it for an emergency 

So the alternative is to make your roaming cap 0 pounds . 

Edited by mad_manx
  • Like 1

I recently used Airalo in the UK, Qatar and the Philippines on my iPhone. Worked like a dream. Obviously best to download the app before travelling, but activate the eSIM on arrival on a WiFi network in country for an instant set up. Here’s a referral code: MARTIN9650. We both get $3 of account credit if you use that. Slightly more expensive than a local network, but not by much, and worth it to avoid faff. 

• Thanks 1