Douglas stinky beach

Broadcasterman

There was a lot of social media comment over how bad Douglas beach stinks at the moment. And on the way in this morning it was thoroughly rank just with the window open driving past by the Villa. When is the Douglas Beach Party scheduled for that part of the beach it’s going to be like listening to live music in an open sewer at this rate. 

this is what happens when sea weed  is continually buried  on the beach and not allowed to dry out and degrade naturally , plus there is an odour from the Whey  that is produced by the creamery and discharged into the  bay , , normally at this time of years the beach in inundated with flies , not very nice for the humans but an absolute bonanza for the birds , I don't think running this tractor  up and down the beach every day , at great cost helps  if the Groynes were back in place there would be no need for this expense and the beach would be much improved 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I was told a long time ago that they used to keep the seaweed on the beach to disguise the smell of the sewage. Does DBC still pay a man with a tractor to move it around a bit ?

Looks like an issue for @Amadeus to plunge into...sort of...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I’ve got a pretty strong stomach but the smell around the war memorial on Saturday was unbearable. Far worse than the normal strong seaweed smell. There’sa great big pile of seaweed there rotting away. The seagulls were loving it.

On another note, the beech is now level with the walkway in places. 

1 hour ago, bonatti said:

. There’sa great big pile of seaweed there rotting away. The seagulls were loving it.

On another note, the beech is now level with the walkway in places. 

and seagulls don't usually eat seaweed.

2 hours ago, Omobono said:

this is what happens when sea weed  is continually buried  on the beach and not allowed to dry out and degrade naturally , plus there is an odour from the Whey  that is produced by the creamery and discharged into the  bay , , normally at this time of years the beach in inundated with flies , not very nice for the humans but an absolute bonanza for the birds , I don't think running this tractor  up and down the beach every day , at great cost helps  if the Groynes were back in place there would be no need for this expense and the beach would be much improved 

Wasn't the pumping of whey into Douglas bay a 'temporary measure' some years ago?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/no-open-ended-agreement-over-whey-pumped-into-douglas-bay/

Edited by Moghrey Mie

It was certainly noticed and already mentioned in committee right now. Suspicion right now is tidal conditions caused seaweed to accumulate more than normal. 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

It was certainly noticed and already mentioned in committee right now. Suspicion right now is tidal conditions caused seaweed to accumulate more than normal. 

This has been discussed 1000 times, but if the seaweed was being taken away rather than just pushed back into the sea there would surely be less of it to wash back up on the next tide? There would still be some, nobody is disputing that, but hopefully a much reduced amount?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just shift it for TT if it stinks so badly.  Timings right for an annual clear out of the accumulated flotsam at end of the winter/start of the summer.

It's natural, it's not the whey.  Plenty of beaches that aren't in the Capital are sporadically covered in a stinking weedy mess but clear for the majority of the year. 

Personally I don't think they should clear it more than a couple of times a year max.  It's exactly like no mow May for the biodiversity of your garden. 

• Like 2