Douglas stinky beach

Broadcasterman

Even if they do remove the beach down to the depth it was 40 years ago when I remember a 4ft drop outside the palace the wall will go ahead as you can not have that kind of drop with only a three bar set of rails in these days of H&S. We were lucky in the old days as all the the people killed falling to their death on the beach were washed out to sea so nobody noticed.

• Haha 3

Relatively informative post on MR this morning regarding the new Prom Wall. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/of-groynes-and-sea-walls-the-changing-face-of-douglas-beach/

Interesting to see the photo from 1977 with pretty much exactly the same issues currently being faced. 

500m of 1.2m wall just past the War Memorial to the Empress.  Honestly, what's the issue, unless you're a dwarf?

Does £2000 per meter sound reasonable for a concrete wall? 

image.thumb.png.99eb914d5278114bbca1f36674ea2850.pngimage.png.da4f79cedff4a6307b1a5343a230225b.png

Edited by The Phantom

55 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

500m of 1.2m wall just past the War Memorial to the Empress.  Honestly, what's the issue, unless you're a dwarf?

Which will then go the full length of the prom.  Planning is already approved all the way to the Sea Terminal.

An ugly and pointless waste of money.

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Relatively informative post on MR this morning regarding the new Prom Wall. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/of-groynes-and-sea-walls-the-changing-face-of-douglas-beach/

Interesting to see the photo from 1977 with pretty much exactly the same issues currently being faced. 

Does £2000 per meter sound reasonable for a concrete wall? 

image.thumb.png.99eb914d5278114bbca1f36674ea2850.png

Whenever I see old pictures from this era all I see are the cars.

I think I see a Datsun 120Y and an Austin (or Wolsey) Princess. I hope they weren't damaged by the stones

Is it me or is the beach up the wall level? There was some geezer on the moanin line said that never happened until the groins were removed

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I think I see a Datsun 120Y and an Austin (or Wolsey) Princess. I hope they weren't damaged by the stones

Is it me or is the beach up the wall level? There was some geezer on the moanin line said that never happened until the groins were removed

Cars before my time.  Mid 80s onwards I'd probably geek out similarly. 

Beach does indeed look pretty level.  That was my point.  

On 11/14/2023 at 8:11 PM, John Wright said:

As some people don’t believe that the shore height has waxed and waned over the years, here is Queens Prom opposite the Palace/Grasmere, before the prom was widened. Picture is just before WW1

IMG_5012.jpeg

IMG_5013.jpeg

IMG_5014.png

IMG_5015.jpeg

IMG_5016.jpeg

IMG_5017.png

Council should have done something about that. 

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I think your 120y is an 100a.

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

And you can bet your bottom wotsit that the seaweed was collected and went on the farmland/pastures as fertiliser.

I’m not sure it did. Just washed in and out. Millions of sandflies. Wouldn’t want to sleep between the sheets after they’d been laid out on the beach to dry. Sand and flies. Yuk.

5 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Cars before my time.  Mid 80s onwards I'd probably geek out similarly. 

Beach does indeed look pretty level.  That was my point.  

so what was done to lower the level of the beach ?  i don't recall a wall being built ???