Douglas stinky beach

Broadcasterman

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

This shows most of the options in a wave tank. It’s interesting. Very lucid and clear presentation.

Remove the beach via erosion (or a digger) and it increases over topping. 

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

And that’s the scientific truth.

Which is what I've been saying all along. 

The only solution is a wall with a curvy bit.  But no one seems to want the thing that would work.  

Or rock armour, which would be even more of an eyesore. 

3 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

So if we removed the beach with a digger to a depth of 15m right along the seawall and back out 30m, we would get more overtopping?

We dig down 15m?

The 'beach' would then be below sea level at the lowest tide.  This would cause some issues.  Probably be millions of tonnes of pebbles too. 

17 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

So if we removed the beach with a digger to a depth of 15m right along the seawall and back out 30m, we would get more overtopping?

Well. That would undercut the 1930’s sea wall foundations. First big storm the prom would fall onto the beach.

A sloping beach, or steps, or even rock or concrete tripods helps dissipate wave energy before the wave hits the sea wall. 

The ideal is to shave a metre of the gravel to expose the bull nose or recurve and then build a metre high wall on top. And if you had money aplenty, an artificial reef

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A sloping beach  allow's the tide to run up on to the prom and also to tumble debris rocks pebbles on to the road way. You do not get them where the sunken gardens or North end as the water is to deep for the power at the top of the waves to effect them. When calm the water would be at least 3 metres below the walkway even on a high tide, what would you say the drop between the prom walkway and the tide at low water. At a guess I would say 15 metres. So in my eyes you are all  talking guff.

Edited by Dirty Buggane

20 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

A sloping beach  allow's the tide to run up on to the prom and also to tumble debris rocks pebbles on to the road way. You do not get them where the sunken gardens or North end as the water is to deep for the power at the top of the waves to effect them. When calm the water would be at least 3 metres below the walkway even on a high tide, what would you say the drop between the prom walkway and the tide at low water. At a guess I would say 15 metres. So in my eyes you are all  talking guff.

A two storey house is about 8m.  Coincidentally our biggest tides are about the same.