Douglas stinky beach

Broadcasterman

10 hours ago, Banker said:

Absolute bollocks , we sit outside there at least 2 times per week so do many others & no one complains about food , smell or anything else. Great spot to sit & people watch with good food 

wind direction will be a factor in where the smell is

4 hours ago, Pipsqueak said:

wind direction will be a factor in where the smell is

Possibly but if you listen to some posters anything to do with Douglas is rubbish & they don’t care if they damage really good businesses with their made up stories.

47 minutes ago, Banker said:

Possibly but if you listen to some posters anything to do with Douglas is rubbish & they don’t care if they damage really good businesses with their made up stories.

if it was an onshore breeze when they went it is hardly  'made up'

if you want to sit somewhere where the smell is Rank then go to Peel  the commissioners have created an eating area on the promenade  in front of what was going to be the iris pumping station  with the clock on top  , planted the flower beds painted the walls , installed tables and benches  but someone forget to make sure the big manhole covering the sewer fitted properly ,  the small from there is eye watering  ,and despite many reports to the Manx utilities  and the commissioners nothing gets done about it , 

So the stink of the week  must go to this part of Peel promenade .

• 3 months later...

A solution for Douglas Beach would be for the seaweed to be collected and taken away (I'm not sure to where so please don't shoot me), the beach needs to be bulldozed so it is lower at the wall in an effort to stop the sea, sand and seaweed coming onto the new road causing damage.  The stones need to be bulldozed to either side of the bay (as before) and the long shore drift barriers reinstated.  Why is this not a consideration in order to protect the new promenade?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AineM said:

A solution for Douglas Beach would be for the seaweed to be collected and taken away (I'm not sure to where so please don't shoot me), the beach needs to be bulldozed so it is lower at the wall in an effort to stop the sea, sand and seaweed coming onto the new road causing damage.  The stones need to be bulldozed to either side of the bay (as before) and the long shore drift barriers reinstated.  Why is this not a consideration in order to protect the new promenade?

Lower the beach, so the level of the sea is lower?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, AineM said:

Have you asked your councillor?

24 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Would that work Phantom?   Isn't the sea level rising? 

The problem is the weight of the stones and sand you take off the beach.  If you put this on the Island, it will make it sink deeper into the sea! 

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Lower the beach, so the level of the sea is lower?

no,  lower the beach so the incoming water doesn't have a nice sand/gravel ramp to run up and drag bits of itself onto the walkway and the prom ,  if the step up is sufficient  most of the sand and stones caught up in the moving water will not be near enough to the surface to make it onto the walkway 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1