Douglas stinky beach

Broadcasterman

1 hour ago, Zarley said:

Does anyone know where to find a photo or drawing of the area where the "Douglas old sea wall and plaque" is, when it was still the functioning sea wall? It's behind Dealz, on Howard St. (the lane behind Dealz) a little way from Loch prom.

These two are basically the original line of the old wall I think from both ends. So much has been reclaimed in the last 150 odd years. 

AB0BB6A4-6AEC-474D-8C2F-1BBE611A56C3.jpeg

68DF4004-CE71-4547-803A-A23EDCB76D80.jpeg

Edited by Cueey Lewis And The News
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/27/2023 at 3:51 PM, The Phantom said:

The problem is the weight of the stones and sand you take off the beach.  If you put this on the Island, it will make it sink deeper into the sea! 

Not if you dig a big hole and bury it all

Did you not do Phisyks at skool

Edited by Blade Runner
  • Haha 2

leave it to pile up , it will form a natural barrier  and help stop  waves coming up onto the promenade walk way

its also excellent  for the birdlife  and mill provided masses of food for them when it starts to break down , 

all part of natures  natural circle , and you will get used to the odour .

3 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I'll admit, there is a remarkable amount of seaweed on the prom this morning!

Forecast looks similar all week with strong Easterlies, which is weird in itself. Its pretty uncommon.

4 minutes ago, AineM said:

And I rest my case today. The promenade today is destroyed because there was no barrier possible because the beach is not at the level it used to be. Nothing to stop it. Such a shame. A simple solution to a huge problem. 

I was driving home late last night and the promenade road just before the War Memorial and had waves actually coming towards me.  It felt  like l could have been driving along the beach with the tide coming towards me.  It was a bit strange and slightly unnerving.   And before you asked,  l was perfectly sober. :D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lilly said:

I was driving home late last night and the promenade road just before the War Memorial and had waves actually coming towards me.  It felt  like l could have been driving along the beach with the tide coming towards me.  It was a bit strange and slightly unnerving. :D

Did you wake up with your face in the cornflakes..? 

1 hour ago, AineM said:

And I rest my case today. The promenade today is destroyed because there was no barrier possible because the beach is not at the level it used to be. Nothing to stop it. Such a shame. A simple solution to a huge problem. 

The level of the beach is irrelevant where water coming over is concerned. However it does help the seaweed over that's for sure.

On 10/29/2023 at 10:03 AM, Omobono said:

leave it to pile up , it will form a natural barrier  and help stop  waves coming up onto the promenade walk way

Nope.  There was about 2ft of seaweed across the prom walkway between Broadway and the War Memorial.  This sounds like a suboptimal plan for anyone that actually wants to walk along the prom. 

I'm also going to throw the idea out there that the needlessly complex horse tram junction there probably isn't going to appreciate being covered in pebbles and weed and will require expensive works in the near future.

Any solutions requiring any beach remodelling or other hydrological meddling will be an expensive failure (and not just because it's us).  Unfortunately the only answer would be a wall.  Nimbys like walls even less than they like stinky seaweed and minor flooding.