Douglas stinky beach

Broadcasterman

3 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Not with the new breakwater hence all the problems, otherwise there would be a sand bank at the queens pub to Derby castle.

Odd considering I was drifting north on an incoming tide and zero wind when I was in the bay last time in the Autumn.  It's also much stronger out to sea rather than at beach level.

The tidal movements are from the Atlantic, so they have to be South to North on an incoming. The strong flow north probably doesn't get into the southern corner of the bay near the war memorial because of the breakwater. 

But the build up of the sand is the middle of the bay at the Empress and the predominant wind/wave is from the south.  I think it probably sort of balances itself out.

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

I see they are setting up the beach lowering to fail, looks about 18" skim at the top end extending out 6'. If you are going to give it a go you would have to be looking at 4 or 5 feet at the wall face, and follow the natural slope of the beach. All we will get now is we tried it a non starter and it cost us £980 000, bunch of tossers. But thats DOI for you. And yes there used to be steps down to the beach at broadway, and the concrete out fall was 5 feet above the beach 8-9 feet at the end with the overflow gates

Edited by Dirty Buggane
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Dirty Buggane said:

I see they are setting up the beach lowering to fail, looks about 18" skim at the top end extending out 6'. If you are going to give it a go you would have to be looking at 4 or 5 feet at the wall face, and follow the natural slope of the beach. All we will get now is we tried it a non starter and it cost us £980 000, bunch of tossers. But thats DOI for you. And yes there used to be steps down to the beach at broadway, and the concrete out fall was 5 feet above the beach 8-9 feet at the end with the overflow gates

without Groynes the sand and shingle  will be back in no time , I am afraid there only going through the motions at the moment to justify a £1million spend on a silly wall , 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

How is the work they did at Laxey the other month holding up?

No idea, but it’s worth mentioning that the sand level in Ramsey which is just up the same coast has dropped by about four foot since they did that work purely as a result of a storm the other week.

The same at Cornaa and Dhoon.  Huge amounts of stuff swept out to sea

Edited by CrazyDave

5 hours ago, Omobono said:

without Groynes the sand and shingle  will be back in no time , I am afraid there only going through the motions at the moment to justify a £1million 5 hours ago, Omobono said: without Groynes the sand and shingle  will be back in no time , I am afraid there only going through the m5 hours ago, Omobono said: without Groynes the sand and shingle  will be back in no time , I am afraid there only going through the motions at the moment to justify a £1million 5 hours ago, Omobono said: without Groynes the sand and shingle  will be back in no time , I am afraid there only going through the motions at the moment to justify a £1million spend on a silly wall ,  spend on a silly wall ,  otions at the moment to justify a £1million spend on a silly wall ,  spend on a silly wall , 

Groynes won't stop the sand and stones pushing up towards the sea wall though.

Edited by Capt_Mainwaring
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2024 at 12:16 AM, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Groynes won't stop the sand and stones pushing up towards the sea wall though.

but it will stop the scour of the sand and shingle lower down ,  a lot of the beach has been  torn apart this week due to the spring tides and very strong tidal flows  the Groynes worked by slowing down the whole process and kept the lower beach relatively stable ,thats where the additional sand and shingle deposits are coming from and  eventually migrating up the beach ,

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Omobono said:

but it will stop the scour of the sand and shingle lower down ,  a lot of the beach has been  torn apart this week due to the spring tides and very strong tidal flows  the Groynes worked by slowing down the whole process and kept the lower beach relatively stable ,thats where the additional sand and shingle deposits are coming from and  eventually migrating up the beach ,

I thought groynes reduced sideways drift and erosion of sand . I'm not seeing how it reduces drift up the beach. I am only saying what my understanding was. 

I know it's very complicated science. Filey was famous for it's beach for years. One winter storm in the 99s washed it all away and it's only recovering slowly. Last time I went it was bare rock.

Stop press. It happened again in 2021. 

images.jpeg

Edited by Happier diner