Douglas stinky beach

Broadcasterman

The raw sewage down in Peel has been an issue for years . Used to be loads backed up regularly up on the rocks behind the hut and toilet block on the breakwater . The then tenants in the cafe said they were always complaining to DOI about it. It was really bad !! 

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

The raw sewage down in Peel has been an issue for years . Used to be loads backed up regularly up on the rocks behind the hut and toilet block on the breakwater . The then tenants in the cafe said they were always complaining to DOI about it. It was really bad !! 

Problem is all the locals always complain about sewage and then object if treatment plants are within 2/3 miles of them! No warning signs about unsafe bathing water either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

Problem is all the locals always complain about sewage and then object if treatment plants are within 2/3 miles of them! No warning signs about unsafe bathing water either.

No , I get your point and it’s true. No problem in future but not willing to bend a bit. Doubtful you’d ever see warning signs as that’s an admission there’s a problem ! . 

10 minutes ago, Banker said:

All the beaches used to have a single A4 sign noting the results of the most recent water tests.  

Peel consistently failed and actually isn't even a 'designated bathing beach' anymore with effect from 2021 (neither is Laxey, the framed sign for which ironically a few years ago was full of dead flies).   It's one way to not fail the test I suppose. 

Not sure if these are still in place, or have just been sacked off like most services, or if they've gone online only.

https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/departments/environment-food-and-agriculture/environment-directorate/environmental-protection-unit/bathing-water-quality/

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

All the beaches used to have a single A4 sign noting the results of the most recent water tests.  

Peel consistently failed and actually isn't even a 'designated bathing beach' anymore with effect from 2021 (neither is Laxey, the framed sign for which ironically a few years ago was full of dead flies).   It's one way to not fail the test I suppose. 

Not sure if these are still in place, or have just been sacked off like most services, or if they've gone online only.

https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/departments/environment-food-and-agriculture/environment-directorate/environmental-protection-unit/bathing-water-quality/

Didn’t see any signs today, maybe a summer thing but in any case I’m sure they’re not prominent 

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Only 8 beaches designated as 'bathing beaches'.

I wonder why they dropped Peel and Laxey.

It's not sewage, it's a natural foam produced by wave action on the beach!!!

..although I wouldn't recommend eating the plentiful Mussels on the north shore rocks!!!!😝

Is that the new liner berth I see in the distance, and the wall don't look to bad.  For god's and our own I hope no one from the DfE reads this forum. Their eye's will light up and they will be running into the office on Monday, BOSS ! THE BOAT THE BOAT

Also see they have removed the plant from the beach as they have proved they tried to lower the sand with a JCB tractor, the large bladed grader seemed to have been parked for effect as never seen it move apart from loading on low loader for transport away. Pretty sure it could of made some serious headway in just pushing sand and shingle further down the beach thus allowing sea wall to perform as was intended but NO, we tried and see the wall is the only option. Oh and price has now gone up which will be a surprise as it has already been cast/fabricated for over 6 months. Just watch how fast it will be delivered

Edited by Dirty Buggane
Lazy journalism

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

That wall seems pretty low. I suppose they don't have storms in that part of the world.

Only the odd typhoon https://jfit-for-science.asia/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Disaster-Mitigation-Implications-of-Study-of-Manila-Coastal-Flooding-Due-to-Recent-Typhoons.pdf