Douglas stinky beach

Broadcasterman

6 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Love how Douglas beach looks now. 

IMG_0827.jpeg

It's just not complete nor authentic without some cracked pink concrete with rails jammed into it...

• 4 weeks later...

2023 bathing water report just released. 

https://www.gov.im/media/1383442/2023-bathing-water-report_compressed.pdf

With the exception of Castletown, which was just 'sufficient' all the other designated bathing beaches have retained their 'good' status, with a few jumping to 'excellent'.

image.png.ce74e07ae0e49f847f66561a88c5394d.png

No suprises that of the non-designated bathing beaches Peel and Laxey fail.  Interesting that most of Douglas with the exception of the Summerhill end is 'good'. 

image.png.1745d06dbfe1265af833e4ef02144b19.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Phantom said:

2023 bathing water report just released. 

https://www.gov.im/media/1383442/2023-bathing-water-report_compressed.pdf

With the exception of Castletown, which was just 'sufficient' all the other designated bathing beaches have retained their 'good' status, with a few jumping to 'excellent'.

image.png.ce74e07ae0e49f847f66561a88c5394d.png

No suprises that of the non-designated bathing beaches Peel and Laxey fail.  Interesting that most of Douglas with the exception of the Summerhill end is 'good'. 

image.png.1745d06dbfe1265af833e4ef02144b19.png

So Douglas Central/Broadway is good but Summerhill fails to meet the minimum standard? I thought it was one big bay. Do the sections of sea keep apart from each other?

13 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

So Douglas Central/Broadway is good but Summerhill fails to meet the minimum standard? I thought it was one big bay. Do the sections of sea keep apart from each other?

Weird innit! 

I can only assume that the Summerhill Stream flowing out from underneath Summerland was somehow contaminated.  Or maybe they did the testing on different days.  There is a combined sewage outflow at Pt Jack, but this is only belching out shit under flood conditions. 

image.png.f038fda899b8f89f685dfface5ad8190.png

image.png.816a0c44b80bb28e3398e3b7c775798d.png

Edited by The Phantom

4 hours ago, Passing Time said:

4 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Weird innit! 

I can only assume that the Summerhill Stream flowing out from underneath Summerland was somehow contaminated.  Or maybe they did the testing on different days.  There is a combined sewage outflow at Pt Jack, but this is only belching out shit under flood conditions. 

Stab on the dark I admit. But if something is designated a non bathing beach, is the standard lower?

6 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Weird innit! 

I've surfed at Summerhill end on a rough day and it stinks, fighting floaters there all day long, bleurgh.

13 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Stab on the dark I admit. But if something is designated a non bathing beach, is the standard lower?

Nothing to suggest in the report that the standards are any different. Albeit the non-designated beaches aren't sampled as often as the designated ones.

12 hours ago, slinkydevil said:

I've surfed at Summerhill end on a rough day and it stinks, fighting floaters there all day long, bleurgh.

Must have been a while ago. Unless there is flooding, there shouldn't be any sewage in Douglas at all do to it all being treated by IRIS. I think the Summerhill sample must be contaminated by the stream somehow. Do they still have animals in the fields around Fairy Glen as it could potentially be from there or higher up. 

If Douglas has surfable waves, Laxey is usually twice the size and more sheltered. Although with potentially more poo.

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Must have been a while ago. Unless there is flooding, there shouldn't be any sewage in Douglas at all do to it all being treated by IRIS. I think the Summerhill sample must be contaminated by the stream somehow. Do they still have animals in the fields around Fairy Glen as it could potentially be from there or higher up. 

If Douglas has surfable waves, Laxey is usually twice the size and more sheltered. Although with potentially more poo.

Yeah was a long time ago and I was living around Strathallen Crescent at the time so just a hop over the wall. Laxey by the harbour wall is good.

Kitesurfed Douglas a few times on an easterly and the creamery outfall area has a sickly smell. Fish probably love it though.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Nothing to suggest in the report that the standards are any different. Albeit the non-designated beaches aren't sampled as often as the designated ones.

I may be wrong but I seem to remember that a beach cannot be designated as a bathing water beach if there is untreated sewage in it, regardless of the quality. That's why Guernsey has no designated bathing water beaches. 

On 4/20/2024 at 1:03 PM, slinkydevil said:

Laxey by the harbour wall is good.

Used to be called 'Cheesegraters'.  I used to have a photo of it working, glassy clean, about shoulder high and barrelling!  

On 4/19/2024 at 4:14 PM, Passing Time said:

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/129-sewer-overflow-discharges-in-douglas-last-year/

Might have something to do with it.  Same there is no more info on the discharges.  It certainly seems more than I would have expected, but these could literally be several a day for only 15 mins each. 

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/129-sewer-overflow-discharges-in-douglas-last-year/

Might have something to do with it.  Same there is no more info on the discharges.  It certainly seems more than I would have expected, but these could literally be several a day for only 15 mins each. 

Those are both at the end of the Prom that 'passed' however (overflow from the Prom tanks and Lake Road).  But the FoI (Ref 3770473) didn't ask about any other outlets in Douglas and is mainly concerned with the smaller regional ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like they've started the Great Douglas Sea Wall. 

There is a 5m section of formed rebar (no concrete yet) at the War Memorial.  Looks to be pretty much the same height as the existing wall - just minus the gaps with the fences.  I assume they're going to knock those down?