Douglas stinky beach

Broadcasterman

3 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

The tractor driver this morning looked like a Benny Hill clip on speed...

No connection with there being a meeting of councillors later in the day I'm sure.

Incidentally why are Douglas Committee meetings not held in public?  This is standard practice in the UK (though some items - usually at the end of the agenda - may need to be held in private for legal or privacy reasons).

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

No connection with there being a meeting of councillors later in the day I'm sure.

Must be an emergency meeting as last scheduled one was the 10th.

http://www.douglas.gov.im/index.php/the-council/council-meetings

No doubt driven by all the stink related social media posts over the weekend. Makes you wonder if they live in Douglas themselves if they hadn’t smelt it before it was all posted on Facebook?

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

The tide was in yesterday and it stank  which was surprising.  Perhaps there has been a high enough tide to take all the seaweed out. 

The tide was pretty much in today. Plenty of weed by the war memorial. I couldn’t smell shit ! 

Edited by cheesypeas

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Sharing some info we received from DEFA:

Bathing water samples are collected from Douglas Central on a weekly basis throughout the bathing season which runs from the 1st May to 18th September. These samples are analysed for Escherichia coli and Intestinal Enterococci with the results assessed against the standards detailed in the Water Pollution (Bathing Water Standards and Objectives) Scheme 2021. The standards in this scheme are the same as the EU 2006 Bathing Water Directive and desinged for the proteciton of public health.

The samples collected from Douglas Central for the past 3 weeks are within the Excellent classification for both of the bacterial parameters; this would suggest that there isn’t sewage discharging into the bay. The data can be viewed here.

Samples are also collected from Douglas Summerhill and Douglas Central on a monthly basis and the samples collected on the 9th May are also within the Excellent classification. The data can be viewed here.

Manx Utilities have confirmed that there have been no recent discharges of storm sewage from its combined sewer overflows in Douglas.

As seaweed decays it causes the production of hydrogen sulphide gas which smells like rotten eggs. Although the seaweed is cleared from the beach regularly. With the recent warm weather it will accelerate the breakdown of the seaweed and therefore the associated gasses. 

If you are concerned about the presence of sewage on the beach please call the Environmental Protection Unit on 685885 or Manx Utilities on 687687 so an officer can investigate.

Everyone knows isn’t sewage.

Its seaweed the same as it has been on some days for decades.  The difference now is DBC have let the beach become a state and interfere with the movement of the weed and so the problem is worse than I ever remember it.

Instead of posting crap about the lack of sewage which we all already knew, try accepting some responsibility for the seaweed issue which people have been predicting for years.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Broadcasterman said:

Can’t wait for the tickets for “Shit-fest 2023” at the bottom of Broadway. Your chance to experience the truly terrible Douglas beach experience and guaranteed to lose at least half a stone in the week afterwards with post event diarrhea and gastroenteritis

“Everyone knows it isn’t sewage”?

10 hours ago, Ativa said:

Everyone knows isn’t sewage.

Its seaweed the same as it has been on some days for decades.  The difference now is DBC have let the beach become a state and interfere with the movement of the weed and so the problem is worse than I ever remember it.

Instead of posting crap about the lack of sewage which we all already knew, try accepting some responsibility for the seaweed issue which people have been predicting for years.

So why don't they get rid of the seaweed then, instead of just employing a man to move it around the beach ? Sensible answers only please. I've heard all the bullshit.

Just now, Shake me up Judy said:

So why don't they get rid of the seaweed then, instead of just employing a man to move it around the beach ? Sensible answers only please. I've heard all the bullshit.

Whose house would you like them to move it next to at great expense to let it rot and stink there instead?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I told you that I've heard all the bullshit.

You said “why don’t they get rid of the seaweed then”

Where do you want them to take it and at what expense?  It’s a valid question?

4 minutes ago, Ativa said:

You said “why don’t they get rid of the seaweed then”

Where do you want them to take it and at what expense?  It’s a valid question?

The weed shuffling contract is £50k a year IIRC. It is/was enjoyed by a man with connections to DBC who may or may not even be an Island resident.

Some of that £50k might be better directed at frequent incineration of the offending weed.