Douglas stinky beach

Broadcasterman

I drove along Douglas prom around 5.30 this afternoon. Opposite the Villa Colonade one was greeted by the sight of the tide gently lapping away at the piles of seaweed and sand that the Corpy had presumably spent a lot of time carefully constructing on the beach. Like watching kid's sandcastles being washed away.

Three questions entered my mind, firstly where do they think that this sand and seaweed magically goes, somewhere else?

Secondly, how much are Douglas ratepayers still shelling out in time or contracts for this farrago?

Thirdly, are we really administered by fuckwits of this magnitude?

3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I drove along Douglas prom around 5.30 this afternoon. Opposite the Villa Colonade one was greeted by the sight of the tide gently lapping away at the piles of seaweed and sand that the Corpy had presumably spent a lot of time carefully constructing on the beach. Like watching kid's sandcastles being washed away.

Three questions entered my mind, firstly where do they think that this sand and seaweed magically goes, somewhere else?

Secondly, how much are Douglas ratepayers still shelling out in time or contracts for this farrago?

1 some magical place

2 vast amounts 

3 oh yes 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Wasn't the figure around £50k a year?

Compared with the fantasy figure used to dismiss replacing the groynes.... a whooping £200k each.  I assume they were going to be carved from reclaimed Titanic wood.

29 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Yes I saw these yesterday. Absolutely mental. As soon as the tides comes in they collapse and we are back where we were. 

42 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

In theory it might be valid.  If the sand and stones are being placed in a position from which they will be moved by the sea into the desired location(s), then this would be a good idea.  Obviously this would have to be based on a deep knowledge of the hydrology and geographies of the Bay and all the idiosyncrasies of the winds and tides and constantly be tested against what was actually happening, using the best scientific methods.

As it's Douglas Council, who can doubt this is what actually happens?

29 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Compared with the fantasy figure used to dismiss replacing the groynes.... a whooping £200k each.  I assume they were going to be carved from reclaimed Titanic wood.

I saw that published as a recent figure but many many like twenty years ago it was something like £98,000 per year and carried out by a council family member.

55 minutes ago, cissolt said:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/6034ee168fa8f5432c277c23/Cost_estimation_for_coastal_protection.pdf

£100k per groyne as a high level estimate according to this, so not cheap

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

In theory it might be valid.  If the sand and stones are being placed in a position from which they will be moved by the sea into the desired location(s), then this would be a good idea.  Obviously this would have to be based on a deep knowledge of the hydrology and geographies of the Bay and all the idiosyncrasies of the winds and tides and constantly be tested against what was actually happening, using the best scientific methods.

As it's Douglas Council, who can doubt this is what actually happens?

I seem to remember that when he was first elected to the lofty heights of DBC, our very own @Amadeus pledged to look into this practice.

Presumably he was subsequently convinced that it was all well-founded because I can't remember reading or hearing anything further about his enquiries and the practice is still ongoing so all must be OK and justified.

15 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

A couple of weeks ago, towards the Empress they had created a platform level to the prom out of shingle right next to where the new wall was being built.  Assume to ease access for the construction.  Was it this you were looking at?

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

A couple of weeks ago, towards the Empress they had created a platform level to the prom out of shingle right next to where the new wall was being built.  Assume to ease access for the construction.  Was it this you were looking at?

Most definitely not - it was a number of ant hills made of sand and seaweed running parallel to the Promenade wall  about 50 metres out from the wall, opposite the Villa complex.