Douglas stinky beach

Broadcasterman

10 minutes ago, Omobono said:

there have been groynes on Douglas beach for over 100 years , and indeed  its nearly 40 years since the breakwater was built , historically the groynes  did prevent scouring of the beach and worked very well even after the completion of the breakwater , unless they are replaced  there will be huge amounts of sand and shingle building up on the foreshore   in particular  on central promenade where the height of the shingle  is higher now then the promenade walkway , we have been fortunate there have been no periods of north easterly gales  ,otherwise the lot would be washed up onto the roadway  ,,all the tractor does is drag the sand and seaweed back down the beach in a futile attempt to stop the continual build up  , it would be interesting to find out how much this is costing ,a couple of years of tractor would probably pay for the Groynes to be replaced , so there would be a significant  cost saving 

I seem to recall a Douglas Councillor dong a fairly detailed Tweet or Tweets earlier in the year explaining why the groynes weren’t needed any more from a design perspective and why the Victorians weren’t right (or something like that). Yet week by week the level of the beach still seems to be getting higher. So much for “experts” 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Broadcasterman said:

I seem to recall a Douglas Councillor dong a fairly detailed Tweet or Tweets earlier in the year explaining why the groynes weren’t needed any more from a design perspective and why the Victorians weren’t right (or something like that). Yet week by week the level of the beach still seems to be getting higher. So much for “experts” 

I thought they had someone go through all the old museum pictures and conclusion was in most of beach no significant change

2 hours ago, Broadcasterman said:

I didn’t say it was sewage I said it stinks like shit (which it does)

Actually, you said that people would lose weight due to diarrhoea and gastroenteritis - not sure that's an expected outcome by smelling seaweed...

2 hours ago, Omobono said:

it would be interesting to find out how much this is costing ,a couple of years of tractor would probably pay for the Groynes to be replaced , so there would be a significant  cost saving 

Now, if my memory serves me correctly, when @Amadeus was first elected he stated on these very boards that he intended to investigate and make enquiries about the seaweed-moving contract and operation. And from previous page..

Screenshot_20230523-185947_Samsung Internet.jpg

27 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Now, if my memory serves me correctly, when @Amadeus was first elected he stated on these very boards that he intended to investigate and make enquiries about the seaweed-moving contract and operation. And from previous page..

Screenshot_20230523-185947_Samsung Internet.jpg

was that Ed ??

3 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

@Amadeus have you been out with a can of Febreze? 

I walked along tonight no smell either but I could see tractor marks in the sand so presumably it has been pushed back in the sea and will wash up again in the next rough sea, but of course will have been rinsed by the fresh clean salty water of Douglas Bay and so won't smell anymore, until the sun come out

50 minutes ago, WTF said:

was that Ed ??

I can't remember his name but wasn't he either a DBC Councillor or DBC employee who had emigrated, to NZ maybe whilst he was operating the contract? There was an article in the local press a couple or more years back about it IIRC?

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I can't remember his name but wasn't he either a DBC Councillor or DBC employee who had emigrated, to NZ maybe whilst he was operating the contract? There was an article in the local press a couple or more years back about it IIRC?

He moved to France I think.

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

He moved to France I think.

he may have done, but i have seen him a few times in strand street so either he is on holiday visiting folks or he has moved back, he was waterworks plumbers.

18 minutes ago, WTF said:

he may have done, but i have seen him a few times in strand street so either he is on holiday visiting folks or he has moved back, he was waterworks plumbers.

Of all the Spanish practices around do you think that we actually have to wait for him to be on the Island and available to move the shit around? 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Seaweed is entirely bio-degradable

It is indeed. But not suitable as a fertilizer sadly. It could be used as a fuel source though. Decomposition (under aerobic conditions) leads to the release of methane. Methane can be burned (sadly releasing CO2) and used to generate electricity. It probably wouldn't make economic sense but it would offset some electricity usage (therefore carbon neutral) and remove the need to constantly put it back in the sea.

https://www.mdpi.com/1996-1073/15/24/9395/pdf

Edited by Happier diner
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It is indeed. But not suitable as a fertilizer sadly. It could be used as a fuel source though. Decomposition (under aerobic conditions) leads to the release of methane. Methane can be burned (sadly releasing CO2) and used to generate electricity. It probably wouldn't make economic sense but it would offset some electricity usage (therefore carbon neutral) and remove the need to constantly put it back in the sea.

https://www.mdpi.com/1996-1073/15/24/9395/pdf

A trip to our all singing all dancing incinerator daily then?