Douglas stinky beach

Broadcasterman

42 minutes ago, Zarley said:

How did they do it in the old days? (Genuine question) 

I have no idea. Dont get me wrong, it has potential as a fertiliser, but these days there are rules about what you can do. You would have to analyse it and then work out what the maximum application was. Fertilisers are always best rotted down first as the process of decomposition is what yields thr nitrogen and phosphates. Basically the bugs need to eat it and the bug poo is your fertilisers ( in simple terms). Just flinging it on the fields would not work very well. 

45 minutes ago, Zarley said:

How did they do it in the old days? (Genuine question) 

According to the Royal Horticultural Society:

Fresh seaweed has long been used by coastal gardeners as a soil improver and plant feed, but there is no public right to collect seaweed from the beach unless you own the beach and it is not designated a site of special scientific interest or a special area of conservation. If you plan to gather seaweed, it is always advisable to check with the land owner and the local council first.

Although seaweed is salty, the salt is not usually present in sufficient amounts to damage crops or soil, and the salt will in any case leach out readily with rainfall as it is highly soluble.

[...] If you do have access to fresh seaweed, it is a useful substitute for farmyard manure, and does not need to be rotted down before use. It is best dug in fresh in winter or spring before it has had time to dry.

If dug in fresh, then seaweed is used like any other soil conditioner, digging it in to one or two spades’ depth below the surface and using up to a barrow load per square metre (if you have this much available).

I certainly remember it being spread on the fields (for example by Fishers Hill)  in late winter, and then presumably ploughed in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Its been used in the British Isles since the Neolithic period. According to Pliney, in Ireland they used to burn it first and use the ash. Don't think you'd be permitted to burn it these days though. I've not been able to find anything on methods used in the 19th and early 20th century though. 

Source: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/336878973_Historical_Use_of_Seaweed_as_an_Agricultural_Fertilizer_in_the_European_Atlantic_Area 

ETA: thanks Roger, you posted while I was getting a screenshot. 

Screenshot_20230524-165646.thumb.jpg.051e7a595060cc18fab3849c7a9ca860.jpg

Edited by Zarley
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

According to the Royal Horticultural Society:

Fresh seaweed has long been used by coastal gardeners as a soil improver and plant feed, but there is no public right to collect seaweed from the beach unless you own the beach and it is not designated a site of special scientific interest or a special area of conservation. If you plan to gather seaweed, it is always advisable to check with the land owner and the local council first.

Although seaweed is salty, the salt is not usually present in sufficient amounts to damage crops or soil, and the salt will in any case leach out readily with rainfall as it is highly soluble.

[...] If you do have access to fresh seaweed, it is a useful substitute for farmyard manure, and does not need to be rotted down before use. It is best dug in fresh in winter or spring before it has had time to dry.

If dug in fresh, then seaweed is used like any other soil conditioner, digging it in to one or two spades’ depth below the surface and using up to a barrow load per square metre (if you have this much available).

I certainly remember it being spread on the fields (for example by Fishers Hill)  in late winter, and then presumably ploughed in.

This is a good bit of work. The trouble is these days is that there are regulations governing fertilisers that are used in the production of food. Yes the RHS might have their views and there is potential. However anything that is used has to meet criteria. Without controls you could end up with people putting fluoride in the water and other heinous crimes. 

2 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Someone needs to advise some of the current Tynwald speech writers on this.

Explain. 

The way I understand it is that horticulture is gardening. That's not regulated.  Agriculture is commercial farming. Its regulated. For good reason. Agriculture produces food. Therefore fertilisers used in agriculture need to meet a standard. Again for good reason. It maybe that, with a bit of planning and forethought our seaweed could be used in both. It would potentially better than the futile exercise of pushing it around the beach all year. However, it would need some trials including plant growth trials where the foods grown in it are analysed to check that it wasn't going to slowly poisen us all. Used in moderation, and controlled,  I think it's a good idea