Public sector workers have had enough of 'meaningless' discussions

HelmutX

2 hours ago, Ativa said:

I notice road markings at tram crossings all repainted this week, and guys out jet washing around the Sea Terminal this morning.

It really looks like the days of bashing them for not doing anything are gone.

Might be linked to a big event coming up in a couple of weeks?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ativa said:

This used to be the case but I can’t agree now.

This morning working on a pavement at Churchtown under traffic lights there were at least eight DOI guys working flat out when I went past.

You simply didn’t see that a couple of years ago.  Now you do, and the progress they are making is great.

I notice road markings at tram crossings all repainted this week, and guys out jet washing around the Sea Terminal this morning.

It really looks like the days of bashing them for not doing anything are gone.

OK Jeff, your lads are the business👍

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, BillyNoMates said:

no sympathy for that lot they ahve it easy enough as it is specially these days. have a safe job and then complain ffs

They’re unlikely to get any more sympathy either with Mick Hewer on the case. The guy is as thick as mince. I’m not even sure how IOM Government could even successfully negotiate with such a muppet. He’d be hard pushed to get his shoes on the right feet ahead of a meeting. 

On 5/23/2023 at 8:17 PM, HelmutX said:

"Our members have worked tirelessly for months during difficult circumstances, and they continue to do so. They have endured endless attacks on their professional standing, it’s like open season when it comes to ‘the blame game and attacking our members in the press and on social media’."

Make me holla!!! 90% of the time I pass "road works" and any DOI interruptions, either I see absolutely NOFFING, or I see a bunch of HEDGEPIGS doing NOFFING. Govt workers are the epitome of welfare. There's no private sector that would tolerate the work-less ethic of the DOI attitude... then we gotta start on those in the "white collar" side of "administration". Give me a break. None would survive in the private sector..... WHO PAYS FOR THEIR SALARIES!! GUARANTEED pensions??

Go work for Government and do nothing for he rest of your life - and have nice holidays while you're at it!

OOOOS.... Private contractors to Govt are equally to blame - they are on TAXPAYER money! (Does a Promenade memory ring?)

Just make me holla!

Clueless pillock.

23 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

But most of those roadworks are actually carried out by contractors, so it's private sector workers who are absent or doing nothing. 

Now I've pointed this out I assume you'll be calling for the immediate nationalisation without compensation of all companies.

Beat me to it.

Edited by Mongoose-Man

4 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

'The number of full-time equivalent (FTE) civil servants has increased by nearly 20% since the headcount control mechanism was scrapped'.

Today's paper.

Not knowing the machinations of IOMG where does this come down to? Chief Sec? Treasury? Cabinet Office? 

Presumably each Dept is always happy to expand if they have the revenue as there will always be areas they are short / services the public are not happy with. Never mind all the statutory boards/quangos/funded charities etc. that the public purse is ultimately funding.

4 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

'The number of full-time equivalent (FTE) civil servants has increased by nearly 20% since the headcount control mechanism was scrapped'.

Today's paper.

Attached screenshot from nearly 2 years ago, reporting the concerns of Julie Edge, flagged up in Tynwald. 3 questions;

What happened to the motion carried requiring Comin to review?

Are all these extra people's contribution quantifiable?

Do our politicians actually have any control over the matter?

Screenshot_20230525-163237_Gallery.jpg

27 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

Not knowing the machinations of IOMG where does this come down to? Chief Sec? Treasury? Cabinet Office? 

Presumably each Dept is always happy to expand if they have the revenue as there will always be areas they are short / services the public are not happy with. Never mind all the statutory boards/quangos/funded charities etc. that the public purse is ultimately funding.

It took me a while to find this as this 'news' is actually from a Written Question to Wannenburgh, the answer to which was published nearly three weeks ago.  

But it's actually quite a detailed and useful answer providing numbers of Full Time Equivalent staff on 31 March 2016, 31 March 2021 and 31 March 2023.  Both for civil servants in each Department, Board and Office and (b) public servants in each of the other employment categories mentioned in the Written Answer.  The short answer is that nearly all civil service numbers have risen (as have wider public employee numbers, though not by so much). 

But we need to look at the figures closely because reorganisations or changed working practices may change bthe way things look.  For example the combines civil service numbers in DHSC/Manx Care have risen by 30%, but you need to add them together.  And the DfE figures have gone down at first glance, but that may be countered by the big increase in those on individual contracts.  I'll try to do some more analysis later.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Everything, pretty much. It includes the airport staff, the harbours staff, bus drivers, bus mechanics, highways, maintenance for public housing, the vehicle test centre, God knows what else.

The DOI’s issue is that it covers so much it becomes unwieldy.

Edited by Ringy Rose