Public sector workers have had enough of 'meaningless' discussions

HelmutX

2 hours ago, Mercenary said:

Not knowing the machinations of IOMG where does this come down to? Chief Sec? Treasury? Cabinet Office? 

Presumably each Dept is always happy to expand if they have the revenue as there will always be areas they are short / services the public are not happy with. Never mind all the statutory boards/quangos/funded charities etc. that the public purse is ultimately funding.

Cabinet office expansion is a major contributor plus myriads of H&S , compliance etc

28 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

I don't mean which areas have grown I mean who is responsible for the overall 'sizing' and stopping it growing indefinitely 

Comin supposedly but Alf said last year I think that he didn’t think the numbers were an issue. Perhaps if they told the unions we need to cut 10% of staff to fund the pay rises they want they may change their tune!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

Everything, pretty much. It includes the airport staff, the harbours staff, bus drivers, bus mechanics, highways, maintenance for public housing, the vehicle test centre, God knows what else.

The DOI’s issue is that it covers so much it becomes unwieldy.

It's not just infrastructure and "blue collar" stuff either, Local Authority admin and a number of other points all fall under the remit of DOI, possibly Rates admin outwith Treasury's part too.

Its scope is enormous and has been growing incessantly since its creation.

The problem with the public sector is not the salaries or fair pay rises; it’s simply the size of it. 
I am not aware of any serious attempt at examining efficiencies or the size  and scope of government since the last report was kicked into the long grass around 15 years ago, due to the difficulty of actually seeing reasonable recommendations through. For that, you must blame politicians who shirked that task then and continue to shirk it now. 
Most large private sector organisations will periodically assess their workforce requirements and make adjustments in order to maintain profitability. This is alien to the public sector, despite affordability concerns and the impact of new technology. At best, headcount is shuffled between departments. I hope that the creation of a new post at the head of the CS will bring in someone with a fresh view not rooted in the public sector and bureaucracy. The last thing we need is another Greenhow clone. Cannan has disappointed badly in this respect also and shown himself to be able to talk but not walk. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

The latest employment survey has been published. Look at page 20 before anyone wants to support anymore pay rises. The private sector works more and gets paid less by their own information.

https://www.gov.im/media/1379748/isle-of-man-earnings-survey-2022-publish_compressed.pdf

426B3BD0-1213-46E2-B551-726DDBC10F23.jpeg

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

The latest employment survey has been published. Look at page 20 before anyone wants to support anymore pay rises. The private sector works more and gets paid less by their own information.

https://www.gov.im/media/1379748/isle-of-man-earnings-survey-2022-publish_compressed.pdf

426B3BD0-1213-46E2-B551-726DDBC10F23.jpeg

I think I predicted this when their last raise got announced but Education is now the best paid sector, beating out e-gaming, legal and banking.

The squeeze at the bottom end continues also. Median wage is closer to the 'bottom end' than mean, and you can see IoM earnings only perform marginally better than UK here (which will be easily wiped out by the higher cost of living on-Island).

image.png.c9acb48add0b5b7984cf3e5024036462.png

35 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

I think I predicted this when their last raise got announced but Education is now the best paid sector, beating out e-gaming, legal and banking.

The squeeze at the bottom end continues also. Median wage is closer to the 'bottom end' than mean, and you can see IoM earnings only perform marginally better than UK here (which will be easily wiped out by the higher cost of living on-Island).

image.png.c9acb48add0b5b7984cf3e5024036462.png

And as @Andy Onchan was good enough to post elsewhere on these boards within the past day or so, that higher cost of living is being driven by the inflationary pressure from costs imposed by Govt itself and its various bodies.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

And as @Andy Onchan was good enough to post elsewhere on these boards within the past day or so, that higher cost of living is being driven by the inflationary pressure from costs imposed by Govt itself and its various bodies.

Yes it’s a doom cycle where the normal private sector worker is just throwing money onto a bigger bonfire. 

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

That would have an absolutely minimal impact, it’s fuel, food , travel which is driving inflation which is global & in fact CPI is lower here than UK

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

That would have an absolutely minimal impact, it’s fuel, food , travel which is driving inflation which is global & in fact CPI is lower here than UK

How do you think food and travel are facilitated in coming to and from the Island? Via the SPCo perchance? Or via the airport? Govt operations, both.

IoMG and its bodies' charges are ramping up local inflation, particularly when they are above-inflation increases such as the recent 25% hike in some DOI fees. 60% on electricity after July as well.

What's the RPI figure?