Banning traffic from towns

Broadcasterman

1 minute ago, buncha wankas said:

So you know there is a traffic order in place but because there is no signage you decide to over ride the traffic order and park there because you know they can’t ticket you because you can claim ignorance because no signage!   

The lazy councillors who often park there display their little yellow passes on their dashboards. Presumably as no traffic controller dares to ticket an DBC worthy even though they all have free parking in Shaws Brow 100 Yards away anyway. If a normal member of the public with no DBC pass put up parked there for any length if time they’d get a ticket. I know of people who have been ticketed there recently. An FOI to parking will easily resolve. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

You realise roads is DOI and not DBC right? And yes, it’s completely legal to park there at the moment and has been for a long time. Nelson Street is a different matter. 

Thanks for the heads up.

That will save me hundreds of pounds a year

21 minutes ago, The Port Soderick Herald said:

The lazy councillors who often park there display their little yellow passes on their dashboards. Presumably as no traffic controller dares to ticket an DBC worthy even though they all have free parking in Shaws Brow 100 Yards away anyway. If a normal member of the public with no DBC pass put up parked there for any length if time they’d get a ticket. I know of people who have been ticketed there recently. An FOI to parking will easily resolve. 

Considering Councillors have a reserved parking bay less than 100 yards from the Town Hall, that’s just taking the piss. Is he that self entitled? Service vehicles park there regularly which is fair enough as they have a need. How can a Councillor justify this in the real world? I’m alright Jack attitude springs to mind. And why is this Councillor busy shoving out negative comments when his own house is in a mess? Where’s the concern there?? Does he not know certain areas of DBC are really struggling?

3 hours ago, Cassie2 said:

Is that also a democratic German style thing or what?

You are the long-serving and Senior Admin of Local supposed Discussion Forums but you seem to not be cut out for that role. Maybe you have real mental issues and if so that should be addressed in your own best interests.

What is wrong with you?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Asthehills said:

Were you elected?

Like every other local authority member @Amadeus was elected.  He was not elected in a contested election -nor were I suspect a majority of LA members - but he was elected.

5 hours ago, buncha wankas said:

So you know there is a traffic order in place but because there is no signage you decide to over ride the traffic order and park there because you know they can’t ticket you because you can claim ignorance because no signage!   You really are an arrogant little man and are an embarrassment to the people of Douglas. 

This literally makes no sense.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Like every other local authority member @Amadeus was elected.  He was not elected in a contested election -nor were I suspect a majority of LA members - but he was elected.

You could go further and say that he was elected by the greatest majority because no one stood against him.  A stretch of logic, I grant you, but this continual assertion that any of those who stood unopposed were 'unelected' and so are in some way inferior is misunderstanding the process. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

You could go further and say that he was elected by the greatest majority because no one stood against him.  

You could but that would likely open up your claims to ridicule as you could equally claim that they were elected but “nobody at all actually voted for them” 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, The Port Soderick Herald said:

You could but that would likely open up your claims to ridicule as you could equally claim that they were elected but “nobody at all actually voted for them” 

I did go on to saying was a stretch of logic.  But having been elected unopposed, in what way should those people be considered inferior and have their role and function curtailed? 

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I did go on to saying was a stretch of logic.  But having been elected unopposed, in what way should those people be considered inferior and have their role and function curtailed? 

I largely agree. There is the potential for a democratic deficit, though. Gelling would get re-elected unopposed and then hold ministerial roles (even CM) over mhks  who'd topped contested polls. 

It's probably less important in local government - especially outside Douglas where there's little executive decision making. They should, perhaps, consider reducing the number of roles. It's less than ideal to have an uncontested Councillor because it's a stick to beat them with, usually used by unelected self-appointed "Voices of the People" who have less democratic mandate. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

this continual assertion that any of those who stood unopposed were 'unelected' and so are in some way inferior is misunderstanding the process. 

@Gladys Do you never weary of trying to explain this concept to people who aren’t interested; who not only understand it well enough but, as @Declan points out, just want to use it to attack individuals that they don’t like?

It’s not ignorance of democratic process - it’s just another bullying tactic in the seemingly endless arsenal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3