Banning traffic from towns

Broadcasterman

8 minutes ago, The Port Soderick Herald said:

Just facts really

Well, Gladys and I provided some facts about the article that you linked to - but you seem to have ignored them.   I assume therefore that you only want to see “facts” with which you already agree.

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

No, there is nothing in that piece that supports the view that someone returned unopposed has some inferior status.  It says uncontested elections are not great, and no one is arguing that they are.  Just that they are a feature of our democracy and someone returned in these cases is no less a valid representative than those who have stood for a contested seat.  If you are arguing otherwise, then you miss how undemocratic that would be. 

Your are absolutely right. This whole subject is starting to pee me off. 

I don't think it was wise parking in an area that doesn't look like it was meant for parking. The stone sets seem to have been more effective than double yellow lines until now. I don't think it's a good idea from people in public office to exploit was is obviously an oversight. Parking should not be permitted here. 

However no law has been broken and the bile and bitterness towards these properly elected councillors is a disgrace and far in extreme for what is a minor thing really. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Your are absolutely right. This whole subject is starting to pee me off. 

I don't think it was wise parking in an area that doesn't look like it was meant for parking. The stone sets seem to have been more effective than double yellow lines until now. I don't think it's a good idea from people in public office to exploit was is obviously an oversight. Parking should not be permitted here. 

However no law has been broken and the bile and bitterness towards these properly elected councillors is a disgrace and far in extreme for what is a minor thing really. 

You might have a point if the councillor in question didn’t make a point of trying to show up others for their parking.  If he didn’t, then I wouldn’t care less.

Since he does and even recently suggested someone might not be insured to be driving on the road without a shred of evidence to support what he was saying, he makes himself fair game when he parks like a tit as far as I am concerned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

You might have a point if the councillor in question didn’t make a point of trying to show up others for their parking.  If he didn’t, then I wouldn’t care less.

Since he does and even recently suggested someone might not be insured to be driving on the road without a shred of evidence to support what he was saying, he makes himself fair game when he parks like a tit as far as I am concerned.

The irony is that if his return as a Councillor is not valid, (and I do not believe that) then he is just any old member of the public, so does it matter where he parks legally?  Can't argue it both ways. 

BTW, it was not prudent for him to park there, even if it was 'just to nip quickly' somewhere.   It would have been better not to give the likes of PSH the ammunition, IMHO. 

Just now, Gladys said:

The irony is that if his return as a Councillor is not valid, (and I do not believe that) then he is just any old member of the public, so does it matter where he parks legally?  Can't argue it both ways. 

BTW, it was not prudent for him to park there, even if it was 'just to nip quickly' somewhere.   It would have been better not to give the likes of PSH the ammunition, IMHO. 

Anyone who posts in public about something other people do makes themselves a target if they do the same whether they are a politician or not.  It’s human nature.

• Thanks 1

On 5/26/2023 at 5:14 PM, english zloty said:

Yes. Leave the car at home means less parking required however Metrolink is every 10 minutes. 

most places now combine cycle lanes, hire scooters and pleasant walking don’t they? We seem to have a plan for the destination but not the getting there

I'm not a fan of public transport personally, but when I lived in Sale I used the Metrolink on a number of occasions. Clean, cheap, reliable, convenient and as EZ says, every 10 minutes. I suspect it would cost tens of millions to introduce a similar system to the IOM, unless we electrify and sack the heritage rail, reinstate the Peel line and buy modern rolling stock.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Sorry to add facts to this “debate” again. But all councilors have free allocated parking in Shaws Brow just 100 yards away. I also believe on very good authority that the car was parked there for over two hours as a council meeting (ironically to in part agree to close part of the N Quay to traffic) went ahead. As “as the hills” has said perhaps the best way to avoid scrutiny yourself is not to go around on Twitter embarrassing other “selfish parkers”?

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Anyone who posts in public about something other people do makes themselves a target if they do the same whether they are a politician or not.  It’s human nature.

More of a target if they are a politician, I think. 

We have a mostly complacent electorate who only fire into action after someone is elected, ot there would be very few uncontested seats. 

1 minute ago, The Port Soderick Herald said:

Sorry to add facts to this “debate” again. But all councilors have free allocated parking in Shaws Brow just 100 yards away. I also believe on very good authority that the car was parked there for over two hours as a council meeting (ironically to in part agree to close part of the N Quay to traffic) went ahead. As “as the hills” has said perhaps the best way to avoid scrutiny yourself is not to go around on Twitter embarrassing other “selfish parkers”?

That is a known fact and he confirmed that free parking places were available to councillors.  There was no need for you to add it. 

It doesn't look good that the corpy are rightly promoting pedestrianised no parking areas, if a commissioner then parks in a pedestrian area. 

Pointing that out is in the public interest. And there's a degree of hypocrisy to brand that as stalking when the commissioner in question shares photos of dodgy parking regularly almost obsessively. 

But that points been made. Some people are overegging it to score points.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, The Port Soderick Herald said:

What an odd claim. Perhaps the house of Parliament library is also using a “bullying tactic” to highlight the reality of uncontested elections. Namely elections where no votes are cast (ie. the public is not directly involved in electing the official concerned). 

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/uncontested-elections-where-and-why-do-they-take-place/

There really do seem to be some awfully silly reality defying posters on this forum who seem to like to paint an alternative vision of reality. It does make you wonder what the editorial bias of this forum is when factual posts concerning people linked to DBC are denied, and yet claims and the open abuse of almost everyone else in Manx politics seems to be actively encouraged. 

You seem to have a very similar posting style to offshore manc & Brit ie aggressive, don’t like being challenged when shown to be wrong, accusing others of being stupid, always concerned with DBC , are you triplets?

• Haha 4