Banning traffic from towns

Broadcasterman

6 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Your are absolutely right. This whole subject is starting to pee me off. 

I don't think it was wise parking in an area that doesn't look like it was meant for parking. The stone sets seem to have been more effective than double yellow lines until now. I don't think it's a good idea from people in public office to exploit was is obviously an oversight. Parking should not be permitted here. 

However no law has been broken and the bile and bitterness towards these properly elected councillors is a disgrace and far in extreme for what is a minor thing really. 

Is that the same bile and bitterness the local council guy shows when ridiculing residents and photographing them and judging.   Eh!  

7 hours ago, The Port Soderick Herald said:

Sorry to add facts to this “debate” again. But all councilors have free allocated parking in Shaws Brow just 100 yards away. I also believe on very good authority that the car was parked there for over two hours as a council meeting (ironically to in part agree to close part of the N Quay to traffic) went ahead. As “as the hills” has said perhaps the best way to avoid scrutiny yourself is not to go around on Twitter embarrassing other “selfish parkers”?

I think you need to check your sources or maybe have fewer pints at the (now with nice outdoor seating) Rovers. 

I won't stop there again, even if "Councillor parks outside town hall without breaking any laws or obstructing anyone" is a really weak headline, even by local standards. Still, the one thing I learned is that some people will take anything and everything as a reason to have a pop. 

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

I think you need to check your sources or maybe have fewer pints at the (now with nice outdoor seating) Rovers. 

I won't stop there again, even if "Councillor parks outside town hall without breaking any laws or obstructing anyone" is a really weak headline, even by local standards. Still, the one thing I learned is that some people will take anything and everything as a reason to have a pop. 

Like you have a pop at strangers and residents of the island.  Jog on mate, you are a hypocrite and have been found out.  Perhaps you will think twice before you park and obstruct pedestrians and disabled people because you are too lazy to walk 100 yards to your free parking paid for by rate payers. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

Still, the one thing I learned is that some people will take anything and everything as a reason to have a pop. 

As I said above, and as another poster has already said, perhaps the best way to avoid scrutiny yourself is not to go around on Twitter trying to embarrass other self proclaimed “selfish parkers” for cheap content. Then perhaps next time your car is parked in a thoughtless selfish place someone won’t take a picture of it and put it on social media exactly like you seem to take pictures of similarly parked cars and put them on your social media account. I’d guess though that your skin might possibly be too thick and your need for public attention may be such that you might be physically incapable of exercising that sort of restraint when walking down a street. 

Edited by The Port Soderick Herald
  • Thanks 1

To be honest, if this issue is the most you can come up with, I think things can’t be that bad. 

Just wondering: Do I have to ban you now? You seem to know these things better than me. Please advise. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

To be honest, if this issue is the most you can come up with, I think things can’t be that bad. 

Just wondering: Do I have to ban you now? You seem to know these things better than me. Please advise. 

Are you threatening to ban members because they call you out for doing what YOU call public members out for on your social media? Seriously this is the Isle of Man not North Korea.  Astonishing behaviour.  Show some humility and integrity. 

• Haha 1

You can either park selflessly or shelfishly!

Even tho' it's a BMW and those drivers think they can park wherever they like, think they've got you on this one Amadeus, can't stick up for you this time!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, buncha wankas said:

Are you threatening to ban members because they call you out for doing what YOU call public members out for on your social media? Seriously this is the Isle of Man not North Korea.  Astonishing behaviour.  Show some humility and integrity. 

I’m asking Mr Persecution Complex Herald what I should do now because surely under his world view I’d have to ban him for at least forever now. Lighten up darling. 

19 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I'm not a fan of public transport personally, but when I lived in Sale I used the Metrolink on a number of occasions. Clean, cheap, reliable, convenient and as EZ says, every 10 minutes. 

So much dumb in so few words. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

I’m asking Mr Persecution Complex Herald what I should do now because surely under his world view I’d have to ban him for at least forever now. Lighten up darling. 

I know this was a rhetorical joke to score a point in a petty argument but don't. On this issue you'd be best advised to leave the moderation and crap jokes to Albert.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

21 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I'm not a fan of public transport personally, but when I lived in Sale I used the Metrolink on a number of occasions. Clean, cheap, reliable, convenient and as EZ says, every 10 minutes. I suspect it would cost tens of millions to introduce a similar system to the IOM, unless we electrify and sack the heritage rail, reinstate the Peel line and buy modern rolling stock.

I thought we were getting a monorail? 

• Haha 1

On 6/17/2023 at 8:43 PM, Cassie2 said:

Douglas Borough Council (DBC) is all too often very much anti the public whom they are meant to be there to represent.

They would still be able to charge the big rates up at the big business parks if DBC got the boundaries extended to include them as they most certainly have long wanted. 

And not forgetting the negativity and obstructionism of the IOMG Planning Department and the IOM Chamber of (No)Commerce. The local people as consumers always seem to hold absolutely no relevance, no importance and no interest to Douglas Borough Council nor the IOM Government. 

Far too often they are arrogant, smug, incompetent and unfit for purpose organisations - as virtually everyone knows except apparently themselves. Or maybe they do know but just don't give a sh*t.

Indeed. And some absolute nutters want to clone this organisation and foist the results onto the rest of the Island.

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2023 at 1:46 PM, Stu Peters said:

I'm not a fan of public transport personally, but when I lived in Sale I used the Metrolink on a number of occasions. Clean, cheap, reliable, convenient and as EZ says, every 10 minutes. I suspect it would cost tens of millions to introduce a similar system to the IOM, unless we electrify and sack the heritage rail, reinstate the Peel line and buy modern rolling stock.

You didn't use it by choice though, Stu. To clean (unless someone threw up in the corner), cheap (yes), reliable (most of the time) and convenient (entirely depends on where you live and where you're heading), we might add crowded (often like a sardine tin), hot and steamy (it's pissing down outside and everyone was soaked when they got on coz it's Manchester), and uncomfortable (which grade of concrete do they make those seats out of?).

In the end you would much prefer to use your nice comfortable motor car seat into which you can park your bum straight out of your front door. You can have your own choice of fragrance, background music, route and speed, intimate female company, etc. at a time of your own choosing. You've paid the exorbitant tax and insurance on it for a year, and you bought the petrol last week so you feel almost obliged to use it. That's without considering the disagreeable and unavoidable "other passengers" on the public conveyance who may be high, drunk, rowdy, aggressive etc, and nobody is going to sort out their behaviour because it's nobody's job to do so.

It's not just you. Everyone's the same because it's human nature and we like the pleasant, easy, most comfortable option. You used Metrolink in Manchester because of the traffic and the effing hassle parking the car in the city, and for no other reason. The only way it will change is by taxing the masses out of private transport so that it once more becomes the preserve of the elite. We are never going to volunteer because somebody says so or paints pretty cycleways that nobody uses on the roads. I do support pedestrianisation because it enhances the street ambiance. I'd be the first to agree that the place looks far better when not cluttered with vehicles, but it's never going to change the attitude of the masses. We are all too wedded to our own convenience.

As for the Isle of Man specifically, intensive mass transit is a non-starter simply because we don't have the mass to use the intensity, we never will have, and that should be the end of any consideration of the matter. Something being a non-starter of course has never been an impediment to them taking the stupid option in the past.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2