Banning traffic from towns

Broadcasterman

On 6/18/2023 at 3:55 PM, Amadeus said:

The new traffic order for this area is already in place. For some reason the DOI hasn’t managed to get the new signs up (it’s been months) so anyone can park there right now. Not that i have to. Councillors get free parking. 

I only arrived at this thread because I was linked here while catching up with the "More uslessness from DBC thread"

Can I just state at the outset that I've previously had no particular problem with either you or DBC (I've lived in the UK for almost 40 years now) and I'm not part of the "bash Frank and DBC at every opportunity brigade", but I think that post of yours reflects badly on you.

Perhaps I've misunderstood, but you appear to be saying that you know a traffic order prohibiting parking is already in place, but that because the signage has been months late in being put in situ, you think it's ok to park there while knowing that you shouldn't?

Well you may not be breaking the strict letter of the law, but you are certainly breaking the spirit of it.

I don't think that elected councillors should do that. 

You should be apologising for doing it, not trying to justify it.

(Couldn't you have used the free parking that you apparently get a couple of hundred yards away?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/19/2023 at 9:43 AM, Amadeus said:

I might if I’m quickly dropping something off. I wasn’t parking there all day. 

Can you not see that that really is the wrong answer to that question?

The right answer would be that you shouldn't have done it in the first place and that you won't do it again.

If you get free parking just around the corner, what do you think the point of it is?

Edited by Ghost Ship
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/19/2023 at 1:04 AM, Roger Mexico said:

...This literally makes no sense.  

@buncha wankas might not have expressed himself (or herself) particularly eloquently, but I thought it made perfect sense and I agree 100% with the sentiment behind it.

By way of explanation, where I live in the UK both parking and vehicle access regulation are really contentious issues.  Any elected councillor who knowingly parked where they shouldn't and then tried to wheedle out of it on the technical ground that the signage was deficient, would get very short shrift.  OK for an unwitting member of the public, but certainly not OK for a councillor pressing for further traffic regulation and supposedly supporting a "green" agenda...

Edited by Ghost Ship
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2023 at 11:21 AM, Declan said:

I know this was a rhetorical joke to score a point in a petty argument but don't. On this issue you'd be best advised to leave the moderation and crap jokes to Albert.

On 6/20/2023 at 11:40 AM, Roxanne said:

He’s right Amadeus, you get a battering on here by some who are out to get you, and it’s unfair, but you do yourself no favours sometimes. 

If I were both an elected Douglas councillor and a moderator on this forum, then:

1.  I would refrain from responding to any threads that criticised either DBC or myself in my role as a councillor, and 

2.  I would recuse myself from moderating any posts that criticised either DBC or myself - whether in my role as a councillor or as a private individual.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

If I were both an elected Douglas councillor and a moderator on this forum, then:

1.  I would refrain from responding to any threads that criticised either DBC or myself in my role as a councillor, and 

2.  I would recuse myself from moderating any posts that criticised either DBC or myself - whether in my role as a councillor or as a private individual.

That’s good advice. Although I managed to get suspended by the councillor myself directly after only a few days it would seem that usually a Mr Tatlock is used to front that sort of thing instead. He wasn’t in the pub this afternoon. I believe his presence was sorely missed. It’s hoped that he is not unwell. 

5 hours ago, WTF said:

wow, a van on its lid in  a 30mph zone

Just in time for the DOI to use this as their main excuse for making the whole area 20 mph with totally over the top traffic calming installed. The only major accident to happen in the area in thirty years. Was it a DOI unmarked Transit? 

• Like 1

in terms of seconds........on your journey through the area in question - how much would changing the speed limit from 30mph to 20mph make a difference ?

it would make a hell of a lot of difference to someone who gets hit.

and just because a major accident has not happened in the area for 30 years, thats not a justifcation for keeping it at 30mph

Edited by newaccount
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Its not just the DOI that use fleet numbers on their vehicles, a number of local authorities do too and i've also seen them on the likes of Dandaras fleet. Current 20mph limits are absolutely useless and often aren't adhered to, just go into any of the 20mph 'home' zones, you will see numerous vehicles doing 30mph+

7 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

Its not just the DOI that use fleet numbers on their vehicles, a number of local authorities do too and i've also seen them on the likes of Dandaras fleet. Current 20mph limits are absolutely useless and often aren't adhered to, just go into any of the 20mph 'home' zones, you will see numerous vehicles doing 30mph+

It is the sole duty of the police to enforce speeding restrictions. I am not aware that I have seen any particular genre or pattern of speeding by DOI or Dandara or any other organisation. In fact most of the speeders I see in the 20mph zones are R plate drivers hanging around the schools. 

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

No, no, I think they also do other things too.

I live on a road with a 20 MPH limit. I also have a dog who is walked along the road 4/5 times a day. There are no pavements so it's a 'shared space'. It's narrow in places with lots of parked cars so it requires drivers to wait while others come through. A driver doing 20MPH makes the walk an unassuming one. A driver doing 30MPH gets the heart going a bit. A driver doing 40MPH is a pretty scary experience. A driver doing 30MPH and chicaning their way through the parked cars is an even more scary experience as it involves pedestrians having to nip into home owners driveways and gates to let the cars park. If you're between gates then it can get really hairy. worst is at night, winter, raining with limited street lights. you truly do take your life in your hands then. A driver doing 20MPH you can cope with, 30, and 40 is truly heart wrenching stuff.

Interestingly, there isn't one sign on the road to say the limit is 20. Apart from the signs at the top of the hills, to say 20 zone, on the lower roads nothing. It's not always bad driving or not adhering to the rules, sometimes it's that people just do not know what the limit is - despite the residents shouting '20' at passing speeding cars.

I've been seriously considering going out at night with a spray can of paint and painting the road with '20'.  Fluorescent pink. Natch.

Would it make any difference? Yes. I think the percentage of speeder would decrease. However, the ones that go along at 50MPh at 9, 10, 11 pm, probably wouldn't take a blind bit of notice.

Its the only thing I don't lie about living where I live and it's now getting so bad that I'm considering  moving somewhere with a quieter road or at least a pavement.

Have you asked the DOI to put up more reminder signs?

Have you told the police about your problems?

Have you written to your MHK and Chris Thomas? 

Genuine questions. If not it might be worth a shot. You shouldn't have to move house because people are breaking the law.