Banning traffic from towns

Broadcasterman

7 hours ago, Happier diner said:

It is the sole duty of the police to enforce speeding restrictions. I am not aware that I have seen any particular genre or pattern of speeding by DOI or Dandara or any other organisation. In fact most of the speeders I see in the 20mph zones are R plate drivers hanging around the schools. 

I see speeding on a daily basis from all manner of vehicles and drivers, but to be clear I wasn't suggesting the van above was speeding, only that it appears to be a fleet vehicle due to the numbers on the side but there is more than just DOI vehicles with fleet numbers on, there is also a good chance it has a tracker fitted anyway. Worst areas I find for speeding are 20mph/30mph zones, Ramsey Quay has changed to a 20mph for example but you'd never know that, dare to do 20mph and you'll have idiots pushing you on or edging out as if they want to overtake. The 20mph zone going through Laxey village is also widely ignored, I've also had some vans overtake me on the mountain whilst i've been doing 60+mph and the limit for commerical vans is 60mph, I've also been behind HGVs weighing more than 7.5 tonnes that have been doing 40mph + (more like 50-55mph in sections).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

@Asthehills @x-in-man go on then how do you tip a van up on Alexander drive at 30mph.

It would be quite easy to do, especially if the van swerved to take avoiding action, there may have been a load in the back that moved and also added to the momentum, if they hit the van head on it would be a different story but the side of the van has deflected like a barrier.

4 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Have you asked the DOI to put up more reminder signs?

Have you told the police about your problems?

Have you written to your MHK and Chris Thomas? 

Yes, frequently, but thanks for the suggestions all the same. It’s low priority and until someone is killed then nothing will change. 

4 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Yes, frequently, but thanks for the suggestions all the same. It’s low priority and until someone is killed then nothing will change. 

Implementing a 20mph zone is as far as their solution goes, the short cut that is Minorca Hill - Old Laxey Hill is exactly the same and speed humps make zero difference as its used as a rat run.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

One night last summer I got so pissed off I stood in my garden in a green dayglo tabard with my hairdryer in my hand pointing at the fast cars. It did work but I’m a busy woman, I can’t be out there 24/7.

They probably would have just carried on speeding...if you'd worn the rest of your clothes 😊

1 hour ago, Asthehills said:

If it was easy it would happen more often. I didn't say it wasn't possible. I just said it's unlikely at 30mph. A sharp swerve and clip a kerb/ramp and it's possible I agree. 

Odds on for me the van was speeding. 

2 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

It would be quite easy to do, especially if the van swerved to take avoiding action, there may have been a load in the back that moved and also added to the momentum, if they hit the van head on it would be a different story but the side of the van has deflected like a barrier.

It's not easy. It's possible. 

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

If it was easy it would happen more often. I didn't say it wasn't possible. I just said it's unlikely at 30mph. A sharp swerve and clip a kerb/ramp and it's possible I agree. 

Odds on for me the van was speeding. 

That’s quite a conclusion you have leapt to.

2 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

I see speeding on a daily basis from all manner of vehicles and drivers, but to be clear I wasn't suggesting the van above was speeding, only that it appears to be a fleet vehicle due to the numbers on the side but there is more than just DOI vehicles with fleet numbers on, there is also a good chance it has a tracker fitted anyway. 

I wouldn’t discount the DOI or other government department as it’s a fairly new Transit minibus and it did have fleet numbers on the side. No sign writing though. 

1 hour ago, Asthehills said:

That’s quite a conclusion you have leapt to.

Yes it is. I am speculating. But Van's dont end up on there sides when people are driving sensibly and at appropriate speed. Van's on their side are caused by a vehicle being out of control. It may not have been the van drivers fault. He/ she might have had to take evasive action. 

One thing is for sure. If it was 20, and everyone was doing 20 (max) I'll bet the result would not have been the same. 

7 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Yes it is. I am speculating. But Van's dont end up on there sides when people are driving sensibly and at appropriate speed. Van's on their side are caused by a vehicle being out of control. It may not have been the van drivers fault. He/ she might have had to take evasive action. 

One thing is for sure. If it was 20, and everyone was doing 20 (max) I'll bet the result would not have been the same. 

I literally showed you two videos of larger vehicles ending up on their roofs at low speed.

You are talking crap

• Confused 2