Banning traffic from towns

Broadcasterman

2 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

That won’t be happening.

DBC not that organised 😂

They actually license and in most cases audition (really) buskers who want to sing in the street so I’d have thought it would be odd if they didn’t vet any trader that they offered a pitch to. I mean it would be awful if they were prioritizing the economic needs of unlicensed traders over those of tax, Ni, VAT & rate paying Douglas businesses. 

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

They actually license and in most cases audition (really) buskers who want to sing in the street so I’d have thought it would be odd if they didn’t vet any trader that they offered a pitch to. I mean it would be awful if they were prioritizing the economic needs of unlicensed traders over those of tax, Ni, VAT & rate paying Douglas businesses. 

What license do they need?  Genuine question. 

42 minutes ago, Gladys said:

What license do they need?  Genuine question. 

I don’t know that’s what I’m asking. Someone said to me before some of the traders looked a bit dodgy and I said that as they even license the buskers:

http://www.douglas.gov.im/index.php/info/item/85-buskers

I’m sure they must do some checks on these businesses before they agree to giving them a pitch otherwise the other shop keepers would be well pissed off I’d imagine if they were allowing under the counter black market sales on their land when everyone else is paying their way supporting the economy. 

Edited by offshoremanxman

29 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

They don’t audition or license buskers , what an idiotic statement from DBC no 1 hater

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Today, in the free-for-all car park that was once the bus station, along one length of parking spaces was a rope - taped to the rope at intervals were pieces of photocopied A4 paper. These notices, which were from the Manx Food Traders Association (or some similar phrasing, but obviously associated with the food market) stated that those places were reserved for members of the MFTA and any other cars parked there would be towed away.

Looks like if you have a photocopier you can stake your claim to a parking space.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Banker said:

They don’t audition or license buskers , what an idiotic statement from DBC no 1 hater

Technically they don't because the auditioning and licencing is done by our old friends Douglas Town Centre Management.  So now you know what they do all day.

36 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Today, in the free-for-all car park that was once the bus station, along one length of parking spaces was a rope - taped to the rope at intervals were pieces of photocopied A4 paper. These notices, which were from the Manx Food Traders Association (or some similar phrasing, but obviously associated with the food market) stated that those places were reserved for members of the MFTA and any other cars parked there would be towed away.

Looks like if you have a photocopier you can stake your claim to a parking space.

They're not allowed to charge, but presumably the developers are entitled to allow anyone they want to use the land to park for free and prevent anyone else from doing so.

2 minutes ago, The Port Soderick Herald said:

The messaging does seem to be very confused for the event. Come and experience all the local African, Indian and Malaysian produce on display. 

840E1F26-4C97-4787-AFD2-8DF5332F3E83.jpeg

Imagine you're more of a Manx crab - chips,  cheese & gravy fan?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

There just seems to be a hell of a lot of irrational effort and PR being applied by certain people to justify the closure of about 300 yards of road because closing the road was their great idea. The rest of the town is a tip but some people seem to have far too much time on their hands to try to make this look like it’s justification for their road closing fetish. I’d love to know what vetting of traders goes on too when you hear of some of the dodgy types they’ve had down there who will only take cash.  

I usually have you on ignore but I really have to ask what is wrong with you? What causes this neverending, deep seated, irrational hatred of your fellow human beings? It doesn't matter what we do, you ALWAYS, without exception, are hostile towards it. We could plant a money tree that drops 20 pound notes every five minutes and you'd complain that they're just 20s and not 50s. That's simply not normal. You're also dragging this place down with your constant hostility.

FWIW, the place was busy, numerous stands sold out, and yes, they did take card. Now before I block you again, explain to me how a handful of cars (that can easily drive elsewhere) driving through there is better use of that area than people enjoying a public space and traders making money? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Asthehills said:

No card payments in 2023 really does just make you think it’s a bit dodgy.

I assume they were issuing receipts?

It's a charity with what I guess will be very few takings. After a recent interaction I was tempted to buy them a sumsup machine but I think even that would be ott. Which reminds me I meant to catch up with them. 

1 minute ago, ADELE said:

I think the buskers have to get permission from Douglas Town (City) Central management and they are allotted a day and time window in which they perform much like the collections for charities.

Yes.

2 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

I usually have you on ignore but I really have to ask what is wrong with you? What causes this neverending, deep seated, irrational hatred of your fellow human beings? It doesn't matter what we do, you ALWAYS, without exception, are hostile towards it. We could plant a money tree that drops 20 pound notes every five minutes and you'd complain that they're just 20s and not 50s. That's simply not normal. You're also dragging this place down with your constant hostility.

FWIW, the place was busy, numerous stands sold out, and yes, they did take card. Now before I block you again, explain to me how a handful of cars (that can easily drive elsewhere) driving through there is better use of that area than people enjoying a public space and traders making money? 

Why wasn’t it in one of the others areas suggested?

What was the benefit of it being on a closed road?

Do other rate paying businesses who aren’t on the Quay get a refund for having the council actively try and direct footfall away from them?

• Thanks 1