Banning traffic from towns

Broadcasterman

10 hours ago, John Wright said:

Oh, @Amadeus, Frank, the person equally responsible for “dragging this place down” is you. You really shouldn’t be responding to those posts, let alone moderating them. Yes, @Asthehills and @The Port Soderick Herald are annoying, but you are too precious about the council and anything it does. It’s not a paragon, in fact it’s pretty crap.

Suggest you undo the permanent bans you’ve just imposed, last night,  on both.

29 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Might I suggest you secure the attic door more firmly....perhaps add an additional padlock?

Do you think the ban is justified then@Albert Tatlock?

There is £100 for a charity if you can show a post or comment that justified a ban.

Edited by Glashtyn

Just now, Jarndyce said:

Who gets to arbitrate on whether justification has been demonstrated - or not?

Banned for abusive behaviour.

Show evidence of any abuse.  It’s pretty simple.

I suspect it was really for asking questions of DBC of a councillor throwing his toys out of the pram.

Every poster is welcome to review this thread from last night and see what sort of moderation we are dealing with here.  It’s killing the site.

Just now, Glashtyn said:

Banned for abusive behaviour.

Show evidence of any abuse.  It’s pretty simple.

I suspect it was really for asking questions of DBC of a councillor throwing his toys out of the pram.

Every poster is welcome to review this thread from last night and see what sort of moderation we are dealing with here.  It’s killing the site.

I won't miss @Asthehills to be honest as he/she is/was an argumentative tosspot that pushes the point too much. However lifetime ban. That's harsh. What a shame he will/ won't be able to get back on the a new identity. 

Funny how old JW is criticising it though as he showed no modicum of fairness whatsoever ever when he had the power. Even banned me for FA once. Not that I keep reminding him though😇

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Clondike said:

some dodgy characters can sell some ethnic food

For someone who’s new, the thinly-veiled racism is remarkably similar to the Port Soderick Herald.

Which is a real shame, as the Port Soderick Herald’s brand of satire is only marginally less humorous than having Edward Scissorhands doing my bowel surgery.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Funny how old JW is criticising it though as he showed no modicum of fairness whatsoever ever when he had the power.

Indeed, I got a month’s ban once for being “boring”.

Maybe that’s a fair comment, but still, bit rich to be criticising now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Funny how old JW is criticising it though as he showed no modicum of fairness whatsoever ever when he had the power.

He’s always looked after his friends. ATH must be in genuine shock that they actually got banned for something as they’ve had diplomatic immunity for years. 

Edited by Clondike

On another forum that I tune into from time to time, someone mentioned this forum, which brought the response

"The quote from Manx Forums reminds me why I left the vile platform ten years ago."

Sometimes (perhaps too often) arguments get very bitter and twisted, and there is not much tolerance on either side. It's no real wonder that the people who are still frequent contributors do have a tendency to be just a little negative at times.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Clondike said:

He’s always looked after his friends. ATH must be in genuine shock that they actually got banned for something as they’ve had diplomatic immunity for years. 

Given that ATH only joined MF on 1 August 2022, it's difficult to see how they had the time for years of anything.  (Though they still made over 2000 comments in that period).

20 hours ago, Happier diner said:

@AsthehillsFunny how old JW is criticising it though as he showed no modicum of fairness whatsoever ever when he had the power. Even banned me for FA once. 

I recall suspending your posting rights for a limited period. It was for a long tit for tat turn of the screw exchange with another poster that was out of control. Both of you were suspended.

go on, screen shot and post the warning, prove I’m wrong.

20 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

Indeed, I got a month’s ban once for being “boring”.

Maybe that’s a fair comment, but still, bit rich to be criticising now.

I’ve never suspended anyone for being boring. 

go on, screen shot and post the warning, prove I’m wrong.

I was criticising Amadeus moderating in his own cause. That’s very different. I never moderated comments about me. But I was lucky, there were several others. Amadeus doesn’t have that luxury.

17 hours ago, Clondike said:

Any one who gets moderated always thinks they’ve done no wrong and it’s the moderator who is unfair, biased, protecting their friends.

There are well over 10,000+ members. I’ve been here a very long time. I know about 10-15 other members. Those who post under their own names and those who have “let on”. I consider 3 or 4 to be friends. I’ve never protected them.

in all that time I’ve occasionally met other mods. Ans twice, unisol once, slinky devil never, Amadeus about 4 times, Gladys a dozen times. The only one I consider more than an acquaintance is Gladys.

Ive no idea who asthehills is/was. Nor Clondike. I’ve moderated to the best of my ability, without favour, to anyone. Sometimes I’ve had to make difficult decisions.

Perhaps I shouldn’t have stood down when I did, but I’d had enough. 

Moderation isn’t about being the taste police. It’s reactive to complaints. Some posters have no filter and no sense of when to stop. And if they’re filtered or stopped they can become nasty personal and obsessive.

That became apparent when the DBC bins issue cropped up. The abuse directed at Amadeus and the other councillors was shocking. The number of sock puppets and resurrected or reincarnated posters became stupid.

As I say, it’s not a good idea to moderate posts about yourself. That’s the only point I was making. 

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Given that ATH only joined MF on 1 August 2022, it's difficult to see how they had the time for years of anything.  (Though they still made over 2000 comments in that period )

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, John Wright said:

suspended.

go on, screen shot and post the warning, prove I’m wrong

I don't have a screen shot of a warning because you didn't give me a warning. That's my point. You should have given me a warning. The reason for my ban was "stop turning the screw on bandits" fair enough you could have said that in a warning especially as bandits was one of those repeat offenders who flit in and out and I was a long time member and subscriber and someone of good repute on here. It was a bad decision IMO. But hey I recognise being a moderator is tough and you can't always get it right. 

FTR. The Ts and C's do not mention anything about turning screws. 

• Like 2