Banning traffic from towns

Broadcasterman

53 minutes ago, BriT said:

Even the disabled are now kicking off. Looks like a right old mess just so that an empty stretch of road can be kept … largely empty 

7957EC2F-95E6-4C53-B913-C185C82817F6.jpeg

Now as a disabled person, that is bloody ridiculous.

Those spaces are well used and important if you want to visit any of the businesses in that area.

I’m beginning to think sadly, that this is a crusade by a councillor who has a personal agenda to push and bugger anyone who is inconvenienced by him!

7 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I’m beginning to think sadly, that this is a crusade by a councillor who has a personal agenda to push and bugger anyone who is inconvenienced by him!

You only have to look at one source of this madness:

https://www.greenparty.im/green-party-politcians

“I believe that Douglas must aspire to be a capital the Isle of Man deserves and can be proud of.”

A deluded green zealot using an unpaid council role to fulfill personal aspirations as a frustrated town planner. 

• Like 1

Loads of spaces on the right hand side, you can literally see all the cars parked there. Make them disabled only if it’s really an issue.

I’m in favour of it, it improves the whole area. It’s so much nicer sitting outside a pub when you’re looking out over a harbour rather than looking over a car park. There’s plenty of parking in Douglas, including two (call it three if you include the old bus station) big car parks on the quay. Use those.

• Like 1

Just now, Ringy Rose said:

I’m in favour of it, it improves the whole area. It’s so much nicer sitting outside a pub when you’re looking out over a harbour rather than looking over a car park.

There aren’t many spaces that block your view to be honest. Most of the car parking is well past the outlook of Barbary Coast. 

5 minutes ago, BriT said:

There aren’t many spaces that block your view to be honest. Most of the car parking is well past the outlook of Barbary Coast. 

I’m meaning all the way along, outside Noa, the British and the Bridge especially.

FWIW the pedestrianised bit doesn’t need to go past Barbary, keep parking beyond there. Restrict it to blue badges if it’s an issue.

And if there aren’t many spaces, then it’s not an issue anyway!

Edited by Ringy Rose

2 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

I’m meaning all the way along, outside Noa, the British and the Bridge especially.

But there no parking there at all that is on the sea side. Outside the Bridge there is literally no parking at all that blocks anyone’s view.

5 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Then there’s no problem with it being pedestrianised…

But in the last few days the Bridge has been much, much, busier than the British despite the existence of the road. The whole argument is total rubbish. There is no parking blocking anything and the fact that part of the quay is closed is not generating any extra trade. The pubs have always been busy on hot bank holiday weekends and always will be whether the road stays closed or not. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Then there’s no problem with it being pedestrianised…

The Bridge today was busier than the British and that’s with the road existing and no parking blocking anyone’s view.

9 hours ago, BriT said:

But in the last few days the Bridge has been much, much, busier than the British despite the existence of the road. The whole argument is total rubbish. There is no parking blocking anything and the fact that part of the quay is closed is not generating any extra trade. The pubs have always been busy on hot bank holiday weekends and always will be whether the road stays closed or not. 

But why must traffic even go down that road apart from loading? There are only a handful of parking spaces anyway. Its about a minute longer to go round and over the bridge. Hardly a massive inconvenience.  I cant see what all the fuss is about. Close it all year round for me. The traffic spoils it. No doubt about it. We are out of time and out of step. 

• Thanks 1