Banning traffic from towns

Broadcasterman

10 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Traffic is business. Pedestrianise everything and you lose your business. Look at Castletown and Peel. Cars mean business and visitors to the town. They should have learnt this lesson years ago but it's the Isle of Man and nobody's listening. 

I agree with you in many situations pedestrianisation is not the best option. I think in this particular case it is though. What a fantastic area with so much potential ruined by a constant stream of noisy traffic. Traffic that doesn't need to go that way. The parking arguement doesn't stand up because there is hardly any anyway on that stretch. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Pedestrianise everything and you lose your business. Look at Castletown and Peel. Cars mean business and visitors to the town

Yet there’s always more people out and about when the square in Castletown is being used and enjoyed as a town square instead of being used as a car park. Especially as there’s only about eight spaces there anyway.

What pedestrianisation in Peel?

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Yet there’s always more people out and about when the square in Castletown is being used and enjoyed as a town square instead of being used as a car park. Especially as there’s only about eight spaces there anyway.

What pedestrianisation in Peel?

Castletown is another false argument. What they have done there is nice but it doesn’t add any extra trade to the town outside of the George of Coffee Craft where people will sit outside if it’s hot. Malew St and Arbory St remain totally (depressingly) dead and it doesn’t seem to make any difference to any of those shops trade at all. As with N Quay if it’s hot and it’s a holiday people like to sit outside pubs drinking. That’s it. They’re still going to go to the same pub (the George is almost the only family pub in central Castletown) whether the road is open or closed. A much better example is the Front Porch and Wine Down where there is now outside seating. Again both were rammed yesterday and why wouldn’t they be? A few people outside the British on a hot day has virtually nothing to do with the road being closed off with hideous barriers.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, BriT said:

Even the disabled are now kicking off. Looks like a right old mess just so that an empty stretch of road can be kept … largely empty 

7957EC2F-95E6-4C53-B913-C185C82817F6.jpeg

That bit of road isn’t included in the pedestrian area.  WTF are you on about.  It’s a completely separate issue because the guys at BC asked for a parking suspension on an open road

Edited by Ativa
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

But why must traffic even go down that road apart from loading? There are only a handful of parking spaces anyway. Its about a minute longer to go round and over the bridge. Hardly a massive inconvenience.  I cant see what all the fuss is about. Close it all year round for me. The traffic spoils it. No doubt about it. We are out of time and out of step. 

We waited the best part of 20 minutes while more than a dozen boats came through the bridge yesterday at 15:40

That’s a long time if you need to get somewhere.  

7 minutes ago, BriT said:

Oh I woke the angry troll again. You contribute nothing of any value to this forum at all you sad twat. 

Jesus.  Your post made no sense to me.  I asked for an explanation.

I then liked your next post because I agree with it.

Maybe I was a bit abrupt, probably because I think I am still half cut from a cracking night on the Quay with loads of other people that as you say was no different to loads of other nights down there over the years despite what some DBC members might be claiming.

The Bridge, The British and The Railway all packed and with decent entertainment.  Even if the Raikway was way too load for an old man like me.

Just to add.  The British is becoming a really good pub again.  I guess we only go in a couple of times a month and most of the staff now know exactly what we drink without having to ask. That is good and pretty rare customer service these days, and the food was good as well.

Chill your beans @BriT and enjoys the Bank Holiday weekend 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Ativa said:

We waited the best part of 20 minutes while more than a dozen boats came through the bridge yesterday at 15:40

That’s a long time if you need to get somewhere.  

With traffic backing up all the time behind you. The road past the Bridge pub takes pressure off the swing bridge and Lord Street roundabouts. It enables people visiting Tesco to head out of that area faster. Having a single route will soon have Tesco complaining of a drop in footfall.

You just can’t start doing pedestrianisation schemes without proper planning and changing the routes to allow better traffic flow. This councillor has suggested that Victoria Street should be pedestrian only. Good speech, without any proper planning or thought into the effects or how it will work! 

Edited by Max Power
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I agree with you in many situations pedestrianisation is not the best option. I think in this particular case it is though. What a fantastic area with so much potential ruined by a constant stream of noisy traffic. Traffic that doesn't need to go that way. The parking arguement doesn't stand up because there is hardly any anyway on that stretch. 

but there's a pizza place that does deliveries, not being able to pull up outside to pick up and wait for pickups won't help their business just so people can loiter on the 1/3rd of the width that is left that has been a public highway for decades if not centuries, it isn't like strand street which is basically a shopping precinct ( with the shops that are left anyway )  and of course the entrance to the car park for all the clinches flats/yard is along there too , how would you access the car park??

Edited by WTF