Banning traffic from towns

Broadcasterman

1 minute ago, WTF said:

but there's a pizza place that does deliveries, not being able to pull up outside to pick up and wait for pickups won't help their business just so people can loiter on the 1/3rd of the width that is left that has been a public highway for decades if not centuries, it isn't like strand street which is basically a shopping precinct ( with the shops that are left anyway ) 

But there isn't anyway to loiter is there, not without blocking the road. And for god's sake the car park at the yacht club must be all of 50m away. Jesus, are people born without legs these days!

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

But there isn't anyway to loiter is there, not without blocking the road. And for god's sake the car park at the yacht club must be all of 50m away. Jesus, are people born without legs these days!

the pavement is quite wide , and what are clinches supposed to do with their car park ??  residents and businesses  have paid for parking and it needs to be accessible. 

Just now, WTF said:

the pavement is quite wide , and what are clinches supposed to do with their car park ??  residents and businesses  have paid for parking and it needs to be accessible. 

I don't think the plan was ever to cut off the clinchies car park. That would be silly. Maybe pizziolo could have a pick up and turnround there. 

I get there are challenges but it seems that such a great area is wasted especially as the sun goes off the area close to the buildings so soon. Was it closed off yesterday? 

4 hours ago, Ativa said:

We waited the best part of 20 minutes while more than a dozen boats came through the bridge yesterday at 15:40

That’s a long time if you need to get somewhere.  

Superb trolling! 

It if it's not trolling then just adjust to TT like everyone else has to. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Dr Beeching said:

Superb trolling! 

It if it's not trolling then just adjust to TT like everyone else has to. 

How is it trolling FFS? Are you a bit thick?

Someone said close the North Quay and just send traffic over the bridge and add a minute to the journey.  I simply pointed out that yesterday that would have meant a more than 20 minutes detour.

No issue adjusting to the TT for me.  I love it and think the island would be a significantly worse place to live without it.

Edited by Ativa

5 hours ago, Broadcasterman said:

What they have done there is nice but it doesn’t add any extra trade to the town outside of the George of Coffee Craft where people will sit outside if it’s hot.

It makes the whole place nicer. It might add trade but it certainly doesn’t damage trade, so why not do it?

5 hours ago, Broadcasterman said:

A much better example is the Front Porch and Wine Down where there is now outside seating. Again both were rammed yesterday and why wouldn’t they be?

Two examples of businesses doing better by being able to expand out onto a pedestrianised street.

4 hours ago, Ativa said:

We waited the best part of 20 minutes while more than a dozen boats came through the bridge yesterday at 15:40

That will be the problem with closing the far end of the quay. Making Railway Hill two-way would sort that, but would cost a bit of money sorting the traffic lights out at the top.

Making the bit from Barbary to 14North is very easy though.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Max Power said:

With traffic backing up all the time behind you. The road past the Bridge pub takes pressure off the swing bridge and Lord Street roundabouts. It enables people visiting Tesco to head out of that area faster. Having a single route will soon have Tesco complaining of a drop in footfall.

You just can’t start doing pedestrianisation schemes without proper planning and changing the routes to allow better traffic flow. This councillor has suggested that Victoria Street should be pedestrian only. Good speech, without any proper planning or thought into the effects or how it will work! 

They would need to redesign that roundabout opposite island exhausts for one, it’s a horrible junction to use when coming from Tesco direction because drivers fly down the road without any intention of stopping.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

Two examples of businesses doing better by being able to expand out onto a pedestrianised street.

Duke Street has been closed to traffic for about 40 odd years. That’s hardly down to the popularity of the Front Porch now. In fact up until very recently DBC wouldn’t allow a bar or restaurant to use the frontage for seating for “health and safety” reasons. 

• Like 1

I was up at the Creg yesterday. Closing the road just outside seems to have suddenly resulted in a lot of people sitting out the front there too. Or is there some sort of motorbiking festival starting as I noticed a lot of them had helmets?

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Broadcasterman said:

Duke Street has been closed to traffic for about 40 odd years. That’s hardly down to the popularity of the Front Porch now.

Read what I said again.

I said the popularity of the Front Porch and Wine Down is not affected and/or actually increased by the pedestrianisation. Which you said was Bad For Business.

They should do the same outside the Rovers and let them have their benches back, too.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1