Regeneration of Peel

Moghrey Mie

Peel was a  gem of a place until the DOI , supported by the commissioners wrecked the market place and square, just a sea of silly lighting poles and artificial stone tactile paving leading to no where , and they have just done the same with the quayside , great  fake sandstone pavements  significant loss of parking and silly bright yellow hatching in what is supposed to be a major conservation area , 

Why does everywhere is the isle of man  need to loose its local identity and charm , only to be replaced by something that is more akin  to MIlton Keynes I just hope the plans for the water wall and feature in Michael street  get buried  otherwise we will loose all the  Manxness and  heritage attraction that was once Peel , 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7

Peel's "improved" quayside is an abomination. You watch, first they'll make it one way, then it will be pedestrianised. It's very nearly pedestrianised as it is.

If DOI has their way, there won't be a single working quayside/harbour left on the island, nor will there be anywhere to park.

Market Place - wasn't it sold as a "community space"? It gets used as such once a year, at Xmas. Complete waste of money and it looks totally out of keeping with the rest of the area. Another abomination. 

If the business owners on Michael Street have their way, none of the "wetlands" or other fanciful, impractical ideas will come to fruition. Didn't that plan get binned anyway, or was it just put on hold due to covid or some such excuse?

I'll be amazed if any good suggestions from residents are used. So far they pretend to have consultations, then do what the hell they want regardless. Can't see this being any different. Saying that, I'll participate. I just won't get my hopes up or hold my breath.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Omobono said:

Peel was a  gem of a place until the DOI , supported by the commissioners wrecked the market place and square, just a sea of silly lighting poles and artificial stone tactile paving leading to no where , and they have just done the same with the quayside , great  fake sandstone pavements  significant loss of parking and silly bright yellow hatching in what is supposed to be a major conservation area , 

Why does everywhere is the isle of man  need to loose its local identity and charm , only to be replaced by something that is more akin  to MIlton Keynes I just hope the plans for the water wall and feature in Michael street  get buried  otherwise we will loose all the  Manxness and  heritage attraction that was once Peel , 

I think Market Square looks good

The old 'beauty' is on Google Maps if you want to reminisce:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/WfAwGAmpJJe7FGtF9

These streets were built before cars were ubiquitous so to say the car dumping ground is their 'traditional character ' is ridiculous.

🦀s against any development in my book.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Why are they knocking down a social housing estate that's only thirty years old ? Who built them ? Have reasons been given ?

What social housing are they planning to knock down? The only estate I can think of that was built 30 years ago is the one on the Ramsey road (that I can't for the life of me spell, but sounds like "reet ale-in")

I remember there was a bit of a controversy at the time about brick courses being laid too quickly, not allowing the mortar enough time to properly set before adding more height. Weren't they made to re-do it? 

I've not heard anything to about those houses being any more damp than anywhere else. 

Anyway, is there a link to back this up - or is there a man in the pub I need to see?

2 hours ago, Zarley said:

What social housing are they planning to knock down? The only estate I can think of that was built 30 years ago is the one on the Ramsey road (that I can't for the life of me spell, but sounds like "reet ale-in")

I remember there was a bit of a controversy at the time about brick courses being laid too quickly, not allowing the mortar enough time to properly set before adding more height. Weren't they made to re-do it? 

I've not heard anything to about those houses being any more damp than anywhere else. 

Anyway, is there a link to back this up - or is there a man in the pub I need to see?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/reayrt-aalin-housing-estate-could-be-demolished/

• Thanks 1

I would have thought a plan would have been to build replacement houses before demolishing the ones with faults surely a home with faults, although far from ideal, is preferable to having no home at all.    Thirty years is a very short life span who built these houses?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I would have thought a plan would have been to build replacement houses before demolishing the ones with faults surely a home with faults, although far from ideal, is preferable to having no home at all.    Thirty years is a very short life span who built these houses?

How many are involved?