Regeneration of Peel

Moghrey Mie

1 hour ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Sure there are plenty of drinking places already.

The young people need something to do.

By a bloke called Philip Quirk on facebook.  Why do posters here have to knock everything?

”I'm part of the team organising this and I'd just like to add some information to alleviate any miscommunication & rumours. Our concept is for the site to be free of charge to everyone, we're planning a full children's activation zone which will cater to different age children, this will especially come alive at the weekend with a philosophy that, we want there to be so much for kids to do they won't want to look at their phones. It will finish before 10pm and the sound will be monitored & recorded hourly. The music will be laid back Cafe Mambo / Cafe Del Mar style with occasional live music, also laid back/acoustic. Our hope is to attract more inter-island tourism to Peel which we believe will benefit existing businesses via increased footfall that might not happen otherwise. CCTV will be set up to protect the site and surrounding area and prevent vandalism.”

• Like 1

Cafe Mambo/Del Mar in Peel, in September. Yeah that sounds like a great idea. 

🤨

They submitted this a week ago. Planning apps take months. Then they've got licensing. I'd be staggered if this gets through in time let alone approved. Left way too late.

Edited by jackwhite

8 hours ago, finlo said:

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to work out who threw them up!

One of the Peel Commissioners has stated on FB that there's nothing actually structurally wrong with then, I'll try and find it.

The biggest difference is the visual state of them compared with the similar private properties immediately adjacent. That boils down to the Commissioners themselves in neither maintaining them nor enforcing tenant-level maintenance.

Screenshot_20230606-073539_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20230606-073620_Facebook.jpg

Edited by Non-Believer
Add screenshots

19 minutes ago, finlo said:

I stand to be corrected but I don't think these houses were built as council housing didn't the commissioners take a percentage of them on as the builder struggled to sell them at the time?

No, they were meant to be commissioners houses. First, Dandara took the piss cutting corners, then Peel commissioners didn't bother much with maintenance, so now we're where we are. In a mess.

7 minutes ago, Zarley said:

No, they were meant to be commissioners houses. First, Dandara took the piss cutting corners, then Peel commissioners didn't bother much with maintenance, so now we're where we are. In a mess.

But did DD take the piss or were they built "down to a price" for the previous commissioners' spec? Some people in LAs have remarkably short memories and an equally short accountability span too...

6 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Good job they had a 20 year NHBC warranty then?. 😁 Funny how government housing around the island built in the late 40's and 50's is still going strong 70 years later. Dread to think what we'll be facing in 30-40 years on whats been thrown up now. 

• Like 2

Just now, Non-Believer said:

But did DD take the piss or were they built "down to a price" for the previous commissioners' spec? Some people in LAs have remarkably short memories and an equally short accountability span too...

I remember one controversy surrounding the build - it was to do with brick courses being laid too quickly and also with substandard mortar. Unfortunately I can't remember if they were made to remedy the situation or if they did, if it was done to industry standards or just another bodge job.