Illegal Number Plates

FCMR

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
and the point to this thread is???

The point is that to many are driving arround with plates that cant be made out, and as for the three legs and GBM sticker I think that only applies if you take you car/bike of the island.

Black plates with silver brush type xxxx me off, thats why I had to catch the idiot up the other night so I could take his number

Black plates with silver brush type xxxx me off, thats why I had to catch the idiot up the other night so I could take his number

I have black plates on my car as I thought they simply look better on an old Merc. As my car was built before 1989, I was told that it's legal and I had a new one's made (at a shocking price...)

I'm still surprised to see so many tuned-up cat loos speed around town with black plates on them, though, all looking as if they were built after 1989 - I wonder how they got the plates.

I can never see the point in having a "cherished " government number plate for my vehicle. I just think some people have a lot of money to waste when I see them. So what if you only have two numbers on a plate? WOW! I do suggest it would be a good way of collecting cash for the Treasury if the Government sold plates like BATMAN and other such daft names ending in MAN for large sums of money or auction them. It would be a good way of taxing the rich and stupid. Can you suggest some plates for the characters on this forum?

Well, I simply wanted a plate with 230 on it, as my car is a Mercedes 230 - but if I had known how much it costs me in the end, I probably wouldn't have done it. Looks good, though, and I like it - just see it as "Individualism" in a time when most cars look the same..

Oh, and if they bring out plates like the one above, then there can be only one for my car:

GERMAN

The point is that to many are driving arround with plates that cant be made out, and as for the three legs and GBM sticker I think that only applies if you take you car/bike of the island.

The other point you forgot to make was "that plate of yours is illegal" take it into any police station and they'll tell you......................

The point I'd like to make is that most of the unreadable plates are on bikes from across and the local police don't seem to worry about them.

I do not recall any German plates being modified. Perhaps Amadeus could tell us about die Nummernschilden. I understand that the cities and towns issue plates and these have to be surrendered when you move out of the area, then the car reregistered in the new town. I think modified plates would soon attract a tug by the law there.

GERMAN is a good choice!

The thing I can't understand is why the Government seem to stipulate the MAN or MN has to be in the number.

Is this because it shows it's a Manx plate or what?

As you are supposed to have a GBM sticker on the vehicle if you go of Island, what differance does it make?

They could make alot off money, which they need atm, if they let you have your own plate, as long as you can read it, but then it seems they're getting geared up for a big kill on plates.

What differance does it make what year it was made?

So that means the new cameras can only do you after a certain year?

I do not recall any German plates being modified. Perhaps Amadeus could tell us about die Nummernschilden. I understand that the cities and towns issue plates and these have to be surrendered when you move out of the area, then the car reregistered in the new town. I think modified plates would soon attract a tug by the law there.

GERMAN is a good choice!

Your car will indeed have to be registered in the town where you live and modifications or cherished numbers as you see them over here are virtually unknown and simply not allowed back home. If you are caught tempering with your plate, then you're in serious trouble and your wallet will be a lot lighter afterwards - if you thought the average German didn't know the meaning of the word "Humour", then wait until you meet one of our traffic cops...

The current plates both have to be white with black writing, whereby the font is strictly limited to the so-called "FE-Schrift", a font that apparently is hard to alter (in case you want to change a P into an R and so on..)

Plates are allowed to be max. 520 mm wide and 110 mm high if they only display one line of letters and numbers (e.g. on a car) and 255mm wide and 150 mm high with two lines (e.g. on a bike).

All letters and numbers have to be 75 mm high and letters are 47,5 mm wide, numbers 44,5 mm. Even the distance between them is given by law..

On the new plates, the left bit has to display the EU sign and the country sign - EU stars on top, your individual country sign below (D - Germany, A - Austria, etc..)

The two stamps in the middle show:

a: where the car was registered (and that the applicable fees were paid - that's the bottom one on front and rear plates)

b: when the last MOT was carried out (top one on the rear) and when the next emission test is due (top one on the front)

The first one to three letters on the plate tell you where the car is from, e.g. B stands for Berlin, KA for Karlsruhe, BAD for Baden-Baden, etc..

The middle letters are called the "identifying letters" and you can actually somewhat choose them. Basically, if your name is John Smith, then you could ask if the letters JS are available - if they are, then you can have them without any additional cost.

The last bit is a series of numbers, everything from 1 to 9999 and is basically pretty random - small countys tend to have lower numbers (simply because there aren't many cars registered), whereby cities like Berlin have loads of 4 digit numbers. You can also choose this number to a certain extend - if it's in the list, you can have it - if not, don't even ask...

So the owner of the plate below lives in Karlsruhe, might be called Peter Anders and 7 seems to be his lucky number - who said we're bureaucratic back home? :)

post-1086-1125647302_thumb.jpg

This is a fantastic thread.

FCMR gets all hot and bothered about other people's number plates possibly being (shock, horror!) illegal, proudly shows us all his own legal plates as a shining example to the world, which turn out to be about as legal as a 13 year old's gash.

classic!

Archived