Illegal Number Plates

FCMR

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lieralis,

You are mistaken; our vehicle licensing and the DVLA are totally separate

The DVLA has nothing to do with vehicle licensing on the Island as it’s a separate jurisdiction.

Fair enough, but if the DVLA is not involved, why does it say this at the bottom of the page ?

DVLA Map

or again using the word "Reserved"

Although the Isle of Man is part of the British Isles, it effectively has its own 'Government' and vehicle registration system.

Consequently, registration marks either bearing the three letter combination 'MAN' or which contain the ending 'MN' are exclusively reserved for vehicles kept on the island.

Seems to me that the current clampdown on illegal plates is a first step towards the island getting gatso's.

I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember a change being made in Manx law recently, which would make provision for such speed cameras to be legalised. As much as I am not in favour of GATSO’s it looks likely that they are on their way. :angry:

I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember a change being made in Manx law recently, which would make provision for such speed cameras to be legalised. As much as I am not in favour of GATSO’s it looks likely that they are on their way. :angry:

I'm pretty sure I saw something about a red light camera being installed on Woodburne Road in the coming weeks, so cameras seem to be on their way..

Think it was in the paper the other week - anyone got other sources for that?

One thing's for sure: Where there's one camera, there'll soon be more...

I'm pretty sure I saw something about a red light camera being installed on Woodburne Road in the coming weeks, so cameras seem to be on their way..

Think it was in the paper the other week - anyone got other sources for that?

One thing's for sure: Where there's one camera, there'll soon be more...

You are starting to sound more Manx all the time! :D

Fair enough, but if the DVLA is not involved, why does it say this at the bottom of the page ?

DVLA Map

or again using the word "Reserved"

Although the Isle of Man is part of the British Isles, it effectively has its own 'Government' and vehicle registration system.

Consequently, registration marks either bearing the three letter combination 'MAN' or which contain the ending 'MN' are exclusively reserved for vehicles kept on the island.

That's really bad wording by the DVLA. The British Isles has nothing to do with the situation as the DVLA is only responsible for the UK. Ireland is also part of the British Isles.

Nonetheless today, because the "British Isles" includes the whole of Ireland, as well as three crown dependencies which are not a part of the United Kingdom, the term is considered an anachronism by some, or a source of potential confusion or offence.

I'm convinced that some UK Government departments are clueless as to where their jurisdiction stops. At one time at work I was getting bombarded with info and directives form many different UK Govt departments and it took me some time to get off their mail lists

Just read what I wrote earlier, I wasn't saying that the DVLA has any control of what the IOM do, I was just saying that I think they allot (sp?) certain reg numbers for the manx government to do what they want with.

I know :D

I was commenting that the reason they say that they have no control is badly worded

Archived