Manx Radio Losing Money

TheTool

TAKEN FROM THE MANX RADIO WEBSITE

Manx Radio’s audited financial accounts have been passed to Tynwald.

Results for the year ending March 2005, shows the company has made a loss on ordinary activities, before taxation in the year to March, of £230,000, which adds to the losses of the previous year.

It means the station is over £400,000 in debt, however the company did receive £300,000 in the previous year as share capital.

The station says it has invested money into extra resources, such as news, current affairs, sports, community, and special events programming just as the Darwin report had envisaged.

The station is now on target to show a profit at the year-end.

Isnt it time manx radio got rid of some of the overheads that it has to be able to make a profit.

These prats are saying they are making a loss year in year out, if this was a private company they would have to stop trading.

Also they are grumping that there is 3 major stations on the island and it is affecting there operation.

Here is a simple way of manx radio making money, reduce your labour costs and also lower youre advertising because the others are cheaper.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure of the history of Manx Radio but can someone explain why we don't have a local BBC radio station like Jersey and Guernsey? We do pay our licence fee too. Surely it would make more sense to stop funding the white elephant that is MR and get the BBC to fulfill some of their local commitments?

depends whether or not they own the site though.....

if they relocate they are only headed in one direction though, down which is co-incidentally the same direction as their profitability and their listener figures..... :lol

Not sure of the history of Manx Radio but can someone explain why we don't have a local BBC radio station like Jersey and Guernsey? We do pay our licence fee too. Surely it would make more sense to stop funding the white elephant that is MR and get the BBC to fulfill some of their local commitments?

From what I have heard Manx Radio is still the most listened to station. It is funded by the Government because it offers a service to the island, Gaelic programs and local news which it does better than other stations. A BBC station would not provide the same level of quality and we would have less influence upon it. Also was Manx Radio not the first commercial station in the British Isles? Something with a "first" like this should be maintained.

i am sure if the other stations got government funding they would not have a problem producing Gaelic programs and local news.

After all the only thing that stops them is funding and instead of manx radio getting all the cream £750.000 a year i might add, so no wonder there is a few fat cats in the manx radio clan

The words Horse, Dead and flogging spring to mind here.

It is time we got value for our money not funding a white elephant.

How is it 3fm and energy fm can operate with no government funding and manx radio cannot.

The gang of six need to go

This woman here knew the manx radio barrel has a few rotten apples

post-608-1125707095_thumb.jpg

i am sure if the other stations got government funding they would not have a problem producing Gaelic programs and local news.

After all the only thing that stops them is funding and instead of manx radio getting all the cream £750.000 a year i might add, so no wonder there is a few fat cats in the manx radio clan

I don't think the other stations are the least bit interested in producing Gaelic programmes and local news. They tend to cater for an audience that has very little interest in either. 3fm and Energy, in my opinion, exist purely as commercial enterprises, whilst Manx Radio attempts to provide a service for the community. Whether it does it well enough to justify it's government funding may be a matter for debate, but to suggest that the others could, or would, do a better job given the opportunity is a complete nonsense.

It seems difficult to justify how a Govt funded station can be allowed to compete with two commercial enterprises for advertising revenue ?

Manx Radio should either be self supporting or Govt funded it should not be both, and if it is deemed to be wholly Govt funded then so be it.

The problem being that an entirely govt funded would inevitably have to toe the line in reporting the government's doings. Manx Radio may not report the local news to everyone's satisfaction, but at least it's commercial side does give it some independence to question the things that go wrong.

If that was removed we would be left dependent on IoM Newspapers - heaven help us!

It seems difficult to justify how a Govt funded station can be allowed to compete with two commercial enterprises for advertising revenue ?

Manx Radio was here well before either of the other two, so why should it have to justify anything simply because someone else decided to compete with them? Both owners of the other stations were well aware of the situation before they started up, I really don't see how the simple fact they've started up means Manx Radio should start having to justify "competing" or otherwise with them.

Nor do I see where people are coming from when they say the other two are being hard done by cos they don't receive funding! Load of rubbish, they knew the situation when they launched.

Of course their very existance will be detrimental to Manx Radio, there's only so much of a market for radio advertising and now it's split 3 ways.

you could ask, Mikes bodyland gym had an area by the sports hall for years, a boxing club had their area too, a slot car club rented the old bingo/arcade area out on the piazza level, Manx radio had a booth upstairs which they used for broadcasting occasionally, i rock wall climbing club rented out court 4 of the squash clubs.

As I said, just ask!

Archived