Manx Radio Losing Money

TheTool

Whilst Alex has a valid point and indeed Manx Radio was here first I am not happy that public money should be put into any business that is neither 'commercial' nor private. If my own business did not do too well, irrespective of whether I provide a public service or not, should I and other businessmen be able to go to Government and use public funds to bail us out ?

I am not a Manx Radio knocker per se, but the Govt has given permission for there to be three radio stations and that being the case the three should sink or swim on merit, and not on the generosity of the taxpayer.

Management is so much easier with a safety net !!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to see some serious points here as well as the Energy fan club. Manx Radio publishes it's finances for all to see - I wonder what we'd have to say about 3FM and Energy if their numbers and funding were open to such intense public scrutiny.

People seem bothered by the commercial/government subsidy bit. My understanding is that Manx Radio has always been part-funded by IOMG - it is, after all, owned by the PEOPLE of the Isle of Man. So there ARE no fat cats - just government employees, and from what I can gather on MUCH smaller salaries than equivalent positions within other Gov depts.

From the earliest days (if I read the '40 years' book properly) the station has been short of money. The public service broadcasting it does is VASTLY more expensive to produce than the automated jukebox shows the other stations are allowed to put out, and that sometimes I enjoy listening to.

The thing to remember about these new figures is that they refer to the year until last March - the year that 3FM launched and Energy decided to go for a much wider audience than their 'dance music' remit. Manx Radio has responded to those issues by cutting costs, IS now trading profitably and by next March will be showing that. If it ever makes significant profits, they go back to IOMG anyway! So you should WANT them to do well!

They could probably stop ALL the local news, public service, sport, community and minority interest programming tomorrow, become another top-40 jukebox station and tell the Government to stick the subsidy.

I for one don't think that's what Manx people want or deserve.

Final point - without Manx Radio there probably wouldn't BE Energy or 3FM - that's where their management and many of their staff learned the ropes!

you could ask, Mikes bodyland gym had an area by the sports hall for years, a boxing club had their area too, a slot car club rented the old bingo/arcade area out on the piazza level, Manx radio had a booth upstairs which they used for broadcasting occasionally, i rock wall climbing club rented out court 4 of the squash clubs.

As I said, just ask!

so one hat asks the questions, and the other hat supplies the answers :ph34r:

Not that I'm posting on MF any more...and I'm certainly not responding to some of the nonsense posted in this thread...

...but I'm looking forward to interviewing the man behind 'the Darwin Report' on Mandate on Monday at around 0810.

This was the blueprint for broadcasting in the Isle of Man, costs a lot of taxpayers money, and was agreed on by Tynwald as the way forward. In return for increased public funding, Manx Radio has adopted EVERY ONE of the recommendations.

I wonder if the current situation - three stations going after the same audience (and advertisers!) - is what Darwin recommended. As it's a live interview, I can only guess at his responses, and I'll be as interested in his conclusions as you probably are!

Not that I'm posting on MF any more...and I'm certainly not responding to some of the nonsense posted in this thread...

...but I'm looking forward to interviewing the man behind 'the Darwin Report' on Mandate on Monday at around 0810.

This was the blueprint for broadcasting in the Isle of Man, costs a lot of taxpayers money, and was agreed on by Tynwald as the way forward. In return for increased public funding, Manx Radio has adopted EVERY ONE of the recommendations.

I wonder if the current situation - three stations going after the same audience (and advertisers!) - is what Darwin recommended. As it's a live interview, I can only guess at his responses, and I'll be as interested in his conclusions as you probably are!

WOW you're a Manx Radio dude? How great to have a comment from someone in some way in the know. The majority of comments expressed (that I've seen) are supportive of the nation's station but are worried about its future. You should post again...

Well manx radio is not the only government funded media, look at the newspapers they get around £800.000 a year for the avertising of government garbage.

The only reason energy and 3fm don't do programs on manx culture is their listeners would probably switch off lol.

Manx Radio does have its place but i personally want to see it is value for money.

I prefer MR than Energy or 3FM, just I find the manx accent annoying to listen to.

It's also a good outlet for public service announcements and the likes, the only thing that gets me is when the government get MR to post announcements (like having used to listen to the radio in the morning to find if schools were shut) and not giving another way of easily getting the information.

So tempus, if we're both hats, whats a hat? I just found your comment a bit strange, asking why a radio station once had a base in a government building. I'm sure it was a great idea for both parties involved, Energy needed a base and it was something that was getting people into summerland for a nose. gimmicky but good thinking. My kids used to want me to take them there so they could look through the window and go to manxland.

I'm sure they paid rent etc so i don't see the problem

So tempus, if we're both hats, whats a hat? I just found your comment a bit strange, asking why a radio station once had a base in a government building. I'm sure it was a great idea for both parties involved, Energy needed a base and it was something that was getting people into summerland for a nose. gimmicky but good thinking. My kids used to want me to take them there so they could look through the window and go to manxland.

I'm sure they paid rent etc so i don't see the problem

To be fair, Manx Radio did a similar thing years ago when their studio was next to an aquarium - and as visitors went round the aquatic displays, they suddenly came to one through which you watch MR broadcasting.

I prefer MR than Energy or 3FM, just I find the manx accent annoying to listen to.

Well typical really from most of these ex uk residents come over take over.

Nothing wrong with a manx accent beats listening to some pompus pudding moaning on and on and on.

If you don't like it why comeover and settle bit like the people who move to france and moan about nobody speaking english haha ignorance is bliss my friend :rolleyes:

Well typical really from most of these ex uk residents come over take over.

Nothing wrong with a manx accent beats listening to some pompus pudding moaning on and on and on.

If you don't like it why comeover and settle bit like the people who move to france and moan about nobody speaking english haha ignorance is bliss my friend :rolleyes:

That's a little bit harsh. Every part of the British Isles has an individual local accent and, depending on where you originate from, and the voice of the speaker, some sound pleasant, some unpleasant and some are virtually indecipherable!

Being Manx, I usually (but not always!) find the local accent enjoyable, particularly when it's used for story telling.

It's the Prince Charles, teeth-superglued-together kind of accent that I find abominable.

Archived