Going metric-50 years later

Moghrey Mie

55 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes I think the French ( and other nationalities)  should try to protect their language from adopting English/American words ( As the English should resist the Americanisation of their language) In writing this I had to manually change the auto spelling from Americanization to Americanisation!

I am not too lazy to learn another language. Whilst I couldn’t claim in any way to be multilingual  I manage to get by in a few European countries with the local lingo.

With global business language how many languages are there in the world?

Between 5,000 and 7,000 languages apparently. ( as opposed to just metric and imperial measurements)

So it’s clearly impractical to learn that number of languages. So you’ve got to have one. English is the global business language for largely historical reasons and is the most popular language in the world. So it kind of makes sense

How much of the English language stems from French and other languages...  Restaurant,  Cafe, Delegate etc.

If it makes sense to use one language for business then it makes sense to use one clearly understood form of measurement.  That is metric.

33 minutes ago, John Wright said:

So, with your pride in your culture, and not wishing to be assimilated, how’s your Manx, and what are your views on Manx language classes all the way through primary, junior and secondary education?

Problem is he isn't Manx.  He is a "stop-over" with no apparent interest of integrating.

Probably should be stuck on a boat and sent back.

On 6/5/2023 at 9:21 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

Everyone knows that a mile is 1,760 yards. What is so difficult about that?

I didn't know that. I think of it as about 1600 metres. 

We were never taught imperial measurements in the 70's and 80's but the adults around us continued to use them in speech. So for measuring things I use metric, but for visualising stuff it's a hybrid. 

I know how far a mile is, a 100 metre race, a 6ft man, a 12" ruler, I can picture what a kilo of sugar, a 12 stone person, 2 oz of sweets, a pint of beer  and 2 litres of milk. It doesn't matter, it's a minor issue when I'm given a measurement in a system I don't have a visualisation for (such as when the doc tells me my weight in Kilos) but that's an easy conversion. 

I don't think with speed it is that important since it's not something you need to visualise - you need to measure it and figure out how fast your going relative to the limit. And you need that detail in real time. So the measurement and the signs need to match to avoid the need for calculation but what that measurement is doesn't matter. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

How much of the English language stems from French and other languages...  Restaurant,  Cafe, Delegate etc.

If it makes sense to use one language for business then it makes sense to use one clearly understood form of measurement.  That is metric.

Problem is he isn't Manx.  He is a "stop-over" with no apparent interest of integrating.

Probably should be stuck on a boat and sent back.

If we had residency rules we could insist on anyone arriving here having to take an induction course in Manx history, culture, language. A two week induction immersion course at the college. Could be made a condition of work permit. Course to be completed within six months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, John Wright said:

If we had residency rules we could insist on anyone arriving here having to take an induction course in Manx history, culture, language. A two week induction immersion course at the college. Could be made a condition of work permit. Course to be completed within six months.

Would there be a test/exam?

16 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Hark at Nigel Farage!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

The exact opposite

A condition of residency is that they attend an national indoctrination course? Do you want them to pledge allegiance to Tynwald, TE Brown and the TT too?

9 minutes ago, Declan said:

A condition of residency is that they attend a national indoctrination course? Do you want them to pledge allegiance to Tynwald, TE Brown and the TT too?

You can interpret as you want. Farage wouldn’t want them, whoever them is, here. I think it’s wholly valid to learn, and have to learn about the culture, history, politics, and language of where you choose to live. That, and having courses available, freely and regularly, isn’t indoctrination. It’s not cultural assimilation. It’s helping highlight, and preserve, Manx identity and culture.

• Like 2

It's a worthy aspiration for an incomer to have and I would support the Tech having a Introduction to Manx Culture course but not making it compulsory. That rather runs counter to Manx values and indeed the values of all this archipelago. We're not French!

I still use imperial for MPH, MPG, body weight and height. Pretty much everything else has been metric for many years.

Imperial vs. metric is often debated on American and Canadian woodworkers sites where they can work to four different fractions at the small end of the scale! I can't imagine what a 64th looks like but I know what a millimetre is. However, this is what they are 'used to'.

An interesting argument they use is that the 12in,/foot lends itself better to the 'rule of thirds', used in Art and design to achieve a brain pleasing balance, 12in. can be divided by 3, 10cm cannot. However, in woodworking half a mil tolerance is fine, so in a 40cm cabinet, 13 depth is fine!!!

I guess it boils down to what you are used to? I've never made any attempt to convert my weight into kilos!

Is it kilo metres or kolom etres???? Is it meters or metres??? Now there's another argument!

Edited by Kopek
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Kopek said:

I still use imperial for MPH, MPG, body weight and height. Pretty much everything else has been metric for many years.

Imperial vs. metric is often debated on American and Canadian woodworkers sites where they can work to four different fractions at the small end of the scale! I can't imagine what a 64th looks like but I know what a millimetre is. However, this is what they are 'used to'.

An interesting argument they use is that the 12in,/foot lends itself better to the 'rule of thirds', used in Art and design to achieve a brain pleasing balance, 12in. can be divided by 3, 10cm cannot. However, in woodworking half a mil tolerance is fine, so in a 40cm cabinet, 13 depth is fine!!!

I guess it boils down to what you are used to? I've never made any attempt to convert my weight into kilos!

Is it kilo metres or kolom etres???? Is it meters or metres??? Now there's another argument!

+1

4 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

I’m intrigued as to how you come to that conclusion. Short of becoming a fluent speaker of the Manx language or taking Manx dancing classes I can’t really see how I could have done any more to integrate/assimilate any more than I have done in the 40 years plus I have been here.

I have been involved in many Manx institutions and a couple of charities and always praise the place and promote it to my friends and relatives across.

I would be grateful for an explanation for your statement.

As for JW I know he likes to paint me as some sort of little Englander, myopic person ( probably because I had the nerve to support Brexit)

This is simply not true

Water off a ducks back

5 hours ago, wrighty said:

I disagree.  Languages constantly evolve and adopt new words while others fall out of usage.  Artificially protecting/defining won't work.

Well yes they do and I understand that but when I hear the terms like “ reach out” and “ gotten” etc it just grates on me.

Maybe it’s just me. Old dog new tricks etc

16 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

As for JW I know he likes to paint me as some sort of little Englande

I think it’s the first time, this week. But there we go.

16 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

This is simply not true

The content you post is strong proof to the contrary.

14 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

“ reach out” and “ gotten”

Reach out is perfectly acceptable British English. Gotten is old fashioned English and still current regionally. It’s RP English that has changed, not American English.

You swerved my question about Manx, and, by analogy, UK regional accents, Welsh, Cornish and Gaelic ( Irish & Scots ).