Going metric-50 years later

Moghrey Mie

9 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You swerved my question about Manx, and, by analogy, UK regional accents, Welsh, Cornish and Gaelic ( Irish & Scots ).

I don’t recall any question from you re the Manx and other accents. 
Sorry if I missed it.

Could you repost?

Thanks

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Slight change to first paragraph

Poor grammar, on here or Manx radios copy writers, can often make it difficult to instantly get their intended meaning? Often requiring re-reading.

As for language 'evolving', these days it is not so much of an evolution as an overnight change due to social media influence. After mid-atlantic, glottal stops, Valley Girl and Aussie inflection we now have young American women running out of breath as they talk??? Gwyneth Paltrow does and she's not even American!!!

Yes, a slow change from Olde English to modern has come to be but to name your daughter Sharlyne? Did they not know how to spell it???

OK for a Hairdresser though!!!

On 6/5/2023 at 9:48 PM, John Wright said:

That’s just silly. Using km won’t have that effect at all. Because I do travel widely I know that using kg, or km, or euros doesn’t make countries indistinguishable nor does it merge cultures. 

I know that too.
It would have been silly if that’s what I actually said.

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I know that too.
It would have been silly if that’s what I actually said.

With respect, it’s exactly what you said. it’s the only meaning that can be attributed to the post you made.

https://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/70860-going-metric-50-years-later/&do=findComment&comment=1713377

• Like 1

Some time ago I read the book on the aircraft incident known as the Gimli Glider. This is a quote from the Wikipedia, much abbreviated, article:

"After taking a dripstick measurement, Pearson converted the reading from centimetres to litres to kilograms, but he did his calculation with the density figure for jet fuel in pounds/litre from the Air Canada refueler's slip, used for all other aircraft in the fleet, instead of kilograms/litre for the all-metric 767 aircraft, which was new to the fleet"

18 minutes ago, John Wright said:

With respect, it’s exactly what you said. it’s the only meaning that can be attributed to the post you made.

https://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/70860-going-metric-50-years-later/&do=findComment&comment=1713377

Well clicking on that link takes me to page 3 of this thread. I’ve been through that again to see if any entries on that page justifies what you’re saying and can’t find any.

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well clicking on that link takes me to page 3 of this thread. I’ve been through that again to see if any entries on that page justifies what you’re saying and can’t find any.

It takes you to your post on page 3, posted 7.44 pm and amended at 7.45.

39 minutes ago, John Wright said:

American, yes. Canadian, haven’t they gone metric?

Kms and Kgs yes but in trad cabinet making it would appear not!

Perhaps UTubers appealing to their wider American audience???

......but again, it's what they are used to.

13 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It takes you to your post on page 3, posted 7.44 pm and amended at 7.45.

Well it took me to page 3 in its entirety and looking at my post of that time on that page still doesn’t justify what you’re saying. It may be the meaning that you attribute to my post but not one that most people would.

How are you getting on finding the “ Manx” regional ( and other) accents posting.?

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Deletion of “the” in the last sentence and addition of last para