Going metric-50 years later

Moghrey Mie

On 6/7/2023 at 9:14 PM, Two-lane said:

Some time ago I read the book on the aircraft incident known as the Gimli Glider. This is a quote from the Wikipedia, much abbreviated, article:

"After taking a dripstick measurement, Pearson converted the reading from centimetres to litres to kilograms, but he did his calculation with the density figure for jet fuel in pounds/litre from the Air Canada refueler's slip, used for all other aircraft in the fleet, instead of kilograms/litre for the all-metric 767 aircraft, which was new to the fleet"

You've just reminded me of yet another advantage of the metric system.

A litre of water weighs one kilogram - a millilitre weighs one gram - the simplicity continues.

I wonder how much a quart or a fluid ounce of water weighs? 

ETA Just googled it, a fluid ounce of water weighs one ounce, unless it's an American fluid ounce and then it doesn't. A gallon of water weighs 8.34lbs or 8lbs and fuck know ounces. You can see how it's so easy to get in a mess with this ancient, good for nothing system!

Edited by A fool and his money.....

6 minutes ago, finlo said:

Wasn't there a balls up with the docking system on the ISS due to the whole metric/imperial bollocks?

I think most scientist and engineers, even the American ones, saw sense many years ago and went metric. If you buy an American car (why would you?) it'll have all metric nuts and bolts.

Anyone who uses Imperial units anywhere near space needs lining up and shooting.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, finlo said:

Wasn't there a balls up with the docking system on the ISS due to the whole metric/imperial bollocks?

There was that British Mars lander which had its approach altitudes confused between kilometers and miles at the time of programming and didn't, er, land...well not usably afterwards anyway, was it the Beagle?

On 6/5/2023 at 6:51 PM, Blade Runner said:

Having said that, last time I was over-  a couple of weeks ago - the state of the road signs looked like most needed replacing so it may be the time to do it?

Oh pur-lease!!! Talk about living in glass houses. I'm not denying that some need replacing, and more than a few need vegetation trimming back because they are invisible, but as far as road and signage maintenance goes things are far, far worse around the UK. You do live there don't you?

I drive extensively over there very regularly, and the state of road markings and signage in general is shocking. Last month I encountered an area with lots of mini-roundabouts, but you wouldn't have known it. Lines at the entry points to the junctions and the centre spot completely worn away with just nothing to say it's a roundabout until somebody cuts across you. Not just feint, but totally gone in some cases. Hatched areas invisible through weathering, large signs on motorways and major roads with half missing, signs overgrown so neither use nor ornament. And that's without even starting on the state of the road surfaces themselves. Do us a favour!

16 minutes ago, Kopek said:

...........and that Wolley, is entirely down to the UK s imperial measurements!!!

Metric tyres scrubbing off the road markings!!! 😉

Of course it is!!! I never thought of that. I like it best when they mix the systems as in "2m of 2"x1" wood". Always raises a smile.

• Haha 1

...or the timber yard guys who insist on on calling a 2400 cm board as 8 ft!!!!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

I wonder why no-one has ever suggested we convert to metric speeds? Can you imagine the chaos... as most UK cars tend to have mph more prominent than kph.

219.4 kph lap record doesn't really mean much to me tbh.

TT Course would be 60.72 km with 33rd milestone becomeing 53rd kilostone?

And subway 'foot long' would become a 0.3m/30cm/300mm?

And yet 15cm is stil not as big as 6 inches

It'd be a good wheeze, like the Creamery converting 1 pint (568 ml) to 500ml at the same price.  

On 6/8/2023 at 11:25 PM, A fool and his money..... said:

You've just reminded me of yet another advantage of the metric system.

A litre of water weighs one kilogram - a millilitre weighs one gram - the simplicity continues.

I wonder how much a quart or a fluid ounce of water weighs? 

ETA Just googled it, a fluid ounce of water weighs one ounce, unless it's an American fluid ounce and then it doesn't. A gallon of water weighs 8.34lbs or 8lbs and fuck know ounces. You can see how it's so easy to get in a mess with this ancient, good for nothing system!

Actually, there is a saying.   A pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter. 
Therefore, a gallon weighs 10 pounds. But you Googled it, so it must be correct. An American gallon weighs just over 8 pounds (3.8 litres). 

Also a litre of water weighing a kilogram is dependent upon temperature. 

I actually like it the way it is. They are two systems that complement each other well. 3 metres is 10 feet. Simple. 28C is 82F. Simple. 

Edited by Cambon
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

Also a litre of water weighing a kilogram is dependent upon temperature. 

As is a pint of water weighing a pound and a quarter no doubt. 

You're right, what I googled may well be wrong - inconsistency is one of the many problems with the Imperial system.

I had never heard of your other conversions but they are catchy, I'll give you that.

I do have sympathy with people who have grown up with the old system and learnt all the simple tricks and sometimes staggeringly complex maths which goes into working with them, I admire your knowledge.

As someone who has worked in a job which has through technological development become (I believe) much easier over the years, I too delight in being able to do "old school" things that makes my younger counterparts minds boggle, and I'll admit that sometimes I'll continue to use old techniques just because I can - although only because I can see a benefit in them (which there invariably is in techniques not developed when time and money were the only considerations). Who knows, if I were brought up in pre metrification time I may feel the same about imperial units? I doubt it though.

Nobody has yet managed to give me any other reason for using imperial units over metric other than it is what they are used to. As far as I can tell the metric system is better in every respect - I can not fathom (haha) why anyone would still choose to use imperial units other than stubbornness, not wanting to waste their existing knowledge (I have sympathy with this one), apprehension or laziness at the thought of something new or misguided patriotism. None are good reasons to ignore an infinitely superior system. 

22 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

I wonder why no-one has ever suggested we convert to metric speeds? Can you imagine the chaos... as most UK cars tend to have mph more prominent than kph.

219.4 kph lap record doesn't really mean much to me tbh.

TT Course would be 60.72 km with 33rd milestone becomeing 53rd kilostone?

And subway 'foot long' would become a 0.3m/30cm/300mm?

And yet 15cm is stil not as big as 6 inches

It'd be a good wheeze, like the Creamery converting 1 pint (568 ml) to 500ml at the same price.  

Maybe switch the whole country to driving on the right at the same time, as Sweden did in the 60s! 

As for measurements, I'm still getting a good few rods to the hogshead out of my car!

Edited by Max Power
  • Haha 1