Going metric-50 years later

Moghrey Mie

I think the switch to KPH would be the most difficult, despite the inner scale on our speedometers?

Who looks at it except when driving in Europe? Even metric users still use MPH?

I think that most people would recognise 30cms as a foot because of the rulers we use but converting that to metres to measure a room would be difficult.

We'd get used to it in the end?

50 minutes ago, Kopek said:

I think the switch to KPH would be the most difficult, despite the inner scale on our speedometers?

I think that most people would recognise 30cms as a foot because of the rulers we use but converting that to metres to measure a room would be difficult.

Converting MPH to KPH is easy. In your head. You really only need to know the conversion for 4/5 speeds. 30/50/80/110/120 kph. If you stick to 20/30/50/75/75 mph you’ll be on the right side of not speeding.

You can get speedo overlays for about £1 anyway.

I’ve got a car out in Spain that originated as a KPH direct import from Japan to England, brought by me to IoM, Testing Centre insisted I put on an MPH overlay, now registered in Spain where they wouldn’t register without it being KPH.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

I’ve got a car out in Spain that originated as a KPH direct import from Japan to England, brought by me to IoM, Testing Centre insisted I put on an MPH overlay, now registered in Spain where they wouldn’t register without it being KPH.

I imported a car from Australia, originally in kph. An overlay wasn’t good enough - it had to be illuminated. So they fitted a device that divided the incoming ‘clicks’ to the speedo by 1.6, and changed ‘kph’ to ‘mph’. 

2 hours ago, Kopek said:

Steady on fella, we've only just switched to KFC

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Max Power said:

Maybe switch the whole country to driving on the right at the same time, as Sweden did in the 60s! 

As for measurements, I'm still getting a good few rods to the hogshead out of my car!

I was going to suggest that, as then you could buy a car anywhere in europe but I thought it was a bit too much. The imperial system is just so British (Yanks screwed it up in translation across the pond... gallons, billions etc.).

Always reminded of the fact/myth that the train gauge is based on the width of a horses ass (well 2 to be exact) which in turn lead to the shuttle boosters being the diameter they were.

• Like 1