How would you sell it?

Derek Flint

New job advertised on Jobtrain.

https://www.jobtrain.co.uk/iomgovjobs/Job/JobDetail?JobId=16749  - Senior Inward Investment Partner.

"The is an exciting position within Locate Isle of Man where the main purpose of the post is to attract, and support the inward migration of, high net worth (HNW) individuals, their families and businesses to the Isle of Man."

How would you go about selling the place to the good and the great right now?

Not an easy sell. The tax advantages are not that special, you can negotiate very similar in Switzerland and Lichtenstein, both of which have a superb quality of living, health care and infrastructure. It's not too difficult to organise your taxes in the UK to minimise inheritance & capital gains tax. 

I'd start by asking existing HNWIs why they live on the rock and what would make them want to leave.

I'm by no means a HNWI; the main reason I wouldn't return is lack of private health care and having to travel off-island for advanced cancer & similar treatments. As you get older this becomes increasingly important.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

https://www.jobtrain.co.uk/iomgovjobs/Job/JobDetail?JobId=16749  - Senior Inward Investment Partner.

"The is an exciting position within Locate Isle of Man where the main purpose of the post is to attract, and support the inward migration of, high net worth (HNW) individuals, their families and businesses to the Isle of Man."

But there are already two inward investment "Managers". Are they that inundated with inward migration that they can't cope? I really can't see that being the case.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

The Isle of Man is a Biosphere zone, this means you can fly here in your private jets and helicopters and look out window at the Manx peasants below while knowing that you fart net zero emissions.

We will use our nepotism and corruption to protect you and your assets. 

This includes access to our court system and guarantees that you will never be prosecuted for any crimes you commit.  The heads of our police force and courts will protect you, so please feel free to drink drive and break as many laws as you please.

We will instruct our nationalised copy and paste media stations, including Manx Radio; to not report on any crimes or controversies you are accused of commiting while in the UK. We previously protected Lingerie Lord and Lady as an example. 

isle of man. Where you can if you have money

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

The right person to do that job would not work for IOM Government because they’d already be doing the exact same thing for a family office or tax practice where if they are any good they would already be earning 5 x more than IOM Government would pay them. 

Or, as seems to be the case in my experience with the DED and Digital Isle guys, they only seem to stay in place for a year or so before then getting a job with the HNWs/Businesses they bring over.  Seems to actually be quite a good stepping stone for your career.  A lot of them seem to usually come from the industry, briefly into Govt and then back into industry again.  Read into that what you will. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

But there are already two inward investment "Managers". Are they that inundated with inward migration that they can't cope? I really can't see that being the case.

I know of at least one (small) Law Firm that now solely deals with immigration into the Isle. 

40 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

I'd start by asking existing HNWIs why they live on the rock and what would make them want to leave.

i would guess a few moved here during better times for them with less red tape , i imagine they are still here because  they aren't quite at the tipping point yet of governments BS and box ticking..

How would I sell it?

I will need a fully staffed office. I will need to travel to meet HNWI both in businesses and of course socially.

In order to give a good impression first class travel is essential.

It is necessary to ski at the top resorts in winter and to visit the Caribbean regularly.

(Which poitician/CS has retired or who has been booted out for this cushy job?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Appears to be another job creation for one of their mates...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, philwebs said:

How would I sell it?

I will need a fully staffed office. I will need to travel to meet HNWI both in businesses and of course socially.

In order to give a good impression first class travel is essential.

It is necessary to ski at the top resorts in winter and to visit the Caribbean regularly.

(Which poitician/CS has retired or who has been booted out for this cushy job?)

Do we still employ our EU "liason" officer in Brussels?