Lloyds Pharmacy

WTF

24 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Staying for now but you only have to look at the levels of stock on the shelves in any Lloyds to know they have problems.

You're not kidding. I went into he one in Ramsey yesterday and I thought they'd had a closing down sale. Not a thing on any of the shelves.It appears they are purely a prescription service now.

• Like 1

It was announced that they would be withdrawing from Sainsburys back in January, though they said it wouldn't affect the Shoprite branches.  But all branches are said to be at risk since they were taken over by a private equity company.  The problem here is that Lloyds have 10 out of the 23 community pharmacies (including all three in Ramsey), so if the chain collapses, there will be difficulties.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The problem here is that Lloyds have 10 out of the 23 community pharmacies (including all three in Ramsey), so if the chain collapses, there will be difficulties.

Something for public comment/statement from Manx Care?   DHSS (as was) must have agreed to give out licences to operate as a pharmacy to Lloyds at the time - they must have spotted the imbalance between Lloyds and the others - not a monopoly, but nearly half of the pharmacies on the island.

I presume that Manx Care have a pharmacy equivalent of the Medical Director - maybe this person needs to outline their plan if Lloyds collapses completely.   It’s not as if it hasn’t been flagged up as a possibility for some time.   Or maybe this person is banned from speaking to the public - or the minister…  (Ooh! Satire alert!)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

They've long had staffing problems in the three Ramsey branches too, sometimes only being able to staff and open one or two at any one time.

Why does a town the size of Ramsey need 3 branches of the same pharmacy?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wrighty said:

The same reason it needs two co-ops within 100 yards of each other, and two shoprites presumably.  They all moan about parking all the time despite there being an abundance of it so clearly don’t like to walk anywhere.

It would be a blessing for Ramsey if Lloyds ceased to be.  Despite there being three it is rarely possible to get in and out of any of them in less than 45 minutes as they are either closed or rammed.  Anything else would be an improvement 

Edited by Asthehills
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, wrighty said:

It’s a while since I lived in Ramsey: but I seem to remember that there were three (or maybe four) independently owned pharmacies.   Lloyds gradually bought them all out (owners wanting to retire, etc).   DHSS, as was, presumably had no problem granting three pharmacy licences to a single company, all the shops being within walking distance of each other.   Might have seemed fine at the time - but it’s come home to roost now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moghrey Mie said:

i heard of plan where prescriptions will be fulfilled in UK and then shipped over to the island ready for collection.

Maybe that's a way to cope with the lack of pharmacists.

They need to sort out the shortage of actual medications first . For around 9 months now there’s been an issue . My pharmacy staff are great but still sometimes give me short of amount till a week or so later. Never have I ran out but not sure how that would work if they came from across .

Edited by Numbnuts

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

I suppose its all down to keep the locals happy .

Many of the arrangements don't make sense and does not look like proper use of resources. 

As  far as I know there are clinics done at Ramsey by doctors from the hospital 

Surely they can see a few more patients at Nobles in the the time it takes to go to Ramsey and come back? 

Edited by mad_manx

30 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

i heard of plan where prescriptions will be fulfilled in UK and then shipped over to the island ready for collection.

Maybe that's a way to cope with the lack of pharmacists.

It's nowt to do with pharmacists per se. It's all about wringing as much profit out of the business model that works for them.... and that's wholesale and in-hospital pharmacies, that's where the money is.

I've travelled around a bit (not as much as others on here) but some of the places I have been to (especially during the latter part of the Soviet period and in the immediate aftermath of the collapse) and the only pharmacies you could find are those that dispense prescribed medication only. No fancy perfumes, soaps, quackery (and other stuff that's bad for you, sweets etc) you very often see in Lloyds (as an example), just a simple basic prescription service paid for by the dept of health. A lot of OTC stuff sold in pharmacies are available in supermarkets anyway, so all that's required for a pharmacy is a door with a couple of hatches with the rest of the property filled with proper stocks of medicine. The times I've gone to get my medication only to be told that "it's on back order and should be in tomorrow". 

• Like 5

Just now, Andy Onchan said:

It's nowt to do with pharmacists per se. It's all about wringing as much profit out of the business model that works for them.... and that's wholesale and in-hospital pharmacies, that's where the money is.

I've travelled around a bit (not as much as others on here) but some of the places I have been to (especially during the latter part of the Soviet period and in the immediate aftermath of the collapse) and the only pharmacies you could find are those that dispense prescribed medication only. No fancy perfumes, soaps, quackery (and other stuff that's bad for you, sweets etc) you very often see in Lloyds (as an example), just a simple basic prescription service paid for by the dept of health. A lot of OTC stuff sold in pharmacies are available in supermarkets anyway, so all that's required for a pharmacy is a door with a couple of hatches with the rest of the property filled with proper stocks of medicine. The times I've gone to get my medication only to be told that "it's on back order and should be in tomorrow". 

It's always better to go to the independent chemists  than the chain pharmacies.

• Like 3