Lloyds Pharmacy

WTF

1 hour ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Lloyds did to the island what ramsey bakery did to the isle of man, bought up up the small independent bakery's (a travesty in my own mind) then proceeded to consolidate the shops gradualy reducing the number to what we have. Have always gone to to the independents and ironically looks like that is going to be the only choice.  

It was a travesty. The whole thing was very underhand. They also targeted a lot of the older chemists, the ones with older pharmacists who were persuaded into early retirement. 

‎I remember, at the time, many of us stating that it felt like dodgy practice and that it could end in tears. 

We weren't wrong.

• Like 5

Not much different that what appears to have happened with a major car  sales and service outlet ,  probably received government money , quickly put all the smaller franchises  out of business ,  tried to to monopolise  the entire car sales market ,  and now sold out to a dutch company , it would be good to find out if any government money was put in  at the start   and following the onward  sale of the business , is it repayable ? 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Omobono said:

Not much different that what appears to have happened with a major car  sales and service outlet ,  probably received government money , quickly put all the smaller franchises  out of business ,  tried to to monopolise  the entire car sales market ,  and now sold out to a dutch company , it would be good to find out if any government money was put in  at the start   and following the onward  sale of the business , is it repayable ? 

Don't you pay half each when you go Dutch?

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, wrighty said:

Why does a town the size of Ramsey need 3 branches of the same pharmacy?

It obviously doesn't need three branches of the same one as recent events have shown.  But with 23 community pharmacies on the Island that's one for every 3,650 or so inhabitants, so 3 would cover about 11,000, which is roughly the population of Ramsey and the adjacent parishes.

The 23 are equivalent to around 27 per 100,000 inhabitants, which is around average for OECD countries:

image.thumb.png.a3805b9718fc3678fd2fb10a1262d93f.png

though a bit higher than the UK.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

Precisely.   Three pharmacies is fine for Ramsey: three branches of Lloyds and no alternatives - not so much.

it looks like it will 0 branches of lloyds in the coming months so hopefully someone will step up

15 minutes ago, WTF said:

it looks like it will 0 branches of lloyds in the coming months so hopefully someone will step up

Is there money to be made in this...Aren't they expected to charge a fixed price per medication. Since I assume that most of the medications will cost more than what we pay ,  do they charge the extra to manxcare ? 

4 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It obviously doesn't need three branches of the same one as recent events have shown.  But with 23 community pharmacies on the Island that's one for every 3,650 or so inhabitants, so 3 would cover about 11,000, which is roughly the population of Ramsey and the adjacent parishes.

The 23 are equivalent to around 27 per 100,000 inhabitants, which is around average for OECD countries:

image.thumb.png.a3805b9718fc3678fd2fb10a1262d93f.png

though a bit higher than the UK.

I would have thought it would be higher for France, they seem to be every other store with their funky green illuminated cross.  I wouldn't have thought Greece would be such a sickly nation either. 

44 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Is there money to be made in this...Aren't they expected to charge a fixed price per medication. Since I assume that most of the medications will cost more than what we pay ,  do they charge the extra to manxcare ? 

I remember speaking to a Pharmacist along these lines (who was bought out by Lloyds).  Apparently the Pharmacy has to stump up the cost of purchasing medication.  It is then refunded by I'm assuming now Manxcare.  However the delay between the refund can run into months.  It was becoming unviable from a credit point of view for a Mum & Pop style Pharmacy to be able to fund this and naturally a large group would be better able to cope with such delays to cashflow. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Omobono said:

We don't do sensible contracts LoL 😂

6 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I would have thought it would be higher for France, they seem to be every other store with their funky green illuminated cross.  I wouldn't have thought Greece would be such a sickly nation either. 

I must say I'd noticed the same omnipresence of green crosses when I was in Greece and this article from 2014 explains the situation there - you'll notice that the number of pharmacies per population has dropped quite a bit since.

6 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I remember speaking to a Pharmacist along these lines (who was bought out by Lloyds).  Apparently the Pharmacy has to stump up the cost of purchasing medication.  It is then refunded by I'm assuming now Manxcare.  However the delay between the refund can run into months.  It was becoming unviable from a credit point of view for a Mum & Pop style Pharmacy to be able to fund this and naturally a large group would be better able to cope with such delays to cashflow. 

why don't manxdon'tcare just open their own pharmacies and then there are no delays in paying or shortage of drugs.

• Like 1