MHK’s being childish

Asthehills

2 hours ago, Holte End said:

image.png.17a64e7933e4c5713000808b23c6e122.png

What everyone forgets is that Rob Callister outburst in keys, that lead to the report, Above is what is ignited Poopers response. Rob Callister never seems to base his answers on facts, just feelings.

To be fair to Callister there, he's just using a common tactic that a lot of us do.  If you say "Person X is factually incorrect" you may be laying yourself open to legal action as you are making a statement that can be contested.  Then, at the very least, there's a danger that Skelly will declare any discussion of the topic sub judice for the next 500 years.

If you say "I feel that person X is ..." then you are making a statement about your own feelings, and the only person who can say whether that that is true or not is yourself.  In reality this may not be a legally perfect get-out clause, just as saying "allegedly" after some juice piece of skeet isn't, but it's a common one and why Callister referred to his 'feelings' here.

3 hours ago, Holte End said:

What everyone forgets is that Rob Callister outburst in keys, that lead to the report, Above is what is ignited Poopers response.

It goes back to the skeleton argument relating to Dr Ranson, where Hooper said in Tynwald it was done under delegated authority as Callister was absent. Callister has since said he wasn’t absent and hadn’t signed the delegated authority.

Callister has said he feels he was pushed out of DHSC by the civil servants. So my interpretation is that he’s trying to get at the civil servants through Hooper, as clearly Hooper’s remarks in Tynwald will have been prepared by the staff.

It would also explains Hooper’s tantrum about this. A great way to deflect rather than address Callister’s allegation directly. Hooper doesn’t state that he (Hooper) hasn’t lied, he decides to point out Callister’s previous issue. So I’m going to guess Callister is actually right on this one.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

It goes back to the skeleton argument relating to Dr Ranson, where Hooper said in Tynwald it was done under delegated authority as Callister was absent. Callister has since said he wasn’t absent and hadn’t signed the delegated authority.

Callister has said he feels he was pushed out of DHSC by the civil servants. So my interpretation is that he’s trying to get at the civil servants through Hooper, as clearly Hooper’s remarks in Tynwald will have been prepared by the staff.

It would also explains Hooper’s tantrum about this. A great way to deflect rather than address Callister’s allegation directly. Hooper doesn’t state that he (Hooper) hasn’t lied, he decides to point out Callister’s previous issue. So I’m going to guess Callister is actually right on this one.

What a mess! What a waste of resources, time and energy. The island needs better, badly let down by its civil servants, politicians, leaders etc. 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

What leaders?

CM Cannan isn’t a leader, but if you listen to the rumours, and there are lots of them he follows the pub and the ladies. I have nothing against either, but setting a standard for others to follow? Hmmmmm. 

11 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

What?

???

In all fairness I don’t expect moral rectitude or living life as a monk, but the stories flying around, whether true, untrue or elements of truth don’t reflect well, certainly when we require ‘leaders’ with social and moral responsibility. 

35 minutes ago, 2112 said:

???

In all fairness I don’t expect moral rectitude or living life as a monk, but the stories flying around, whether true, untrue or elements of truth don’t reflect well, certainly when we require ‘leaders’ with social and moral responsibility. 

Does ”he follows the pub” mean he goes to the pub?

Surely that’s a good place to meet and chat with constituents or are you suggesting he shouldn’t have a social life?

Edited by Asthehills

7 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Down”he follows the pub” mean he goes to the pub?

Surely that’s a good place to meet and chat with constituents or are you suggesting he shouldn’t have a social life?

How about a coffee with constituents in a cafe? Does it have to involve alcohol? Personally he can do what he wants. Rob Callister goes to the noodle bar, or has a coffee and in all honesty you don’t hear tales of drinking or womanising, and he has loads of faults and idiosyncrasies. As Chief Minister you are Leader, you should set an example to others, a guide for others - a moral compass, espousing compassion, empathy and understanding. Still that’s that’s only what I think. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, 2112 said:

As Chief Minister you are Leader, you should set an example to others, a guide for others - a moral compass, espousing compassion, empathy and understanding. Still that’s that’s only what I think.

I agree with you.

I don’t see what going to the pub has to do with that though 🤷‍♂️

22 minutes ago, 2112 said:

As Chief Minister you are Leader, you should set an example to others, a guide for others - a moral compass, espousing compassion, empathy and understanding. Still that’s that’s only what I think. 

I like what you think. 

• Like 2

Some of the old school politicians got up to all sorts of shenanigans, but they didn’t leave the island in a complete mess. Rogues, Villains and Bent - I’m sure we can relate stories. I just want normal boring respectability, family leaning, setting a good example. Knows how to use a knife and fork, speak well, not a shouty gobby idiot, capable of thinking without the aid of a civil servant. Not forgetting knows how to act in public, dress appropriately in colour coordinated fashion, doesn’t act like a buffoon either. Perhaps I’m asking too much? 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

I agree with you.

I don’t see what going to the pub has to do with that though 🤷‍♂️

I see nothing wrong with going to the pub. Having a drink, a pint, glass or short is acceptable. However, what I am saying, based upon stories of heavy drinking (which may or not be true), coupled with the famous personal life stories (which again may or not be true) doesn’t reflect well. I don’t want our politicos on the piss, raving it up, creating scandals etc. I don’t want them either indulging in petty arguments (either if Rob Callister is proven right, he should just let it rest), spats, Twitter or Facebook arguments either. A real CM leader would be banging heads together, uniting MHKs to work together, to sort out the mess the island is in. Hooperman has a Department in such a demoralising mess, and he is incapable of doing anything but bullshit. Rob Callister has his faults but to some extent he could easily do supporting departmental roles. He also provides the island with comical light relief, which lightens the mood and provides a water cooler moment. 

What we have is a CM who is ineffective, has allowed power battles to happen, won’t rule with an iron fist. Personally I would put Clare Barber to Health - she can’t do any worse, and Hooperman can deal with Animal, Vegetable or Mineral.