MHK’s being childish

Asthehills

7 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

How many new houses have been built since the last election?

Or trees planted?  I recall that being the genius solution from all of them when it came to green/carbon issues. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Or trees planted?  I recall that being the genius solution from all of them when it came to green/carbon issues. 

Hardly any houses built.  Loads sat at planning but anything of any scale is massively delayed or refused due to our archaic planning department.

I am not convinced by the benefit of planting a few trees here and there if they are grown in a plastic pot made in China in a greenhouse then driven to their new home and planted by a load of volunteers who turn up in their 4 by 4s wearing green wellies made in China, but I am a self proclaimed doubter when it comes to a lot of what I see as virtue signalling.  It’s the same as putting an aluminium can in a plastic box that’s picked up by a diesel lorry and shipped to the UK.  I am not saying either aren’t necessarily worthwhile, but I would like to see the figures.

We desperately need lots of new houses.  Has anyone seen any reporting on the Hartford Homes Braddan development being in front of the planning committee this week?  I thought press would be all over that

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Hardly any houses built.  Loads sat at planning but anything of any scale is massively delayed or refused due to our archaic planning department.

I am not convinced by the benefit of planting a few trees here and there if they are grown in a plastic pot made in China in a greenhouse then driven to their new home and planted by a load of volunteers who turn up in their 4 by 4s wearing green wellies made in China, but I am a self proclaimed doubter when it comes to a lot of what I see as virtue signalling.  It’s the same as putting an aluminium can in a plastic box that’s picked up by a diesel lorry and shipped to the UK.  I am not saying either aren’t necessarily worthwhile, but I would like to see the figures.

We desperately need lots of new houses.  Has anyone seen any reporting on the Hartford Homes Braddan development being in front of the planning committee this week?  I thought press would be all over that

We don’t desperately need new houses   There’s 6000 empty ones allegedly. 
the developers are ruining our fields and countryside with over development 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, forestboy said:

Ruining our fields and countryside! 😂😂

People don’t want old houses , and a I seriously dispute there being 6000 empty.

How many houses are on the island?  6000 must be at least 10 percent, probably more than 15 percent.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, forestboy said:

With how we are currently, who in their right mind is going to come and occupy the said new houses !

• Like 4

2 hours ago, asitis said:

With how we are currently, who in their right mind is going to come and occupy the said new houses !

Well they all seem to be selling, and in the case of anything under about half a million are pretty much oversubscribed.

I have a niece and her partner and a nephew on his own who have both recently purchased in their late 20’s.

People complain rental prices are too high and house prices are too high, then say we don’t need more stock.  Stock that can actually be mortgaged for young people.  It’s madness.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Well they all seem to be selling, and in the case of anything under about half a million are pretty much oversubscribed.

I have a niece and her partner and a nephew on his own who have both recently purchased in their late 20’s.

People complain rental prices are too high and house prices are too high, then say we don’t need more stock.  Stock that can actually be mortgaged for young people.  It’s madness.

You're seriously deluded if you think that throwing up a load more houses would somehow make them more affordable!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, finlo said:

You're seriously deluded if you think that throwing up a load more houses would somehow make them more affordable!

Can you explain how it wouldn’t?

There is basically nothing available to rent at the moment so prices are high because stuff is snapped up by the highest bidder as soon as it is listed.

Surely basic supply and demand says if there were hundreds of empty rentals and landlords were fighting to fill them then prices would start coming down?

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

Can you explain how it wouldn’t?

There is basically nothing available to rent at the moment so prices are high because stuff is snapped up by the highest bidder as soon as it is listed.

Surely basic supply and demand says if there were hundreds of empty rentals and landlords were fighting to fill them then prices would start coming down?

I never mentioned rentals but you surely know a certain developer in cahoots with the local estate agents have artificially inflated house prices (including rentals) for the last thirty years.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, finlo said:

I never mentioned rentals but you surely know a certain developer in cahoots with the local estate agents have artificially inflated house prices (including rentals) for the last thirty years.

You replied to a post that talked about rentals and selling prices.  The same applies to both.

What on earth are you talking about?  Do you have any evidence to support what you are claiming or is it as made up as the post about The Ginger Hall closing?

If you could come back with some actual facts or evidence rather than turning to abuse when you are shown to be wrong that would be a refreshing change.

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

But they really aren't  all selling/ selling to the people that need them, We absolutely do NOT need more stock when Dandara have a healthy portfolio of rentals that they could/should sell at affordable prices ...  IOMG needs to get a proper grip on what housing stock developers hold (not just our favourite) that are essentially 'build to rent' boosting only the developers wallet.   Whilst this pre-occupation with quantity over quality (and that goes for immigration too) enables developers to take the easy way digging up fields building satellite 'towns' because we need cheap houses we face a bleak future.  1st time buyer and mortgages need scrutiny.  I work with a person who earns too much for 1st time buyer scheme but too little for a mortgage.. this is where the developers and investors are raking it in.  We need to move the emphasis on brownfield sites being commercial and get people living back in the centres to bring vibrancy back into towns.  Its heartbreaking to see villages being ruined with no appreciable benefit to anybody other than the developer. 

Edited by daisy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, daisy said:

But they really aren't  all selling/ selling to the people that need them, We absolutely do NOT need more stock when Dandara have a healthy portfolio of rentals that they could/should sell at affordable prices ...  IOMG needs to get a proper grip on what housing stock developers hold (not just our favourite) that are essentially 'build to rent' boosting only the developers wallet.   Whilst this pre-occupation with quantity over quality (and that goes for immigration too) and allowing developers to take the easy way digging up fields building satellite 'towns' because we need cheap houses we face a bleak future.  1st time buyer and mortgages need scrutiny.  I work with a person who earns too much for 1st time buyer scheme but too little for a mortgage.. this is where the developers and investors are raking it in.  We need to move the emphasis on brownfield sites being commercial and get people living back in the centres to bring vibrancy back into towns.  Its heartbreaking to see villages being ruined with no appreciable benefit to anybody other than the developer. 

MDC are trying to do that.  People are moaning 😂

1 minute ago, finlo said:

Daisy beat me to it but it's been one dirty trick after another with that shower.

Funny how properly was very affordable here until they rucked up!

Have you heard of inflation?

Have you got any evidence for your claim they work with estate agent to artificially inflate values?  Which agents?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

Have you heard of inflation?

Have you got any evidence for your claim they work with estate agent to artificially inflate values?  Which agents?

As Daisy states holding back finished property to push the price up an that little matter recently of giving people their deposits back then demanding more money if they still wanted them etc!

• Like 2