"The island should be energy self-sufficient" debate in Tynwald

Moghrey Mie

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

True. Technically you were quoting maximums for everything else. The hydro only runs in winter as well so probably does about an average of 200kw per day

The amount of electricity generated by the EFW plant is published. But I confess I don't understand the units

https://suez.co.im/what-we-do/energy-recovery/electricity-generation/

I think most of the electricity they produce is used to run the incinerator plant.

20 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

I think most of the electricity they produce is used to run the incinerator plant.

It averages about 100MWh a day , pulrose is rated at 84MW x 24hr = 2000MWh a day (assuming they run at full output which they don't all the time).

So very crudely, EWP plant has 100/2000 = 5% and Sulby is about 1%, Peel being  40MW or about 47% of Pulrose.

The interconnector is 65MW or about 77% of Pulrose.

The solution is more interconnectors to hook up to UK & Ireland (or Scotland) to tap into economy of scawel and relaibility of both megascale renewables like wind/hydro and nuclear. In additon the UK is connected to European continent which has an even bigger capacity.

Relaibility and cost are the critical factors. If you want a view of how bad things could get without that, just look at South Africa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

It averages about 100MWh a day , pulrose is rated at 84MW x 24hr = 2000MWh a day (assuming they run at full output which they don't all the time).

So very crudely, EWP plant has 100/2000 = 5% and Sulby is about 1%, Peel being  40MW or about 47% of Pulrose.

The interconnector is 65MW or about 77% of Pulrose.

The solution is more interconnectors to hook up to UK & Ireland (or Scotland) to tap into economy of scawel and relaibility of both megascale renewables like wind/hydro and nuclear. In additon the UK is connected to European continent which has an even bigger capacity.

Relaibility and cost are the critical factors. If you want a view of how bad things could get without that, just look at South Africa.

That explains it very well. Thank you.

I agree, self sufficiency should be chosen if it's going to be the most reliable and has the lowest while life cost. Neither are likely to apply and therefore import (with a good proportion of re renewables of our own) is always going to win. 

The is a whole report on it, just Google isle of man future energy 

4 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

EfW is rated 4MW but some days produces 119MWh, so practically closer to 5MW. Your Pulrose figure is gas generation only.

EfW produced nothing for 25 days in May

This is an extremely low level question but instead of opening a new thread for it… and be never known how to work out what individual appliances costs to run. I’m sure the formals is very simple but I don’t know what it is. For example, if I wanted to go a bit wild in the winter and wanted to turn my lava lamp on and it has a 25watt bulb, how much would that cost me for an hour? If I know the formula I can work everything out…

4 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

This is an extremely low level question but instead of opening a new thread for it… and be never known how to work out what individual appliances costs to run. I’m sure the formals is very simple but I don’t know what it is. For example, if I wanted to go a bit wild in the winter and wanted to turn my lava lamp on and it has a 25watt bulb, how much would that cost me for an hour? If I know the formula I can work everything out…

We'll. If it's a 25w bulb it will use 25*60w per hour. Thats 1500w which is 1.5kwh.

If say a kwh is 22p then it will cost you 22* 1.5  33p

11 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Electric is sold in units of kW. So once you know the unit price it’s easy.

A 1 kW electric bar fire uses 1000 watts, one unit, per hour, a 3kW one uses three times as much.

So your lava lamp uses 25/1000 x unit price.

Lets pretend the unit price is 20p ( or £0.20 ) the one bar fire costs 20p per hour and your lava lamp costs 25/1000 x 0.2 = 0.5p per hour.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

We'll. If it's a 25w bulb it will use 25*60w per hour. Thats 1500w which is 1.5kwh.

Way out. A 25 watt bulb uses 25 watts per hour, not 1.5kW

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

Electric is sold in units of kW. So once you know the unit price it’s easy.

A 1 kW electric bar fire uses 1000 watts, one unit, per hour, a 3kW one uses three times as much.

So your lava lamp uses 25/1000 x unit price.

Lets pretend the unit price is 20p ( or £0.20 ) the one bar fire costs 20p per hour and your lava lamp costs 25/1000 x 0.2 = 0.5p per hour.

Perfect. Thank you. I didn’t have it on at all last winter thinking it cost a fortune. Twenty pence for four hours sounds like a bargain! 

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

If it's a 25w bulb it will use 25*60w per hour. Thats 1500w which is 1.5kwh.

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Let’s pretend the unit price is 20p ( or £0.20 ) the one bar fire costs 20p per hour and your lava lamp costs 25/1000 x 0.2 = 0.5p per hour.

H’mmm…who is correct?

4 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

H’mmm…who is correct?

If @Happier diner is correct it means a one bar electric fire rated at 1kw would cost £0.33 x 40 to run each hour. That’s £13.20 an hour, and a 3 bar fire £39.60. I know Manx electricity isn’t cheap, but….

• Like 1
  • Haha 1