Minister of Treasury - Dr Spend - waffle, spin, deflect

Mann O Mann

4 hours ago, 2112 said:

Yes. Calculating the IOMs share of the VAT revenue sharing agreement.

There is obviously been a lack of uptake or participation for Allinson to be pleading with the great unwashed to spend time completing forms. It’s hardly motivating. Perhaps it’s should be compulsory like the census? Maybe taxpayers should be encouraged to give misleading statistics, the more the merrier, so the Treasury gets more revenue?

After looking over the forms they went straight into the bin! I think they are time consuming, intrusive and unnecessary.

Most of the pertinent information is already available to the government if their systems were up to date and organised as a collective instead of so many managers and departments. They already have info. on tax, income and expenditure or it can be worked out using the info. they already have.

Just my opinion of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

After looking over the forms they went straight into the bin! I think they are time consuming, intrusive and unnecessary.

Most of the pertinent information is already available to the government if their systems were up to date and organised as a collective instead of so many managers and departments. They already have info. on tax, income and expenditure or it can be worked out using the info. they already have.

Just my opinion of course.

Yes I thought exactly the same, if they’re that important they should up the remuneration rate to say £500 for each complete form plus draw for £2/3k rather than the minimal amounts offered.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

That may be true for some items, but they wouldn't necessarily have your permission to access it.  And they wouldn't know how much stuff you bought from off-Island for example.  Unless you want the Government to have complete access to your bank account and the right to quiz you about every transaction (and even that wouldn't pick up cash purchases) then it's difficult to see what else they can do.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Then just ask for the necessary items instead of asking the population to do their work.

The point still remains about the lack of cohesion and collaboration within their systems. Little empires?

No, there is a separation of personal information between govt depts. For example, a parent of a uni student has to provide their tax assessment to the DoE each year.  

ETA the Treasury only know of your net taxable income, not what you spend your money on or where. 

Edited by Gladys

Do they need to know individual income other than for tax purposes? I would have thought that VAT returns from businesses plus their taxable income and other relevant info. that the govt already has would be adequate for working out the calculation for VAT rebate from UK.

Or we could just do what Guernsey and Jersey do?

7 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Do they need to know individual income other than for tax purposes? I would have thought that VAT returns from businesses plus their taxable income and other relevant info. that the govt already has would be adequate for working out the calculation for VAT rebate from UK.

Or we could just do what Guernsey and Jersey do?

But I think the point is to demonstrate how much is also spent to off island VAT registered businesses. 

• Like 1